IT.COM

domains ICANN has approved Donuts’ proposed drop-catching service

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
ICANN has approved Donuts’ proposed drop-catching service, DropZone, despite concerns it could add cost to the dropping domains market.

The Org and Donuts subsidiaries representing over 200 gTLDs signed amendments September 29 that incorporate DropZone into their Registry Agreements, according to ICANN records.

The full new text in the amendments, which does a pretty good job of describing the service, is:

Dropzone Service

Registry Operator may offer the Dropzone service, which is a Registry Service that will manage the release of domain names that have reached the end of their life cycle.

The Dropzone is a separate system, parallel to the main EPP system, that will manage on a daily basis the release of domain names that have been purged for a short period of time, called the Dropzone. Any TLD-accredited registrars may use the Dropzone to register a recently-purged domain name.

On a daily basis, at the end of the Dropzone period, the Registry will execute an awarding process, which will select, per domain name, the first domain creation request submitted (first come, first serve).

What the amendment doesn’t mention are fees.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can't find anywhere which describes the process for buyers or dropping owners. But this seems like a MASSIVE sweeping change to the dropping process. So, I would like to know how I can use it to my advantage, and to minimalize any disadvantages. It seems HIGHLY ambiguous from the skirting reviews I've seen.

I also think it is a backhand method for Donuts to regain control of dropping premium domains. They put the first bid on every domain, automatically. Which smells really bad from here.

Last edited:
•••
I can't find anywhere which describes the process for buyers or dropping owners. But this seems like a MASSIVE sweeping change to the dropping process. So, I would like to know how I can use it to my advantage, and to minimalize any disadvantages. It seems HIGHLY ambiguous from the skirting reviews I've seen.

I also think it is a backhand method for Donuts to regain control of dropping premium domains. They put the first bid on every domain, automatically. Which smells really bad from here.

Maybe there's something else; a strategy; tactically pricing dropping domain (product) higher mean that the company will have a higher valuation. Pre IPO move?

•••
Maybe there's something else; a strategy; tactically pricing dropping domain (product) higher mean that the company will have a higher valuation. Pre IPO move?

Is Donuts having an IPO? Where can I find more info? They're writing complete control of the fate of every domain in every TLD they own. That sounds highly uncompetitive to me.

•••
Is Donuts having an IPO?

I don't know... for now, there are no signs of that but there are several micro-signs that indicates that a company (investors) is about to make the big move.

Last edited:
•••
Oh god! I hope it's not GoDaddy....

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••

Yep. Sound like a lousy bunch of people. I didn't follow that failed acquisition to closely. But it does show how Ethos operate. Say anything to get the deal done. Then quietly change it later on. This backorder system for Donuts dropping domains is a case in point. They don't exclude Donuts or anybody associated with Donuts from bidding on these domains. It's the first bid which wins it. Who do you think is going to be the first bidder on premium domains which drop? It's a sham.

•••
Back