IT.COM

How to start flipping for a newbie?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hello! I have never sold a domain name before, and I am here for help. what kind of domain names should I search for? what does it require to sell a domain for around 100$? what is the easiest way to start for a beginner? I hope some of you can help me with this. I know its possible to search expired domains, but i dont know what is selling so its pretty hard to start. I have read a little, for example its good to have PR, backlinks, short words etc. But where do I find these domains the easiest way? I am not trying to find those that sells for 500$ +( yet xP) I only want to make some money.

i have also a software called domain name analyzer,and have tried it a bit, but I dont know if my domains are worth anything.

so, do you have any advice? thx! :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Dear gsduds,

The easiest way to start as a beginner is to be smart and thoughtful. What I mean is to not go register names without doing your research. How can this be done?

As a beginner nowadays I say to everyone that they are better off reserving Spanish and Portuguese one word names than the English names that are all gone. Simply I advise to open up your google translator and also a Whois page which my favorite is domize. Then translate your favorite English words into Portuguese Spanish and even Italian. Then search them in domize to see their availability. I am not a newbie but for the past two years I have registered hundreds of Spanish Portuguese Italian one word domains. Why? See, the broadband penetration in foreign countries are still very low and with the population of portuguese and Spanish people around the planet domain sales in those languages will take off greatly. The broadband statistics is according to internet statistics website. My best recommendation for the newbies is to work harder there are still some one word domain names left in Spanish and Portuguese and Italian trust me I know. Even if you can't find one worders in spanish dot com then find a unique two worder. Go ahead and search for them.

I would reserve the ones with no accents and remember that most people around the world like dot com and dot org and dot net domains more than their own extensions. My research shows that they relate these extensions to higher status. However this is different for some countries including Germany and France which value their own country extensions more.

So the easiest way I start there These domain names will value and appreciate greatly in the future years if dot com English language domains are any indication. One more thing, if you search on google translate and can not still understand the meaning of a particular word then click images for that word in google. There you will find images relating to that word which will give you a clear understanding of what that word means. For example I was searching for gays in Spanish. Did a translate and something was not right. Then did an image search and saw people holding posters in their protests in images of google which that led me to SameSex. So I went ahead and registered SameSex in 5 different languages. So that s how it works. Believe me there are still names to be registered but soon the people in other countries will wake up too if they have not already.

Good Luck and God Bless

•••
thanks alot for the post!

but is it a bad idea to have the "´" in the domain name?

for example limón.org ? :)

Last edited:
•••
Stick to .coms only if you are going to register IDNs, and make sure limón is a word in a foreign language and its not some random "´". Everyone has different strategies. Personally I sell English names more easily than foreign names.

•••
Stick to .coms only if you are going to register IDNs, and make sure limón is a word in a foreign language and its not some random "´". Everyone has different strategies. Personally I sell English names more easily than foreign names.

yup..agreed with you. Selling english domain more easily than other languages.

•••
I agree with crumblepie If you 're going to register accents then make sure they dot com. If you re registering refugiados which means refugees in Spanish and has an accent then that one would be ok for the dot org space so it s really common sense so stick to dot com or for example rifugiati in Italian I d say I would take dot org first before dot net or dot com.

•••
do you have any tips on how to find great english domains?

•••
I actualy had a question, I have many Indonesian domains wich end in dot com do people in Malaysia speak or understand Indonesian?

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

I see many many people registering all two word dot org domains too. So if you can find those register them. I 'd pick dot org s over dot net s any day.

•••
I actualy had a question, I have many Indonesian domains wich end in dot com do people in Malaysia speak or understand Indonesian?

both Malaysian and Indonesian language actually doesn't have too many gaps. Only certain words that we don't understand. ;)

•••
What does it require to sell a domain for around 100$? what is the easiest way to start for a beginner?

Buy one for $1000.

•••
Before you go and start buying/registering a bunch of names I would research domain name auctions, domain name sales and other resources to learn what values a domain. Then, you might buy some aged domain names off of forums like NamePros and DigitalPoint for cheap that you could potentially resale to end-users for more.

•••
It's much easier to buy a quality name, for say $500 and sell it for a $100 profit than it is to sell a hand reg for the same profit. Flipping is in no way easy so I would suggest ridding yourself of that misconception now.

To get an idea of what sells you can research past sales at namebio.com and dnsalesprice.com.

Good luck and welcome to NamePros :)

•••
I got a question: if i find a domain that is taken in .com but free in .org/.net and get 2k exact searches per month. is it worth anything? or should i just go for .com domains

•••
I'd say go for .coms, 2k isn't that much for the other extensions.

•••
I agree 2k is not very much

•••
It's much easier to buy a quality name, for say $500 and sell it for a $100 profit than it is to sell a hand reg for the same profit. Flipping is in no way easy so I would suggest ridding yourself of that misconception now.

To get an idea of what sells you can research past sales at namebio.com and dnsalesprice.com.

Good luck and welcome to NamePros :)

Though your argument stands true, I would like to point one thing out...

For a newbie just starting out, flipping could made some easy profits. Using the $1~ coupon code of GoDaddy, Hand-Regs could earn more than $10 ($7 at least). Also, there are many hand-regs reported on the sales thread that has fetched $200+.

So Hand-regs that cost <$5 could earn more than $10. This is good for a beginner who don't have budget or much knowledge. (Investing $xxx on domains without knowledge seems bad IMO).

•••
i will try to sell for pretty low prices in the beginning, but what kind of domains should i look for you think? :)

keyword rich domains, expired domains, GEO domains, come up with new domains ?

Last edited:
•••
i will try to sell for pretty low prices in the beginning, but what kind of domains should i look for you think? :)

keyword rich domains, expired domains, GEO domains, come up with new domains ?

I use to do quite well picking up expired domains, have got some really nice ones for reg fee or just over at tdnam auctions, but even with these do your research.

As for keyword rich domains, most domains contain a keyword or two, but whether that keyword is resellable will depend on a lot of factors. For some industries brandable is far better than keyword rich (of course, branding is another complex subject probably outside the scope of this post).

You can also get some bargains on this forums, but read a lot first before spending your hard earned cash.

•••
I use to do quite well picking up expired domains, have got some really nice ones for reg fee or just over at tdnam auctions, but even with these do your research.

As for keyword rich domains, most domains contain a keyword or two, but whether that keyword is resellable will depend on a lot of factors. For some industries brandable is far better than keyword rich (of course, branding is another complex subject probably outside the scope of this post).

You can also get some bargains on this forums, but read a lot first before spending your hard earned cash.

what expired domains websites/tools do you use?

•••
what expired domains websites/tools do you use?

TDNAM was always a favorite, got some nice two word .com's on there :)

•••
TDNAM was always a favorite, got some nice two word .com's on there :)

is it possible to find expired domains at TDNAM? :) i can only find auctions

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back