IT.COM

I worked for a domain registrar. AMA (Ask Me Anything)

NameSilo
Watch

Mifuru

Neko? NoTop Member
Impact
Hello, everybody!

My name is Konstantin, I joined NamePros in 2016 when I decided to start working with domains. I have made 10 successful sales through NamePros, but I have done the most as a separate agent for my clients.

In 2019 I set up my own service to resell domains and within a year I had over 1000 domains under my service, and in 2020 I joined US domain registrar Epik as a regional manager and worked for over 1.5 years before I quit. I had 4500 domains as of February 2022 and 16800 domains as of September 2023. I am available to answer all your questions except for the details of working directly for Epik.

My old posts:

Ask Me Anything.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Samer,, you can see sigs on smartphones if you hold your phone sideways. The way it doesn't work at Dan. And quick view of OP profile says Kyiv.
Thanks @Mifuru for starting thread and being so open.
Hope all is well over there

•••
•••
Samer,, you can see sigs on smartphones if you hold your phone sideways. The way it doesn't work at Dan. And quick view of OP profile says Kyiv.
All is well, i feel terrible, for assuming OP was from one of those three countries. Really Sorry, again!

Last edited:
•••
Compant name, pm or so
Thanks

Uk Parliament Zelensky GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:
•••
What is your region? Is it “Russia”?
You realize sanctions are outside our hands.
It helps to not invade others and re-define borders 2022.
? It's literally in his sig and profile

sig - CEO in 🇺🇦 Ukrainian startup. Domainer for 8 years.

Profile - Ukraine, Kyiv - https://www.namepros.com/members/mifuru.992621/

"futility of my region (Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and slavic countries) for the company."

Russia is my old region, which I worked with before the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. The region is primarily former Soviet Union countries, as there are few Russian speakers in European countries, I work with Slavic countries (Ukraine, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, etc.).

I haven't worked with Russians since 2023, when I was able to get rid of all Russian and Belarusians clients. It was hard mentally and physically, because it is extremely difficult to get rid of a portfolio of 2-3 thousand domains in a couple of months.

When working for registrars, I have to point out that clients from Eastern Europe are less than 5%. It is very difficult to work with clients who always want everything cheap.

•••
Since you were @ Epik in 2020 and 2021 you probably know of me, the guy from Virginia Beach, Va and the biggest promoter of the .Realty domains when Epik was selling them for $1 each.

As a business guy very familiar with real estate I really liked the .Realty extension and I still like it despite 99.9% of the domains registered dropped after a year........one reason being the renewal fee was $299.

Fast forward to now, and you probably know that Jay Westerdal sold .Realty to Shayan Rostan who use to work for and I believe was one of the founders of Uniregistry.

To cut to the chase, you've learned like me that few if any of the new TLD extensions sell via inbound. However, i believe a strategic targeted outbound marketing plan for .Realty can be a real winner for the new owners, if only they knew how to do it. What do you think Mifuru?

If you're interested in talking or meeting with me I'm available. Thanks

ps. send me a PM if you're interested, or connect with me on Linkedin

OK, I sent you a private message.

Regarding this domain zone, I'll be honest - the promotion was good, but extremely unstable for the end user, not even for the registrar. For the registrar to spend ICANN Fee, to process the payment - it costs somewhere around 7% of the final price, if there is no additional tax for the payment.

I think a better idea for this zone would be the following scheme - for the first registrar, domain registration is $0.99 to gain customers, and renewal is $9.99. Jay's mistake is that he thought that with 15,000 domains (as far as I can remember this figure was playing in the public record) obtained in one small registration period he could make 300000% profit next year.

Unfortunately, registrar and zone maintenance is VERY expensive. I myself personally convinced when I created my hosting infrastructure. The best solution for any registrar or registry, is to register for $4.99 and renew for $29.99. A comfortable price means more retail customers.

•••

All OK, thanks!

OP trying to get a job at Epik 2.0 🙏

My earnings at Epik were not as high as I now earn separately, offering domain administration and hosting services to my Slavic clients. Now my salary is 15 times more than what I used to earn at Epik.

