NameSilo

question I Need Your Advice - Trademark Issues

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LiamShiff

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone,

In about August last year, I grabbed a domain from the Godaddy closeouts because I really liked the name.

Today, I googled this domain I bought and realized that there is another company that owns a variation of this domain and is opening a shopify store.

All of this is good until..... I did a Trademark search and realized -> They have a registered trademark on the name.

The scary part is that my name is a typo of their name... But at the time of the purchase, I had no idea.

Example (these are not the actual domain names, the example is just to illustrate how similar they are):
My domain = letercup.com | Their domain: lettercup.com

The big questions:
-Should I contact them and offer to sell it for a couple hundred bucks more? (just so I can cover my cost and make some profit)?OR
-Should I just park it and benefit from the people that are mistyping the word? OR
- Another suggestion?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess it would be a big mistake to reach out to them as it would be construed as bad faith use of the domain. Maybe wait for the cease and desist letter - if they have a business case and the law is on their side then its best to hand over or delete..until then hustle to get rid of it:xf.grin:...Look forward to hearing expert views on this.

•••
If they have the correct spelling, why would they buy the typo?

•••
•••

It's not worth it unless you're google/facebook? Small companies won't really bother i suppose.

•••
Because their name can be very very easily misspelled (doesn't pass the radio test) so a lot fo their visitors could end up in the wrong website (mine)

•••
Speaking of which, is there any traffic on that domain ? Anyway...

The big questions:
-Should I contact them and offer to sell it for a couple hundred bucks more? (just so I can cover my cost and make some profit)?OR
-Should I just park it and benefit from the people that are mistyping the word?
Doing either is a bad idea, and would probably constitute that bad faith, even though bad faith was absent at the time of purchase.
Option 3: reconsider your plans.

•••
I wouldn’t even worry about it much including stressing over selling it because it probably isn’t anything that company wants much if at all. Reality.

•••
It seems you have now an idea about what happens if they file udrp. I would suggest you to not contact them. You'll earn bad reputation if you lost udrp + cybersquatters tag. Just delete the domain and close this thread. Enjoy the weekend :-P

Last edited:
•••
Speaking of which, is there any traffic on that domain ? Anyway...

Doing either is a bad idea, and would probably constitute that bad faith, even though bad faith was absent at the time of purchase.
Option 3: reconsider your plans.
What kind of plans do you recommend?

•••
There seems to be alot of dishonest people. My thought is there is a little click of people. That are of like mind and they are only about. How they can get over on someone no matter the cost because with them the ends justify their meens .i do know that the person behind the Iana id number 146 seems to have alot to do with owning domains and this persons name is Christopher Cantrell

•••
make a shopify clone with the same exact product and pricing, after several sales profiting couple hundred dollar you may waiting for the TM call LOL

•••
Delete the worthless typo and get on with life.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back