NameSilo

How to transfer a domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently bought a domain and now have a buyer for it. How do I transfer the name to him? I am using the escrow.com format and they say i need to contact my registrar and request a transfer. Shouldn't the buyer request a transfer from his registrar? I am confussed. Can I transfer to his ownership through my registrar?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Which registrar is the domain at? You will want to "push" the domain rather than "transfer". Pushing sends the domain to buyer but the domain stays at the same registrar. Transfering will actually change the registrar-->this opens the seller up to a higher possibility of fraud, so stick with pushes if you can.

•••
Ok, i follow. so the buyer will have to open an account at the same registrar where the domain is at now? I have 2 domains i wish to sell. one is at bulkregister and the other at enom. Is there a cost to push the domain?

Thanks

•••
•••
I've never used BR before, but Enom is extremely easy to push. At both places the buyer will have to have an account.

•••
fonzie_007 said:
Transfering will actually change the registrar-->this opens the seller up to a higher possibility of fraud, so stick with pushes if you can.

How does this open one up to fraud?

•••
If the payment bounces (i.e. the buyer pays with a stolen credit card), you have less ability to freeze the domain because it is at a different registrar. Using escrow.com will help protect you more, but I would still suggest pushing rather than transferring.

Other drawbacks: Transferring can take 5-7 days to complete and also can't be done if the domain's whois contact info has changed within 60 days.

•••
Bulkregister does allow change of owner person. Contact their support team

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back