Dynadot

discuss I Will Not Sell My Domain Names For Cheap Anymore

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
If you believe that your domain name is good enough, don't sell it for cheap, just patience.
After one of my domain names sold at Namejet auction for $69, and within less than 24 hours, I have received a counter offer from Godaddy broker for $3,000.
Unfortunately that was happened with me several times in the past.
So I will try not to sell any of my domain names for cheap anymore, I will continue renewing them until get a fair price.
The patience is most important key to success in domain business.
Thanks for all.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • Looks like a very painful price to pay
    Thanks for your sharing and best wishes

•••
•••
Hello guys
If you believe that your domain name is good enough, don't sell it for cheap, just patience.
After one of my domain names sold at Namejet auction for $69, and within less than 24 hours, I have received a counter offer from Godaddy broker for $3,000.
So I will try not to sell any of my domain names for cheap anymore, I will continue renewing them until get a fair price.
Thanks for all.

Depends on how thick your wallet is. Need for emergency funds may outweigh a future lottery win.

Also, on your portfolio size, sell through rate etc.

•••
Depends on how thick your wallet is. Need for emergency funds may outweigh a future lottery win.

Also, on your portfolio size, sell through rate etc.
Thanks for your feedback.
I have mentioned that all about the good names.

Last edited:
•••
Same happen to me.
sold a name at nameliquidation for $9 which i forget to remove from afternic.
one month after i got a mail from afternic that the name have been sold at bin for $999. 😬

•••
Same happen to me.
sold a name at nameliquidation for $9 which i forget to remove from afternic.
one month after i got a mail from afternic that the name have been sold at bin for $999. 😬
That's a huge loss and painful but it's all part of the game, I will say. More opportunities on the way

•••
4 of my SH published domains which i liquidated here on namepros sold actually on SH after few weeks or months , I am still happy my domains are being sold to end user , This is domaining no one knows which names from your portfolio of 700 names will get sold at end really quickly. I am talking about inbounds sale here.

•••
Hello guys
Thanks for all.

so did you sell it on namejet ? or finally sold it for $3000 on afternic ?

•••
so did you sell it on namejet ? or finally sold it for $3000 on afternic ?
It is sold on Namejet.
The offer received next day after the transfer completed.

•••
patience means renewals...it can add up.

what u describe are rarities events

in most cases if we buy a name cheaply..or just reg it.. and we dont sell for that 3fig offer.. we never sell... and just regret not selling in the end.

so putting rare few events like u describe..almost all cases of those names we acquire for say regfee to low xxx... they never get 4 or 5 or 6 fig prices...it is just a dream most of us like to dream.

•••
I am always low balled and insulted when high ball counter. Stick your heels in add another year or 2.

Last edited:
•••
I got a list of 10+ names that I let go and now have end users on them. The rule is patience over everything in this business.

If you have BIN on your names, an idea is to increase the prices 15-20% every renewal. Sniffs out the bottom droppers and may kick a lurking interest to act rather than think they can wait on expiration.

It is also a cost of doing business for you to renew. Why would you devalue your asset every time renewal comes by keeping the same price?

Last edited:
•••
You are just now realizing not to sell cheap?

Well at least now you know (y)

•••
i had the same thing happen to me but on a smaller scale sold my domain on here for 35$ got a 100$ offer the day after ^^

Last edited:
•••
You are just now realizing not to sell cheap?

Well at least now you know (y)
That's happened because I have listed the domain in auction with No reserve, I should set a reserve price.

•••
Hello guys
Thanks for all.

That's true!

One of the hand reg. domain names mentioned @ TheDomains (2017), in 2020 sold for $48K (note: it's up to the buyer/seller to report sale, not me)

•••

But that's the problem with this business. Sometimes you just cant keep looking at that one domain anymore and you decide to drop it or liquidate it. I think we all say, "I'm going to hold onto this name for a long time", but 2 or 3 years later you are questioning your logic and you are thinking you are wasting time and money on it. Many times dropping or liquidating is the right thing to do, but you can never really be sure.

•••
But that's the problem with this business. Sometimes you just cant keep looking at that one domain anymore and you decide to drop it or liquidate it. I think we all say, "I'm going to hold onto this name for a long time", but 2 or 3 years later you are questioning your logic and you are thinking you are wasting time and money on it. Many times dropping or liquidating is the right thing to do, but you can never really be sure.
I think if you purchased a good name, you should considering to renew it not less than 5-6 years.
It will cost you $40-$50, but on the other side you may lose thousands if not.
Thanks for sharing.

•••
Solution to the problem;
Don’t sell to “Resellers”

•••
Before liquidating for less than you believe a domain is worth undertake a concerted outbound campaign whilst collecting feedback where possible. You should get a feeling of whether it is worth holding on to or not.

•••
Before liquidating for less than you believe a domain is worth undertake a concerted outbound campaign whilst collecting feedback where possible. You should get a feeling of whether it is worth holding on to or not.
Most names don't work well for outbounding. Likewise few people give you feedback on why they didn't buy.

•••
few people give you feedback on why they didn't buy.
I think that depends on how the proposal is crafted but take your point about some domains not being suitable for out bounding.

•••
if you had one 57 chevy would you sell it cheap? Well, domain names are one of a kind. Just a reminder that after you sell it it cost more to get it back. :)

there is a happy medium for everything under the sun. Its just that people dont always find it. lol.

Last edited:
•••
This doesn't mean anything. That offer may be fake. Its new owner may be trying to trick you into buying it from him for something in 100-2000 range.

This happened to me as well. I was not fooled.
I allowed a domain to drop. Not dropcatched by anyone. I could handreg second time but didn't.
And then received good offers at different marketplaces. Probably its new owner was making those offers. Or a registrar/marketplace which is aware of an active buyer with big pockets.

Another possibility: There was an inquiry at GD, but GD didn't let you know about it, and decided to wait until it expires hoping they would quitely dropcatch it. Once they lost it , they decided to buy it anyway from whoever owns it and sell simultaneously..Probably not likely but may be possible. ...

And you can get offers or price requests during redemption.. then it becomes a dilemma whether you should restore and renew by paying 90, or let it expire. If you let it expire someone will dropcatch it. But maybe this is just a trick (by the registry or (less likely) the registrar) to make you restore/renew the domain.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back