Domain Empire

events I AM LAMBO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lambo.com

Top Member
Impact
Hello frens,

I AM LAMBO of LAMBO.com and I will defend, defeat and humiliate those endeavouring to steal any of my domain name brands - including my moniker.

We have stood by in meek positioning watching poor decisions, one after another, rendered typically by "SOLE PANELISTS" - albeit with exceptions and inconsistency.

Digital assets stripped from legal holders and registrants who immediately (apparently), default to defensive posturing against Reverse Domain Name Hijackers (RDNH).

The injustice propagated against domain investors, speculators and BUILDERS - will not continue as it has.

In my case, a car company called "Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A." is attempting THEFT of my asset, nomenclature and taxonomy they possess ZERO rights to.

https://www.udrpsearch.com/wipo/d2022-1570

Counter measures to humiliate such endeavours are afoot. Unlawful theft will be duly punished through legal and commensurate counter efforts including any coerced and submissive accomplices.

Humiliation is inevitable should they desire METAWAR, even as the car company, NISSAN, found out with NISSAN.com
https://web.archive.org/web/20200131113518/https://www.nissan.com/

This is enough for now, I will continue to update as necessary.

In the meanwhile, you can add me on lichess (@lamboDOTcom).

We will save our industry from the filth that seeks to dismember it's legitimacy.

Thank you for time and God Bless. May the VRIL be with you.

lambo.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If people start calling a company sh*t, does it mean that company is now entitled to sh*t.com?

A trademark is whatever symbol, word, image, etc. that consumers use to differentiate competitive goods or services in the relevant marketplace.

McDonalds didn't start out calling itself things like "McD's" or "Mickey Dees" and other things that consumers started calling it, and people adopted.

Coca-Cola didn't start out calling itself the shortened "Coke" either.

Those are things that, yes, "people started calling" McDonalds and Coca-Cola, and which were then picked up by the mark owners. It's the best sort of organic branding, because it originates with the consumers themselves.

If consumers adopt their own brand for your stuff, that is trademark gold, since you don't have to put your own effort into promoting that brand. So, absolutely, McDonalds has jumped on "McD's" and "Mickey Dees" just as Coca-Cola adopted "Coke" - from what their own consumers started calling those brands.

One failed UDRP claim of this type arose from the apparent reputation of "Canadian Tire" stores as "Crappy Tire":

https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-0383.html

"Complainant submits that Canadian Tire is also colloquially referred to or known as "Crappy Tire". The term "Crappy Tire" is a slang expression derived from the Canadian Tire trade marks. Generally, the usage does not have a negative connotation but is an impertinent reference to a mass merchandiser."

The really weird thing about this thread is the apparent mass delusion that "Lambo" is not immediately recognizable as what people all over the world call Lamborghini. Furthermore, yes, Lamborghini has registered marks for "LAMBO" long pre-dating the Respondent's registration of the domain name (posted upthread).

One good rule of thumb in predicting the outcome of UDRP disputes, or determining whether it is going to be an uphill battle, is the question "did I correctly guess the complainant from the domain name before looking at the case"?

Be real. Yes, the term "Lambo" has some minor incidental significance as something else, but it is very well known as a reference to Lamborghini. Trademarks are not all created equal. The stronger an association with one particular party, the stronger the mark. The phrase "wen Lambo" is a common in-joke in the NFT space, and it doesn't take more than a Google search to immediately grasp the strength of that association.

Now, sure, if someone can show that they are commonly known as the domain name in question, that is an absolute UDRP defense. For example, Mr. A.R. Mani kept Armani.com in a dispute with the obvious complainant:

G. A. Modefine S.A. v. A.R. Mani
Case No. D2001-0537
https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-0537.html

"The Respondent's full name is Anand Ramnath Mani. His Finnish birth certificate could not be located but this would likely have confirmed his parents names but not his own. Third party evidence was provided confirming that this was likely to be the case. The certified copy of the Respondent's baptismal certificate and his Canadian Citizenship certificate show that his full name is as pleaded."

So, sure, even in a case with a well-known mark like Armani, they could not win against someone who was able to prove that he has long been known as A.R. Mani - and prior to obtaining the domain name.

