IT.COM

How to start a successful domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
ive seen a lot of people making a LOT of money off of domains so far, whether it be having them parked or having a developed site with it. i was wondering, can anyone give me some tips that i could use? i want to get a few domain names and make some money.

do you park the domain right when you get it or do you develop a site, get hits, then park it?

how can you get more hits?

what is the best paying parking service (or any other form of income)?

what should a site have (if there is a site) that will cause more people to visit?

all of you who currently have successful domains, how exactly was it in say, the first six months to year? was it dead? howd it gain momentum?
thnx

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would be interested to know too, actually ;) lol.

•••
Just stay here and learn.

It's a 3-month class.

Good luck!

John

•••
how they make money from domains?

they buy it and parked it....then sell it?

think that some companies or company can afford to pay them at a relatively higher price.

•••
In my opinion, the best way to earn from a domain is to develop it, advertise it, and get a lot of sites to link to it, and earn from the ads.

Parking it will only be profitable if your domain name is a good one or a name for a common word, otherwise it will get no (or very little) type-in traffic.

•••
Ok lets say you park a name. A parked name should get at least some traffic. Hopefully people will be intrested in the ads the parking provider shows and will click on your ads making you some money.

Now if you develope your name it gets harder. First you need to develope and than promote. So lets say to build a info site, now you advertise it and buy links, etc, promote, and hopefully get a good pagerank. Meanwhile you also have ads on their from google or somewhere making you some money. Than you can also sell ads space and etc.

Which one is easier? To park it.
Which one should make you more money? The website.

Hope this helps.

Spy :)

•••
Exactly.

Most people would choose the easy way though (which is why a lot of good domains are just parked and not being developed), but if only you will put on a little more effort, then you'll be able to earn more with those domains.

•••
do you park the domain right when you get it or do you develop a site, get hits, then park it?
Your better off keeping the website, and putting up google ads, it will make you more, and have a higher resale value.

how can you get more hits?
get the word out, put a link in your sig, free articles, free stuff, all these are if you have a dev. website, if its a parked domain its better to not promote and allow it to be natural traffic.

what is the best paying parking service (or any other form of income)?
It differs, based on keyword, traffic origin, category, use tools like overture and google adwords to determine how much and how many advertisers are paying per keyword. The more advertisers the better. Just sign up at a parking site and see how you do, you can split your domains and test 2 at once.

what should a site have (if there is a site) that will cause more people to visit?
Benefits, give them something to return for, whether it be $$$, tools, information, etc. and this will hopefully make the current users want to tell their friends, and it will spread pretty fast once that happens.

all of you who currently have successful domains, how exactly was it in say, the first six months to year? was it dead? howd it gain momentum?
I started near the end of last year, and I was registering names for the sole purpose of developement, I found this forum and thought " I can do that " and without too much research I started to register domains. I probably have $200 in domains I'm allowing to expire due to this lack of research. Now I have learned from experience, which is the best way, and about in my 4-5 month I started to profit. The faster you learn and absorb the basics, and little hints and such the faster you will profit.

•••
You can generate much more revenue in case you focus, make research, develop and maintain a website rather than just park it, IMHO.

This is not an easy game however.

•••
johnn said:
Just stay here and learn.

It's a 3-month class.

Good luck!

John

hehe at least :)..

It takes a while to absorb the information, what works, what doesnt (and even then ppl swear something works, when for 90% of us it doesnt)
Just hang in there and learn what makes a quality domain, thats the first lesson...and you only get that with time.

I started earlier this year, and im now at the point where i know what makes a good domain. The next part is learning the best sales methods. Some people insist domains sell themselves based purely on the quality of them and if another person wants it for either speculation or development. Others say you need to aggressively push your domains in order to shift them. On balance id say that if you have a good name, and your prepared to wait, your better off doing that. Patience will pay in the end.

