Dynadot

How to trace web host?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Not sure if this is the correct forum :)

How can I find out who is really hosting my site? If I get my hosting plan from a reseller, a WhoIs check will show the nameserver of the reseller.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am not sure how but I do know that they try to cover it up because thats the whole purpose of a reseller. I will try to find out.

•••
Please do. Keep me posted.

Thanks.

•••
•••
go to whois.sc and enter your full domain name. The results include IP address and name of IP owner. For example, if you try:

www.whois.sc/p0.org it shows that the IP owner is Servint Corp, who runs the server farm. You can also click the reverse IP tool that displays all the domains on the same IP address that whois.sc knows about.

•••
Thanks for the help. I'll check those links.

Meanwhile, got this link from another forum. I think this will greatly help. Very Fast!

SamSpade.org

Originally posted by armstrong
go to whois.sc and enter your full domain name. The results include IP address and name of IP owner. For example, if you try:

www.whois.sc/p0.org it shows that the IP owner is Servint Corp, who runs the server farm. You can also click the reverse IP tool that displays all the domains on the same IP address that whois.sc knows about.

I'll check that out also. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Elefekt
http://www.hostbyte.com/tools/traceroute.php

i found that but it does take a long time.

http://www.resellerconnection.com/articles/resellersawisechoice.cfm

There is an article also on reselling and says to ask the host.

After a bit of reading I found that you should trace your site by doing the first link. I will try to find out some things later but im tired.

Thanks for taking time to help.

Last edited:
•••
thats a good piece of detective work....

•••
I hope this thread benefits others who are also interested in knowing how :)

•••
•••
•••
•••
Check out the dns name first, some resellers will use the dns.thehostdomain.com and u can find the "originator host

•••
•••
Originally posted by g0ldy
Check out the dns name first, some resellers will use the dns.thehostdomain.com and u can find the "originator host

As far as I know, most webhosting resellers use custom DNS servers (to look more professional ;) )

•••
SSH is your friend.. You can find out anything using it.

•••
Originally posted by ChaChing
SSH is your friend.. You can find out anything using it.

who is SHE? SuperSexyHeloise?;)

•••
I beleive he is talking about server shell. go to google and search for some info. there is a lot about it. but you can access the server directly

•••
Originally posted by danielu
As far as I know, most webhosting resellers use custom DNS servers (to look more professional ;) )

currect, most resellers use their own nameservers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back