Domain Empire

How to Transfer Domains Out of 1and1?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am trying to transfer the domains I have with 1&1 to another registrar.

A week ago I went into 1and1 and unlocked all my domains as well as switched Whois info to be Public. I tried to initiate a transfer on a domain, and didn't get the expected transfer email.

I had the Authorization code but thought something else might be the problem. I checked Whois data and none of my domains have updated yet, but of course in my 1&1 account it says it is "Public."

Can anyone give me advice on how I can deal with this? I already sent an email to 1and1 and the response I got back was a link with instructions on how to set domains to Public.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can anyone give me advice on how I can deal with this? I already sent an email to 1and1 and the response I got back was a link with instructions on how to set domains to Public.

They don't want you to leave and you can't trust them. But you can transfer your domains out, but first take screenshots of everything in your account in case they lock it or try to steal your domains.

You have to log in at a certain location to do the transfer:

http://contract.1and1.co.uk

Here are the full instructions:
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/1and1.shtml

Make sure you have cancelled the "contract" at 1and1, then email 1and1 asking them to confirm that it is cancelled and you will not be billed. People have been billed by 1and1 for domains that are no longer there.

•••
Thanks for the advice carob!

•••
I don't know for certain, but you might not be able to transfer out the domains if they were free ones that were part of a hosting account especially if they are tied to the same contract.

I have personally not had any issue transferring out domains that were registered on their own.

But carob is right though, you can be auto-billed at renewal time, if you do not follow the cancellation instructions.

•••
1and1 CS!

So I called 1and1 and they guy spends a few minutes checking the servers and says "They are fine!" He also added "Updates can take 24-48 hours." After I said it has been a week he told me he would have technical staff look into and send me an email.

All the domains were bought just as domain names and not with any packages. I always keep my registrar and web hosting separate.

•••
What is the latest on your transfer attempt?

@Adam27,

Just wondering what is the latest on your transfer attempt?

Were you able to get it done?

I ask because I am now in the process myself and so far I have spent about 7 hours over three days doing and re-doing and have yet to see anything complete.

For sure the 1and1 instructions were not helpful and since I have rarely received decent tech support I have hesitated to even ask them.

Did you finally get your domains transferred out?

Thanks.

mrk6612

•••
@Adam27 Since 1and1 are primarily a hosting provider I am surprised you chose them as your registrar. They have an awful track record. Just look at the problems you are having with the public whois servers not updating in a timely manner, and the warnings about being charged if you don't cancel your hosting contract properly. GoDaddy (or others) would be a much better choice as your registrar.

•••
I ask because I am now in the process myself and so far I have spent about 7 hours over three days doing and re-doing and have yet to see anything complete.
Have you made an animal sacrifice yet? If not, you need to do that, or your domain will never get transferred out. I'm serious. This is 1&1.

•••
Also, you cannot do a free push at 1and1. How's that for a great registrar?

•••
Never had any problems with transfer-outs @1and1 (one of my major registrars for ~4 years).
Turn off privacy, unlock domain, find AUTH-code, initiate transfer at gaining registrar.
And that's all.

p.s. Disabling privacy takes some time, not instantly, simply wait!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back