These cases tend to be fact-sensitive, which I guess is why some people call them unpredictable. But it is amazing to me that the basic framing of the situation here seems to escape a lot of people:

In 2018, someone obtained a well-known colloquial reference, and registered mark, to a luxury automobile company and, when challenged, claimed it was their nickname. They presented no evidence of the existence of that nickname prior to having obtained the domain name, never used the domain name for personal use associated with their nickname (such as even an email address), and simply valued it for millions of dollars. Simply pointing out that one adopted the domain name as a nickname after having bought it, looks more like an after-the-fact justification than a real defense.

Now, obviously, the complainant did a piss-poor job of framing the complaint. For example, they apparently neglected to point out their own registered marks for "LAMBO" pre-dating the respondent's acquisition of the domain name.

Sure, merely having a trademark prior to someone else's domain name does not result in an automatic win. Obviously, there are domain registrants who win UDRP disputes on a regular basis, and nobody wins every battle.

But, the basic outlines of any dispute establish how much evidence is going to be needed. In a case where "some guy registered Lambo.com and wants millions for it", then if you don't recognize that, from the starting block, that's going to be a challenging case, then maybe you need to recalibrate your perception of what makes a winning or losing case. That's obviously going to be a difficult case for the domain registrant to win, absent strong evidence of the nickname defense. My assumption, stated previously in this thread, was that the case was a probable win for the domain registrant, whom I had incorrectly assumed to still be Mr. Lambeth.

Over the course of two decades of these things, I have won some cases that I thought were losers and lost some cases that I thought were winners. But it is important to recognize a case that can go either way depending on what are the specific facts and how they are presented. Obviously, we can't see the complaint and the response in this case and, obviously, at least one panelist found that the complaint didn't make out a sufficient case. The other two panelists took a broader "what do you think is most likely going on here?" gut-level approach to the case.

•••
•••
There is a trademark for Lambo?!?!

When I am in italy, italians tell you how you correctly say the word 'Lamborghini'.

Saying Lambo is something no italian (no culturally educated one) accepts.

And now the dispute is that automobili lamborghini wants the domain lambo.com?!

These days you aren't being surprised by anything any more...

just like that meta case, where dozens of companies called themself meta before, without any problems,
meta () domains were registed or traded,

... and then facebook comes along, buys meta.com and says, no one is eligible to reg any more meta domains.

Did Zuck actually asked owners of the first documented meta company, if he himself is eligible to trademark something like meta... (as 5th or 6th in a row)?!

sickening.

•••
As i mentioned before I contacted Lamborghini before this case, to offer a rebranding opportunity
Are you insane? Rebranding?

•••
lambo,
enlighten us:
what has happened in the end?!

I saw, you listed your domain for....

$50,000,000?!

So, automobili lamborghini have not been able to catch it from you?!

Regards
Hello, there is an ongoing legal matter to ensure I am the Admiral as I AM LAMBO.

Last edited:
•••
Okay I just read the case decision. I am coming late to this party and just noticed this thread for the first time, today. My opinion posted above was based on shoot from the hip thoughts without knowing the outcome, and, it turns out, was spot on,

For the foregoing reasons, in accordance with paragraphs 4(i) of the Policy and 15 of the Rules, the Panel orders that the disputed domain name, <lambo dot com> be transferred to the Complainant.

with the majority decision echoing what I wrote above, which I wrote before realizing that this matter had already been adjudicated.

What is the status of the case now? Did the lambo domain owner appeal that ruling?

Last edited:
•••
•••
How do you justify your price if not related to the well known sport car brand?
How would you defend not just being a domain squatter if you've done nothing with the domain?
Asking prices don't require justification.

Squatting requires more than simply owning an undeveloped domain name. Otherwise there would be thousands of companies, sitting on unused domain names right now, who would be in huge trouble just for preparing for potential future projects.

Last edited:
•••
The letter states, "Complainant (Lamborghini) owns trademarks in the USA..."

However, they no longer own "Lambo" as it expired in 2017.

So, Lamborghini owns trademarks in the USA - just not "Lambo". Fracking idiots.

lambo.JPG

•••
Here in the Netherlands, the first search result in Google shows a publishing company called LAMBO.

