Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

I got called a squatter

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

chillaxin

Established Member
Impact
10
I was emailing some potential buyers and I got this reply.

No thank you, I find the practice of squatting on domain names about as slimey as one gets. It makes it very difficult for start up companies to launch real businesses when the domain names they need are tied up by people like you who try to sell them at outrageous prices Take me off your mailing list slimebag.



WOW......... THATS A FIRST>:(
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
It happens. At least they didn't throw anything at you! :)

..did they??
 
0
•••
It happens. But calling us Squatters is like calling Real estate investors squatters. I mean it's hard to build a shopping mall at the prime intersection in my city since someone else owns the land and had the forethought to purchase it long before it became such a prime place for a buisiness.

It comes with the territory. Chuckle about it and "slime" onto the next prospect. :hehe:
 
0
•••
I was emailing some potential buyers and I got this reply.

No thank you, I find the practice of squatting on domain names about as slimey as one gets. It makes it very difficult for start up companies to launch real businesses when the domain names they need are tied up by people like you who try to sell them at outrageous prices Take me off your mailing list slimebag.



WOW......... THATS A FIRST>:(

Let's say you buy actual land and property as an investment. If you then advertise to sell the land so that someone else can develop it (i.e., build a house or business on the property), are you a squatter and slimebag? I don't think so.

Why is it different when someone invests in virtual property (domain names) that does not infringe on anyone else's trademark, etc?

Can you give some more details on the potential end-user and how you contacted him? There is no trademark infringement, right?

Also, doesn't "squatting' mean occupying a place that the squatter does not own or have the permission to use? But you own the domain name and have the authority to use it and sell it.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
No trademark I was pitching mens-pants.com and menspants.us
 
0
•••
No trademark I was pitching mens-pants.com and menspants.us

What kind of end-user did you contact? Can you give some more details? I'm interested in this.
 
0
•••
What kind of end-user did you contact? Can you give some more details? I'm interested in this.

I don't want to put them on blast like that.Basically companies and people who were paying for the keyword or had similar regs in the net org info and so on.
 
0
•••
I would just reply back with, "You are right, I bet it is more than depressing seeing that there still is a chance to own the domain, rather than it already being owned by a corporation or small business."

Refer them to Nissan.com
 
0
•••
That's why you're always in a better position receiving offers from end users, than soliciting them.
 
0
•••
I think is a waste of time to reply to people like that one.
Don't worry and move fast to your next (more educated) end-user. ;)
 
0
•••
I don't want to put them on blast like that.Basically companies and people who were paying for the keyword or had similar regs in the net org info and so on.

That's cool. I get the idea of who you were contacting.

Do potential end-users ever respond to you and say that you're infringing on their name or acting in bad faith? Do they ever try to claim your domain name or start a UDRP?
 
0
•••
Do potential end-users ever respond to you and say that you're infringing on their name or acting in bad faith? Do they ever try to claim your domain name or start a UDRP?



I stick to very generic terms. I mostly get the following replies

I can only afford this much.

Ill take it.

Not interested.

how much traffic does it get?

That's why you're always in a better position receiving offers from end users, than soliciting them.

I sat and waited for endusers for two years. I only started making money when I got active. It just this is the first time Someone responded negatively.
 
0
•••
I sat and waited for endusers for two years. I only started making money when I got active. It just this is the first time Someone responded negatively.

Yes, unless you've got a killer one-word, short, generic .com, you may wait and wait and wait.

sdsinc said that you're in a better position receiving offers from end-users. But how do you sell good names (not superb names) without being active at selling? Are end-users really going to respond to your "for sale" sign on your site, to your whois contact info, or to your Sedo listing, if you don't a have a killer domain name?
 
0
•••
Well I just sold two domain names today :] made about 700 bucks. So I'm over it. thanks for the support guys. Money can fix some problems.
 
0
•••
Not sure why the response surprised or offended you.
 
0
•••
You'll get criticized as well even if you're not soliciting offers. I've seen worse emails from ppl who initiate the offer.
 
0
•••
Yea I wouldn't worry about it. It may not be fun to read, but they don't fully understand so there really isn't any use in worrying or getting angry.

As you have said you can just move on with the next end users or other names you can sell.

Skinny
 
0
•••
I agree with them. They chose the wrong word in squatter, we tend to link that to TM domains. They also should not have called you slimey.

That said, people do ask too much for their domains. I'll bet you were asking mid xxx+ for your two reg fee domains. If you offered them at a fair price ($10-20 each), you probably would have had a sale.

It is completely unfair that startups are forced to go with garbage domains because everybody they contact quotes them $20k, $10k etc. I remember my friend starting a website about rap lyrics and I tried to get raplyrics.com for him. Sedo seller, would not budge from $20,000. Ridiculous!

If we sold our domains for what they are worth (I try hard to do this) and not what is the maximum we think some idiot may pay someday, our collective boats will rise and we'll get more sales.

Sell your LLLL.com's for $50-100 - don't hold out to maybe get $10k+ someday.
 
0
•••
I agree with them. They chose the wrong word in squatter, we tend to link that to TM domains. They also should not have called you slimey.

That said, people do ask too much for their domains. I'll bet you were asking mid xxx+ for your two reg fee domains. If you offered them at a fair price ($10-20 each), you probably would have had a sale.

It is completely unfair that startups are forced to go with garbage domains because everybody they contact quotes them $20k, $10k etc. I remember my friend starting a website about rap lyrics and I tried to get raplyrics.com for him. Sedo seller, would not budge from $20,000. Ridiculous!

If we sold our domains for what they are worth (I try hard to do this) and not what is the maximum we think some idiot may pay someday, our collective boats will rise and we'll get more sales.

Sell your LLLL.com's for $50-100 - don't hold out to maybe get $10k+ someday.

Well that's your business model not mine. I didn't ask for an appraisal because I don't need one.You see you need to do what works for you. I changed my work ethic and in just two weeks I made close to 5k. If selling your domains on the super cheap is your thing, awesome I wish you the best of luck.
 
0
•••
Call them back and demand that they supply you with their product at the cost it took to produce, before those vampires put their profit on top :p
 
0
•••
CatchedCatched

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back