IT.COM

advice I have received interest in a domain...

NameSilo
Watch

bigdomainer

Established and Active MemberTop Member
Impact
Last night, I received an email through what I am assuming is whois because it came through my registrar, asking simply how much am I selling my domain for. I'm hesitant to respond with a number. I feel like if it is a serious inquiry the asker should give his/her best offer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last night, I received an email through what I am assuming is whois because it came through my registrar, asking simply how much am I selling my domain for. I'm hesitant to respond with a number. I feel like if it is a serious inquiry the asker should give his/her best offer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've been at this game a long time and over the years things shift back and forth.

In my case. having a BIN has been working for the last few years. I always set a minimum offer but I determine the full retail price and add 10-20% for negotiation room.

Do your research and determine the worth of the name and set a BIN accordingly. If you import the lead to Dan, it will be a minimum commission.

•••
Upvote 0
- Checking the email, name and location (from the IP address)
- Google the name with the location, i.e. John Smith Los Angeles CA
Many times the requester is holding a high position from the company
Find out how big the company is
Don't counter offer yet, tell him you received higher offer and ask him what to do with the name.
Once you have all the information you can start the negotiation process.
Example: for individual or small company the range may be $xxx to $x,xxx
For big company it could start $xx,xxx
Also it depends on the the quality of the name
I once have a guy started the offer at $xxx but I sold the name in the $xx,xxx after I found out he is a VP of IT from a medium size company.

Good luck!

John

•••
Upvote 0
I've been at this game a long time and over the years things shift back and forth.

In my case. having a BIN has been working for the last few years. I always set a minimum offer but I determine the full retail price and add 10-20% for negotiation room.

Do your research and determine the worth of the name and set a BIN accordingly. If you import the lead to Dan, it will be a minimum commission.
Thanks for the information and advice!

•••
Upvote 0
- Checking the email, name and location (from the IP address)
- Google the name with the location, i.e. John Smith Los Angeles CA
Many times the requester is holding a high position from the company
Find out how big the company is
Don't counter offer yet, tell him you received higher offer and ask him what to do with the name.
Once you have all the information you can start the negotiation process.
Example: for individual or small company the range may be $xxx to $x,xxx
For big company it could start $xx,xxx
Also it depends on the the quality of the name
I once have a guy started the offer at $xxx but I sold the name in the $xx,xxx after I found out he is a VP of IT from a medium size company.

Good luck!

John
This is good information. Thank you for sharing!

•••
Upvote 0
Hi

what is the domain name?
how long have you owned it?
is it a hand reg or aftermarket/forum purchase?
does the domain get any traffic/revenue?
how many previous offers have you received for it?

ask them to submit their best offer.

imo....

•••
Upvote 0
Hi

what is the domain name?
how long have you owned it?
is it a hand reg or aftermarket/forum purchase?
does the domain get any traffic/revenue?
how many previous offers have you received for it?

ask them to submit their best offer.

imo....
These are very good questions to think about, thanks! I will PM you the details.

•••
Upvote 0
Strike while the iron is hot.

A lot of times, i compare situation talking to a woman, have rapport, chemistry and still scared giving your #.

You dont know if you will get the opportunity again!

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Strike while the iron is hot.

A lot of times, i compare situation talking to a woman, have rapport, chemistry and still scared giving your #.

You dont know if you will get the opportunity again!
Thank you!

•••
Upvote 0
What is your domain doing exactly? Is there a landing page which suggests it is for sale?

•••
Upvote 0
What is your domain doing exactly? Is there a landing page which suggests it is for sale?
No, it is a brand new hand reg and does not resolve yet.

•••
Upvote 0
No, it is a brand new hand reg and does not resolve yet.
It could be one of those classic domain appraisal scams. Be careful.
Edit: looks like you have enough activity on namepros.com not to fall for such a scam.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
It could be one of those classic domain appraisal scams. Be careful.
Edit: looks like you have enough activity on namepros.com not to fall for such a scam.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

•••
Upvote 0
This content is very rewarding.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back