Dynadot

discuss Huge Drops

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There has been considerable discussion on the forum about Huge Domains massive collection of registrars and servers which allows them to dominate the drop process, how HD is bidding up Godaddy expiring auctions prices, how their Dropcatch service seems to sometimes take backorders for themselves rather than honor a competitive bidding process, how they have so many crap domains priced at $2500 or more, etc. However I have seen some forum members mention that HD occasionally will drop domains. Can we learn anything about their drops without revealing too much info to allow them to adjust their methods?

So last year I saw a domain I was interested in. I placed a backorder at Namejet, Snapnames, Name.com and Phoenix but got beat by HD servers. They priced the domain in typical fashion low $xXxX but I was careful to Not inquire about the domain or even visit the offer page. I recently saw it go pending delete and tried again. I do not want to give too many details but we will say the domain's original registration date was 2006 or prior and the domain has 15 or fewer characters. It is a Spanish domain and I will admit the Spanish aftermarket does not seem to be performing well the last five years. Regardless my view is that this is not the type of domain you drop. Any other HD drops you care to mention?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's really not something I look out for. But I'm sure they do drop some domains from time to time, from things I've read on NP's. However my mind boggles how they would decide which domains to drop. Perhaps any domain without any visitors in say 3-4 years. Which might or might not be difficult to obtain, without knowing the domain. So, I imagine, their drops would probably look a lot like the domains they pick up in GoDaddy Closeouts. Mostly valueless domains.

Last edited:
•••
this is an example of a domain that is currently being dropped by HD

DOMAIN INFORMATION
Domain: blockdetox.com
Registrar: DropCatch.com 551 LLC
Registration Date: 2017-03-19
Expiration Date: 2019-03-19
Updated Date: 2018-05-29

clientTransferProhibited
pendingDelete

REGISTRANT CONTACT
Name: Domain Admin / This Domain is For Sale
Organization : HugeDomains.com
Street : 2635 Walnut Street
City: Denver

•••
Aren't NameBright blocking all the contact information for the GDRP (? spelling) just like every other registrar on the planet, even if the owner lives outside of EEC.

Additionally, I noticed that Estibot give it's rightful value of $0

Last edited:
•••
Aren't NameBright blocking all the contact information for the GDRP (? spelling) just like every other registrar on the planet, even if the owner lives outside of EEC.

Additionally, I noticed that Estibot give it's rightful value of $0

Several registrars (among them Namebright) are "changing their (privacy)agreements or whole agreements" If you read this, a European (but also others) automatically opts in, to let his "whois" public. The point of GDRP is that Europeans must have the possibility to hide their adress phone etc.. if they want that (without cost).
As far as I know the privacypossibility is the real requirement that the GDRP will have as most important consequence for registrants.

BUT the decision lies with the registrant => If the registrant WANTS his adress etc.. public, it's his decision.This means that he waves the right to demand that the whois should be private, and opts into "not private".

The consequence is probably for the registrar => He won't be able to ask money to make the whois private. The GDRP law has this as consequence.

I logged in to namebright-account recently after a long time, and saw their new regulations. And indeed, as far as I've read right, approving it has the consequence to resolve the problem of whois GDRP privacy, so that whois can be public.
The most important thing is that the European must have the right to privacy, but CAN wave this privacy, IMO.

(There are other registrars that haven't done something like this,or panicked and mad all of them GDRP - private. But many of them will do something like Namebright.

(OF cause the GDRP-regulations have other consquences also).

Last edited:
•••
Since they use their own name servers, spotting the drops should be easy just by doing a comp of the zone files on a daily basis.

•••
Since they use their own name servers, spotting the drops should be easy just by doing a comp of the zone files on a daily basis.

That has always sounded like a lot of hard work. To me, at least. Are their online tools that can do this?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back