The hardest part now for new players is the depth of the wallets of many people around these forums...if your on a tight budget, its tough. Some people seem to have unlimited funds. In saying that some people are going to loose there shirt as well :)

- Get to know domains, top to bottom
- Develop a sales technique that works for you
- Develop sites to earn additional money to compete with the millionaires amongst us.
- If your new, stick to registering domains through registrars. In this day of domain aftermarket auctions (Snapnames, Enom etc) its VERY easy to burn a lot of money quickly, and not ever get that money back, because you dont know what makes a good domain at this point...
- Look for developing trends and pounce early, if you decide to pounce at all.

Thats a start..

•••
great advices are available all over the forum.

•••
people always give very general advices. very nice and usable advices, but very general. I am sure everybody would be interested in some example: say, bought this... kind of domain name (this kind of cathegory) from this.... place, when bought hosting from this.... place, when developed it to look like this..... , those..... words used to optimize SE, etc. Or bought domain........, parked at this..... place, for this..... cathegory used this .......kind of words, and now getting revenue at this ....much. Traffinc getting from ...... . Sold at this..... place, at this...... price. Was asking this....., but had to go down a little bit and finally got this...... etc, etc.
Nobody tell as real story as is. Would be so interesting to hear.
so questions would be:
1.what cathegory name you are looking to buy and why.
2.how exactly you develope your domain.
3.Where you prefere to advertice your domain.
4.How much you spend time/money/etc on one domain before you sell it.
5. How exactly you bring traffic to your domain?
6. How you make people to klick on your ads? (any technique?)
5 Where you prefere to park your domain and why?
6.WHere you prefere to sell your domain and why?
7 Where did you sold most of your domains of certain cathegory?
8. How you talk to buyer not to scare him by price but in same time to get what you really want out of your domain sale?
9. Where do you find right buyer?

Last edited:
•••
gugush,

you'll get that info by hanging around webmaster boards, studying what other people are doing, especially reading between the lines, surfing around to see what other webmasters are doing,and especially by using your brain.

No-one in their right mind will sit down to spend time and give out lessons just because you asked. It would take days. There are e-books for that. ;)

Every domain is totally unique in itself and every sell/buy transaction as well. There is no magic pill. You learn as you go. Experience cannot be passed on in the form of a Q&A.

Reading the posts in this forum and others, you'll pick up a lot of strategy gems and ideas.

It takes Desire, Passion and Persistence...

:)

•••
Something to add:

Never hesitate to take advantage of the nice search engines like Google! Get nice key words ;) That'll be a great reason for someone to buy your domain name

•••
yanni said:
gugush,

Very true, especially persistance...

•••
yanni said:
Reading the posts in this forum and others, you'll pick up a lot of strategy gems and ideas.

this is exactly what i am talking about. :) nobody gives stright answer, everything is general : go find out by yourself, take a little bit here or there.
i think it is just natural reaction to the general question: how you make money. Nobody will tell. because nobody want you to know it, and nobody want you to repeate steps, which somebody alredy making. Or in the best case, somebody will tell it in e-book, only because by that e-book he will make money on you :), by teching you how to make money :)
very interesting.
thanks for answer. Yes i definetly learn something here.

•••
gugush said:
this is exactly what i am talking about. :) nobody gives stright answer, everything is general : go find out by yourself, take a little bit here or there.
i think it is just natural reaction to the general question: how you make money. Nobody will tell. because nobody want you to know it, and nobody want you to repeate steps, which somebody alredy making. Or in the best case, somebody will tell it in e-book, only because by that e-book he will make money on you :), by teching you how to make money :)
very interesting.
thanks for answer. Yes i definetly learn something here.

You're approaching this with the wrong mindset:

If, for example, you have a domain and you ask for input on which is the best way to develop it, or you have a website and you ask for help on tweaking it, I'm sure you'll get a bunch of people here who will give you their advice freely.

But the answer to your question(s) you will never learn from a single post. Or 100 for that matter.

Imagine what it takes one to learn how to walk when they are born...One step at a time :)

•••
I want to know secrets too :lol:

•••
Experience is everything. Learn from mistakes (yours and others), that's the reason I came to NamePros, to learn from mistakes :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back