I am not waiting for Epik 2.0. I certainly want to see a registrar that cares about domainer clients. A banal standard registrar that will not be sold later by GoDaddy like Uniregistry. This is Frank's big mistake, GoDaddy is a market parasite destroying competition with its monopoly.

•••
All is well, i feel terrible, for assuming OP was from one of those three countries. Really Sorry, again!
It's OK, don't worry.
Living in Ukraine is better than in Russia or Belarus.
Business on the Internet is welcome here and is easier to run.

Compant name, pm or so
Thanks

Uk Parliament Zelensky GIF by GIPHY News

I for my own personal reasons don't want to publish the name of the company. I am currently working on entering the EU and US market with an offer for everyone. Hosting, domains, DDoS protection. You will soon see my brand on NamePros as well.

•••
OK, I sent you a private message.

Regarding this domain zone, I'll be honest - the promotion was good, but extremely unstable for the end user, not even for the registrar. For the registrar to spend ICANN Fee, to process the payment - it costs somewhere around 7% of the final price, if there is no additional tax for the payment.

I think a better idea for this zone would be the following scheme - for the first registrar, domain registration is $0.99 to gain customers, and renewal is $9.99. Jay's mistake is that he thought that with 15,000 domains (as far as I can remember this figure was playing in the public record) obtained in one small registration period he could make 300000% profit next year.

Unfortunately, registrar and zone maintenance is VERY expensive. I myself personally convinced when I created my hosting infrastructure. The best solution for any registrar or registry, is to register for $4.99 and renew for $29.99. A comfortable price means more retail customers.
Thanks....i did just respond to your PM and look forward to learning more from your posts here on NamePros(y)

•••
•••
I for my own personal reasons don't want to publish the name of the company. I am currently working on entering the EU and US market with an offer for everyone. Hosting, domains, DDoS protection. You will soon see my brand on NamePros as well.
Top OP quotes:
''I haven't worked with Russians since 2023, when I was able to get rid of all Russian and Belarusians clients...''
''...they have been hiring Hindus and I think this is a fatal mistake...''
'' ...I have to point out that clients from Eastern Europe are less than 5%. It is very difficult to work with clients who always want everything cheap.''

Good luck going internationally with your work ethic. Waiting impatiently for your company to go worldwide - so I can never ever work with you.

•••
Top OP quotes:
''I haven't worked with Russians since 2023, when I was able to get rid of all Russian and Belarusians clients...''
'' ...I have to point out that clients from Eastern Europe are less than 5%. It is very difficult to work with clients who always want everything cheap.''

Good luck going internationally with your work ethic. Waiting impatiently for your company to go worldwide - so I can never ever work with you.
How to win friends and influence people.....NOT.

•••
What registrar are you reselling?

•••
I don't want to talk specifically about teamwork, but about the functions of the registrar, reseller job, I'm happy to answer your questions. I hope you undertand me.

Most people are VERY misled about the work of resellers and registrars.

For example, that they organise domain transfer campaigns at their own expense, making gifts of unprecedented generosity to domainers.

My task is to answer your questions, if you have them.
I was the Super Affiliate during those years while you ''worked' for Epik I might have even ''sourced" you but cannot recall that you did anything important for Epik

Attachments

• 115y.jpg
    115y.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 105
•••
May I ask how you picked up your names? I am very curious considering at one point I had like (30) $199 backorders at Epik and never caught a single name. In hindsight, I was clearly giving Epik interest free loans; so my mind leads me to deduce that the drops were all being caught by those in-house accounts; while leaving my $199 in the coffers of a service that really had no interest in catching names for me -- but did have an interest in seeing that the $199 remained in (I believe, but could be wrong) interest-bearing accounts that paid interest to Epik, but not me. Did you catch those domains using the Epik drop service? How did you accumulate so many names so fast?

•••
Lately they have been hiring Hindus and I think this is a fatal mistake of the company.

I'm no Hindu but this particular statement from this idiot makes me wonder about what in the world is he trying to achieve with this thread.. to me he's probably someone craving for attention SMH

•••
Top OP quotes:

We do not offer services to Russians.

What registrar are you reselling?

