NameSilo

ICANN Says Verisign Misleading the Public About WLS!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I am beginning to like this specifically, the last point in the letter

"A blackout period during which no registrar will be allowed to place a WLS subscription on a domain name for a period commencing 10 days prior to the scheduled expiration date for such domain name, and continuing for the duration of the auto-renew grace period lasting up to 45 days following the scheduled expiration date."

If I am reading this correctly, it will give the little guy the opportunity to grab some decent names

•••
If the registrar can't place an order, how are you going to get a WLS as they ALL have to be placed by registrars? I took it to mean WLS subs must be purchased prior to 10 days before expiration?

•••
Originally posted by Duke
If the registrar can't place an order, how are you going to get a WLS as they ALL have to be placed by registrars? I took it to mean WLS subs must be purchased prior to 10 days before expiration?

I am reading it as. WLS Backorders cannot be place on a domain prior to 10 days before it expires and until after it comes out of Register Lock/Hold stage.(45 days after whois expiry)

Does this mean WLS will only be allowed on Redemption Period and Pending Delete Names?

•••
Looks exactly OPPOSITE from that to me. You could place one right up to 10 days prior to deletion, but then not until it goes into RGP .

Here is the exact quote:

"A blackout period during which no registrar will be allowed to place a WLS subscription on a domain name for a period commencing 10 days prior to the scheduled expiration date for such domain name, and continuing for the duration of the auto-renew grace period lasting up to 45 days following the scheduled expiration date."

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by Duke
Looks exactly OPPOSITE from that to me. You could place one right up to 10 days prior to deletion, but then not until it goes into RGP .

Here is the exact quote:

Thank you for the news Duke. I read it the same as you.

I like that WLS cannot be placed on names that are in the deletion process. That should leave at least part of the dropping domains industry intact.

•••
It may open up a whole new drop game. What happens when a lot of people discover a good domain that is already in the blackout period. There could be 20 people who want to slap a WLS on it the second it comes out of blackout (at the start of RGP). Maybe the current dropcatchers will offer a payservice to go after those WLS subscriptions.

•••
I have read it again, and will have to agree with you guys. I guess it was only wishful thinking on my part.

•••
Nice! I need to catch up with this kind of news!

•••
Now why am I not suprised about what NetSol's been up to?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back