IT.COM

I back ordered a common Word native to my language - Is that ok to go after?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello,

in my language, there is a word that means guitar. since I dont want to give the name out, lets just call it a "kyuna."

Now here's the best thing about the word "kyuna." In english, "kyuna," can be translated into english only one way. In many cases where the characters are not english letters, they can be translated to spelled many ways in english. So that being said, if you asked anybody in my home country to write this word using english characters, they would only write it as "kyuna" - not kyunaa, or kyuuna.

I am still fairly new to domaining but I noticed that this word will soon be available. I immediately backordered it and I went to the uspto.com website to make sure that it wasn't trademarked. it's not so is it safe to assume no legal worries?

I've noticed that this word is used by at least a hotel company operating in my native country. So the name of the hotel on the internet right now is:

kyunahotel.com

They seem to be a pretty big hotel, and I think they could be my first cold call/email. (I don't think they're smart enough that they'd be monitoring this domain name like they should). I also noticed that there is a a kyuna.org dedicated to concerts featuring the guitar in my native language. I'm pretty sure they'd be interested too. And again, if not that, this is a decently popular name in my language so I'm sure some guy wiht the same name would want it. I'd pay a decent amount for chin.com.

So that being said, I'm ready to spend I'd say low $1XX for this name because I think it can be turned around and sold for at least mid $XXX.

I j ust wanted to make sure I wouldn't get into any trouble legally. I live in America.

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm looking forward to being part of the community.
Chin kim

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I too ran a search on uspto.gov for any Trademarks and it looks like you are clear (at least within the US).

Even if there is a potential issue with the hotel, just make sure that you are using the name for nothing to do with hotels. You raise a good question, but I think you will be okay getting the domain.

•••
fonzie_007 said:
I too ran a search on uspto.gov for any Trademarks and it looks like you are clear (at least within the US).

Even if there is a potential issue with the hotel, just make sure that you are using the name for nothing to do with hotels. You raise a good question, but I think you will be okay getting the domain.

Thank you for getting back to me Fonzie.

Actually, my intent on buying this name is to try and get the hotel or someone else to buy it. If it helps, I'll develop on the site a little bit with nothing to do with the hotel (since its a common name, I can make it a blog for a made up person who happens to be named "kyuna"), but my ultimate goal is to turn it around and sell it.

Thanks for double checking at uspto.gov, but again, "kyuna" isn't the real word. I didn't want to put the real word down until I owned it. But when I tried to search for the real wordwhen I tried to search for it, it said nothing could be found.

What you said about "at least in the US" scares me a little bit because is there a chance that kyuna could be trademarked at my native country? if so, does that mean that it as a .com gives them the rights to it? I thought that if they dont' have a trademark in the US, then all they have a right to is the .com.xx of the country they belong to.

•••
Someone would have to bring a suit against you to get the domain. I am not completely familiar with the process but I know many other members who check the legal disputes forum are. DaveZan and JBerryHill are two. I also think DNQuest and a few others are also knowledgable.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back