My primary registrar is Internet.bs. It presents the best partnership solutions on the market, given that it requires no investment in account creation and domain management. The best solution is an offshore zone, which is where this registrar is registered.

Hi! As an absolute beginner, I find it difficult to understand what is being discussed here, except for GGEE.com.
I saw it was available, tried registering and could not, then asked ICANN support about it, and they suggested I should contact the Registry. There (Verisign Help) I was informed that GGEE.com cannot be registered again because it is on a list included in an agreement between Icann and the Registry of names that must be reserved and not registered (except if they were to be renewed, which is not the case here since this domain was dropped early in August).

I just share this info in case it is useful for anyone, but I know that it is not the main subject of your conversation here, so please excuse me if I sort of interrupted.
Yeah, it is more than likely related to the .GGEE extension.

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/ggee.html

I assume it was on the block list, but grandfathered while it was registered.

When the domain expired it entered a registry reserved / block status.

Brad
For a short period abused (TM) by gmo-game .com

That's right, the domain is reserved by the registry. I'm sure you, like me, were wondering why such a premium-level domain was free, yet so inaccessible.

I was the Super Affiliate during those years while you ''worked' for Epik I might have even ''sourced" you but cannot recall that you did anything important for Epik

As far as I remember, I didn't work with you directly.

My work is primarily related to clients from the former Soviet Union. The task of any regional manager is to help newcomers to domaining to solve problems with mass domain registration, and large companies to solve problems with legal registration of domains.

To my surprise, but even big and large corporations - do not know how to work with domain names. The big problem among them is really to set up a DNS for a domain or set up mail. Services like MarkMonitor and CorporateDomains on this and work so well, because a set of services that help to solve issues with domains, not to study how they work.

You are a total 100% fake

Why do you think that? You can ask the NamePros team - I actually used to work for the company and I don't hide it.

May I ask how you picked up your names? I am very curious considering at one point I had like (30) $199 backorders at Epik and never caught a single name. In hindsight, I was clearly giving Epik interest free loans; so my mind leads me to deduce that the drops were all being caught by those in-house accounts; while leaving my $199 in the coffers of a service that really had no interest in catching names for me -- but did have an interest in seeing that the $199 remained in (I believe, but could be wrong) interest-bearing accounts that paid interest to Epik, but not me. Did you catch those domains using the Epik drop service? How did you accumulate so many names so fast?

- May I ask how you picked up your names?

If you're asking about domain selection, I register domains that are perfectly pronounceable primarily in my region. Memorable names are a priority in my selection.

- I am very curious considering at one point I had like (30) $199 backorders at Epik and never caught a single name. Did you catch those domains using the Epik drop service?

Based on my intercept experience, I can assure you that the intercept system works correctly. I have personally intercepted a dozen domains for my clients, but these domains are not .com .net .org.

The domain zones above are extremely competitive, so it is technically impossible to intercept a domain from one registrar.

Typically, companies like GName, Dropcatch, Dynadot, NetworkSolutions create registrars with one goal in mind - to spam the registry's API servers. The more requests, the higher the priority and chance to receive a domain.

Epik has one registrar, it cannot compete with such giants I listed above. For this reason, most often, you and did not get domains in these zones.

In all other zones, such as .network .club .company .solutions and others, interceptions were fully functional.

- How did you accumulate so many names so fast?

This number of domains, more often than not, I got at the expense of the registrar's shares. Many registrars organize promotions in coordination with the zone registry.

For example, the same .reality. 16000 domains were registered. It is a big mistake to make a high renewal price, but since most companies offer discounts on domains from the volume - my clients stay and renew domains.

I'm no Hindu but this particular statement from this idiot makes me wonder about what in the world is he trying to achieve with this thread.. to me he's probably someone craving for attention SMH

I say what I think and how I think. If you don't agree with that, I understand.

Last edited:
•••
--nm--

Last edited:
•••
We do not offer services to Russians.

People like you are the reason for what is happening in Ukraine right now, not the consequence.

•••
1. How to successfully get 1000+ domain customers?
2. Can you recommend any good registrar automation software which can generate ICANN TLD registrar reports, etc?

•••
how much You can earn from reselling domain i mean for example from 1 com domain what is %?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back