1655285284546.png

•••
Lamborghini has, in the past, recovered damages in US courts for use of the mark "Lambo". For example, in a suit in Alabama against a manufacturer of car body kits:

Automobili Lamborghini S. P.A. v. Johnson, No. 5:13-cv-1136-TMP (N.D. Ala. Aug. 29, 2014)

In this case, the court finds that the violations were willful. Plaintiff has offered evidence that it communicated with defendants to gain compliance with its trademarks, but defendants refused to cease making and selling fiberglass auto body kits prominently displaying Lamborghini marks both on the kits and in advertising. Defendants offered the body kits for slightly less than $3,000 each, according to the advertising submitted by plaintiff, but neither the court nor plaintiff has any evidence as to how many such kits were sold. It is clear that defendants offered for sale only one "type of goods," the fiberglass auto body kits. Defendants used several counterfeit marks, however, including the names Lamborghini, Lambo, Murcielago, Reventon, and Diablo, as well as the Lamborghini Raging Bull logo, on five different auto body kits offered for sell. Additionally, the auto body kits were intentionally designed to mimic the look of at least three of plaintiff's automobile styles, and most particularly the scissor door design. 15 U.S.C § 1117.

Recognizing the need to deter these defendants from continuing to infringe plaintiff's trademarks in the names Lamborghini, Lambo, Murcielago, Reventon, and Diablo, as well as the novel scissor door design of its automobiles, the court finds that statutory damages of $25,000 per infringement use of a counterfeit mark per type of goods sold is adequate to compensate the plaintiff and deter further infringements by defendants.

Interesting, but it sure feels like that suit is more to do with the "Lamborghini" name and logo, the "Lambo" part seems secondary.

Either way, that case would seem to involve using the term in a clearly infringing manner, in their field, for commercial gains. It involves manufacturing products for their cars, with their name and logo on it.

Lambo.com would be more about other uses for "Lambo" existing.

That seems like a big difference, both in law and in common sense.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Lambo as a nickname should have died in UDRP process, never to be mentioned again.

How you got that nickname?

Well, when I was just a kid, I always wanted to get a Lambo, and I told my friends that, and... Uhmm, I cannot say that. Dang it!

Well, as a kid I spent my summer holidays at my grandparents coutryside house, where I looked after sheep. I told my friends that, and they suddenly started chanting: Lambo!... Lambo!... Lambo!

$50 million price. You showed other potential end users that can use lambo, but can you show us the one that can pay that much? Or is it just car company?

Let's assume acquisition price is $100k. Would you sell it to the wool products company for $250k? I don't think so. In the back of your mind you'll be like: man, I think Lamborghini would pay at least $1M.

•••
Other than "principle" his upside is $50K. His downside is probably about the same in attorney's fees and costs.

The downside is potentially a lot larger than that. Lamborghini is certain to lose the motion to dismiss, as their argument verges on frivolous. Absent a settlement after that point, they will file a counterclaim for cybersquatting seeking the statutory damages of up to $100k plus attorney fees.

•••
Because, before suing someone, you're supposed to send some kind of demand letter or something.

There is no requirement to do that.

They should try to show some sort of morality by first trying to purchase the domain for UDRP cost or a little above that.

The domain was priced at 25M. A UDRP costs around $5000.

Someone just needs to ask Lamborghini if there are Multiple Potential Buyers for lambo.com that are not related to their company.

How many of them do you suppose have 25M euro to spend on a domain name?

•••
Last edited:
•••
This is like Nissan 2.0.

If they were smart they would just withdraw the UDRP and make a substantial offer if interested.
Nissan came out of that looking like real assholes, and they still don't own the domain.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Dear Parties,

Please note that the Decision due date in the above-referenced case has been extended due to exceptional circumstances to July 28, 2022.

Sincerely,

Santiago H. for Patrick K.
Legal Case Manager
In spite of no particulars as to the exceptional circumstances that extended the due date two weeks to July 28, 2022, this day has concluded in Europe with no Decision or communication.

•••

The decision was terrible; a complete miscarriage of justice based on the facts of the dispute.

It was based on dated and long debunked generic arguments like "He was asking too much", not specific evidence of bad faith.

