IT.COM

question How to set prices for domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Akbar

Established Member
Impact
I am very new to this and have very less knowledge about how to set prices for the domains I have. I had a sale on Dan a few days back for $$$ and the domain I sold was less than a month old, it was a 5 letters pronounceable .com domain.

I have one domain which is "Blog" and extension (CCTLD this is what you call I guess, its not .com, no net, no org.. its other extension") and this is also very new and under 60 days lock..

What price should I sell this domain? its one word and its "Blog" and the extension, that's it. Also, the godaddy appraisal value is $4,000+

Any suggestions would be great.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
@NickB

Okay, thanks for the info Nick

•••
Part 1:

Who can use it? Is it a big industry or a small niche? How profitable is that industry or niche? How many competitors are there? Include alternative products or services in your assessment.

Answer those questions (to yourself, not the world). With those answers from the questions above, will the new owner profit by hundreds, thousands, millions, even more, by owning your domain name? Why does your name have better qualities than others which are available and would help this type of business?

Part 2:

Do you want to sell to international businesses? National? Regional? Local? Not to businesses? Do you want to sell to other domainers at wholesale price or to end users at retail price? That is, if you can define either to your own satisfaction.

IMHO, there is not a single "price" for a domain name. Discounting those that are worthless, of which there are millions, it depends upon where and how you present it and upon your own valuation within that market situation. I tend to value in price ranges rather than trying to set specific prices.

•••
“Price-tier” your portfolio.

•••
It's certainly an art that takes experience.

It is really hard to set a price on a domain without knowing the domain.

Anywhere from $1 to $10,000,000.

The vast majority of end users sales are under $5,000. $2K - $4K is a sweet spot for decent domains IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Part 1:

Who can use it? Is it a big industry or a small niche? How profitable is that industry or niche? How many competitors are there? Include alternative products or services in your assessment.

Answer those questions (to yourself, not the world). With those answers from the questions above, will the new owner profit by hundreds, thousands, millions, even more, by owning your domain name? Why does your name have better qualities than others which are available and would help this type of business?

Part 2:

Do you want to sell to international businesses? National? Regional? Local? Not to businesses? Do you want to sell to other domainers at wholesale price or to end users at retail price? That is, if you can define either to your own satisfaction.

IMHO, there is not a single "price" for a domain name. Discounting those that are worthless, of which there are millions, it depends upon where and how you present it and upon your own valuation within that market situation. I tend to value in price ranges rather than trying to set specific prices.

That is a piece of good information for me, thanks for your time to reply on this thread @Mike Goodman I will my homework and research. Thank you for your reply :)

•••
•••
It's certainly an art that takes experience.

It is really hard to set a price on a domain without knowing the domain.

Anywhere from $1 to $10,000,000.

The vast majority of end users sales are under $5,000. $2K - $4K is a sweet spot for decent domains IMO.

Brad

True, and yes I too noticed a lot of similar ones fall under $2k - $5k.. but you never know :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back