All you have to do is read the blistering 8 page dissent by The Honorable Neil Anthony Brown QC. The dissent is basically longer than the decision itself and is a complete and thorough deconstruction of the case point by point, ending with -

"Use in bad faith

The Complainant’s case is strangely silent on the issue of use in bad faith which it must prove. Offering a domain name for sale, at any price, is not in bad faith when the domain name may be of interest and value to a wide variety of potential purchasers within any of its many meanings of which evidence has been given. That is the only use in question, as the Respondent has not used the domain name for anything else. Putting the domain name up for sale is the only use to which he has put the domain name and that use is entirely lawful, no matter what the price the seller asks.

The Complainant has thus not made out the case that the domain name was registered and/or used in bad faith. The Complaint should be dismissed for that reason in addition to the other reasons already given.

/The Honorable Neil Anthony Brown QC/ The Honorable Neil Anthony Brown QC Dissenting Panelist Date: August 2, 2022"

Attachments

• Decision_D2022-1570.pdf
    336.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
•••
Ok, so the panel decided Lambo is not the nickname for the respondent.

But how did they establish that the other party has the rights to it, since it is not the company name and it is not using Lambo in any marketing efforts?

If people start calling a company sh*t, does it mean that company is now entitled to sh*t.com?

•••
I think this has more to do with who filed the udrp

Well, of course it does.

In any trademark dispute, reputation matters.

When the Google results look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.31.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.31.55 AM.png

Then the fact that there are some minor other uses doesn't change the basic point that the UDRP is driving at:

"Why did this person register this domain name?"

A trademark doesn't have to be unique for a trademark owner to win a domain dispute, but these cases ultimately come down to the panel's assessment of the credibility of the reason why the respondent claims to have registered the domain name.

Take a trademark like "Monster". It's well known as an energy drink, and electronic cable manufacturer, and an employment service. To show that someone who has registered "Monster" in a domain name is cybersquatting, then the complaint is going to have to provide some factual basis to conclude the respondent was targeting them.

But, when you have an association of the term with the trademark owner which is this strong, then a lot is going to depend on the credibility of the respondent's explanation of why they registered the domain name, and whatever evidence backs that up. Absolutely, the UDRP places the burden of proof on the complainant, but as a practical matter - and really as a point of common sense - if your defense is going to be "it's my nickname" then you are going to have to come up with solid evidence of that.

That's just a basic truth. I've defended a lot of "commonly known as cases" and "because I say so" doesn't work out very well.

You can point to other companies, surnames, etc., but at the end of the day, these cases come down to what the panel believes the most likely answer is to the question "why did this person register this domain name?" If the response is sketchy on details like when the name was registered, and relies on a changed username on a web forum after the name was acquired, then some panelists - and in this instance two out of three - are going to be skeptical of the respondent's motivation.

The "MONSTER" example makes a good contrast. Here are the top organic Google results:

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.44.08 AM.png

Notice that the top organic results are the employment service, the energy drink, and the cable manufacturer, followed by a movie.

Of course, on top of that "monster" is an ordinary generic dictionary word.

So, for any one of the "Monster" trademark owners to make out a case of cybersquatting, they have a harder job than something like "Lambo". You can post all the business directories you want, but the bottom line is that if you walk down the street and ask people:

1. What, if anything, does the term "Lambo" mean to you?

and

2. What, if anything, does the term "Monster" mean to you?

You are going to get two very different and distinguishable types of answers. The difference in Google results between a term like "Lambo" and a term like "Monster" should be telling you something important about the difference between these two terms.

If the difference is not clear to you, then, yes, a lot of UDRP results are going to seem hard to distinguish.

And, once again with feeling, the dissent reflects the fact that the complainant did not do a very good job in presenting their case either. That sort of thing can make a big difference in cases that can go either way, depending on the details.

•••
they didn't have a registration on LAMBO since it expired

First, that's not true. They have several:

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.18.12 PM.png

Second, as has been explained on Namepros many times, whether someone has allowed their trademark registration to lapse does not necessarily mean they have abandoned the underlying trademark. I might let my dog license expire, but that doesn't mean I don't have a dog.

People let their trademark registrations expire and go on using their trademark and maintaining their rights in their trademarks all of the time. Registration provides a lot of enforcement advantages, but it does not determine whether someone "has a trademark" any more than having a dog license determines whether someone "has a dog".

But, that said...

REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE A TRADEMARK. I understand there are people who will never grasp "what is a trademark" and how that is not the same thing as "why is it desirable to register a trademark." I totally get that people think you "get a trademark" by filing a piece of paper with the government. But, what you will notice, is that you aren't going to find a single trademark attorney who is going to agree with that persistent and wrong belief among domainers who have principally learned misinformation about trademarks from other domainers.

It is unfortunate that a lot of misinformation about trademarks gets passed around and believed.

The term "LAMBO" is strongly associated in the minds of consumers as indicating a particular brand of automobile. Try doing a Google search for "LAMBO" and then try to explain how it does not function in the relevant marketplace as a distinctive indicator of their goods.

Could be "because I wanted that one surname and I'm not made of money".

How many surnames does one have to own in order to keep their domain?

Well, that first point might be a good reason, but there are a lot of low value surnames running around. Again, why that one in particular? When did you become aware it was a surname? Did you have a friend or associate by that name? You just woke up one morning with an insatiable desire to have a surname which, coincidentally, is known around the world as a common short version of a famous and well-known trademark? The Google search results are outstandingly uniform waaaaaaay down the result list, but you figured "that's a great surname" instead.

That could be true. But outside of the wishful thinking echo chamber of a domain forum, very few people are going to believe that.

The basic question a UDRP panel is trying to answer is "why did this person register this domain name?" and to decide whether they were more likely motivated by the complainant's trademark, or whether it was something else. You simply can't ignore the fact that pretty much everyone knows that "LAMBO" is very strongly associated with a high-end car manufacturer. To move the needle in the other direction, you are going to need more than "it's my username on Namepros".

But it's not a matter of "how many surnames does one have to own". It's a matter of establishing a credible defense, using whatever evidence may be helpful. For example, I've done a lot of three- and four- letter domain defenses. If the respondent has a lot of other three- or four- letter domains, then that is helpful in establishing a reason to conclude that, yes, the domain name is consistent with a pattern of registration having nothing to do with a trademark.

On the "not made of money" thing, it is also helpful to explain how you got the domain name, and how much you paid for it. Did Mr. Lambeth sell it? For how much? What was the conversation like?

The "not made of money" thing is fine. How much did this one cost compared to other surnames? Great direction to go.

For example, if there was an email to the effect of "I really like the 'Lambo' surname and I want to buy your domain" that could be helpful, since it is a statement made at a time when there was no dispute.

For example, did someone register "CityCentre.com" because it refers to a common urban feature, or did they register it because it is a trademark claimed by a shopping center developer? Well....

https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2021-0591

"In 2001, the founder and CEO of the Respondent negotiated the purchase of a domain name reference site and news aggregator, <iGoldrush.com>. The former owner of the domain name had included various generic word and phrase domain names in the purchase as an apology for moving slow with the deal, thus offering the disputed domain name to the Respondent at no charge."

The email correspondence at the time of acquisition nailed down exactly why the respondent had the domain name.

So, it's not a matter of "how many other surnames" or some mechanical rule. It is a matter of credibility. Reality extends in three dimensions of space and one in time and encompasses a lot of facts. Facts don't exist in a vacuum isolated from the larger fabric of reality. If the overall reality is that the name was registered because it is a surname, then there are usually other facts which connect to support that version of reality. It's not a magic trick where you have to make sure the audience is focussed on one thing to the exclusion of everything else for the trick to work.

However, the respondent in this case seemed to want to ride a couple of horses at one time with "it's my nickname" as well. Again, that's a great defense, and is an absolute defense, but it is one that requires you show some evidence to that effect which exists independent of acquisition of the domain name. Otherwise, sure, I can register MicrosoftOffice.LOL and say it's my nickname too.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@lambo.com stay strong and keep fighting, they have no right to this

•••
You might be surprised at how statements can be twisted later and alternative interpretations of your words presented.
You might be surprised at how BASED Lambo is in jurisprudence, SPELL-ings, legal fictions, admiralty law etc.

For example:

"I DO NOT CONSENT" [AYE DUE KNOT CON-SE'-ENT]

where "aye" means yes, affirmative and tacit agreement instantly, "due", as in debt tacit agreement, "knot", as in tied and BO-uND, tacit agreement to slavery and "con-" (means both with/for AND against/without equally as a prefix, also means thief or criminal in common vernacular terms etc.), " se' " is Latin for "himself, herself, itself" which is the entire essence of the speaker involved, and "- ent" is a suffix meaning "mind" etymologically.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back