Dynadot

How to sell DN of a Chinese billionaire

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ali5005

Established Member
Impact
I registered the domain name of a Chinese billionaire. I was wondering how to go about selling this. I don't know if it has any value, I imagine that if someone registered a domain with my name I would like to own it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
However, the ACPA also contains a provision for personal names. The act expressly prohibits people from squatting on someones personal name if they have no legitimate right to do so and if they are using that personal name in bad faith. The bad faith associated with the use of a domain name many times relates to actions to attempt to sell the domain name to the named individual. However, it can also include other actions and is very fact dependent as to each case.

https://revisionlegal.com/cybersqua...registered-my-personal-name-as-a-domain-name/

Being a billionaire, they likely will have no issue affording the attorney fees. Can you?

•••
hahaha well i guess i made a stupid beginner mistake
Being a billionaire, they likely will have no issue affording the attorney fees. Can you?
I made a stupid mistake the name is zhang ying its a common name in china, i guess... would this still be a problem? if it is i will contact namecheap and cancel the domain name immediatly. I read a threat on here of someone doing something similar and thought it was a good idea.

•••
You're probably best deleting it. I don't know if Namecheap has a grace period or when you reg it - but if so you will get refunded or an account credit.

It only becomes an issue if you use it in bad faith, and you have no legitimate use for the name. If you plastered advertising on it referring to anything associated with the billionaire you mentioned, or emailed them trying to sell it to them, or used it to damage their reputation...etc, then you could have severe issues.

You're probably best off getting rid of it and avoid the possible risk, but that's just an opinion.

•••
You're probably best deleting it. I don't know if Namecheap has a grace period or when you reg it - but if so you will get refunded or an account credit.

It only becomes an issue if you use it in bad faith, and you have no legitimate use for the name. If you plastered advertising on it referring to anything associated with the billionaire you mentioned, or emailed them trying to sell it to them, or used it to damage their reputation...etc, then you could have severe issues.

You're probably best off getting rid of it and avoid the possible risk, but that's just an opinion.

thanks for the advice, I am new to flipping domains. I did not mean to use it in bad faith. You really saved me a big headache there. I have many domains, I use in my private business and thought of liquidating a couple, I did not realize there are legal issues with registering a domain. Thank god that is the only questionable one I have.

•••
Offer it to him and see if he will give you a gift. :)

•••
Offer it to him and see if he will give you a gift. :)
best idea, tell him I saw the name aailable and figured I would grab it and give it to you before someone else grabs it and might use it in bad faith.

Do not mention you want anything at all

Include a pic of your stud self in case he has a daughter that you can marry, jk

•••
best idea, tell him I saw the name aailable and figured I would grab it and give it to you before someone else grabs it and might use it in bad faith.

Do not mention you want anything at all

Include a pic of your stud self in case he has a daughter that you can marry, jk
if I only knew how to contact him :). Dude is worth something like 25billion lol

•••
Its game over, just let it expire. This thread alone will be used as proof of bad faith

•••
Its game over, just let it expire. This thread alone will be used as proof of bad faith
I already deleted it, contacted namecheap. I have a descent small portfolio for sale if anyone is interested :)

•••
Lots of fear mongering ridiculous replies!

Its all pointless rhetoric! Also a billionaire has no need for a frickin domain! If you were one would you give a damn? Get a grip!

BTW there is no copyright on a persons name!

Too many newbies spouting off on topics they no nothing about!

•••
There is trademark right to all famous celebrities, but not for ordinary people's name, not even the normal billionaires. Billionaires are not famous status. So, there is no trademark right on billionaires, unless they are famous billionaires with celebrity status.....eg billionaire Donald Trump

•••
There is trademark right to all famous celebrities, but not for ordinary people's name, not even the normal billionaires. Billionaires are not famous status. So, there is no trademark right on billionaires, unless they are famous billionaires with celebrity status.....eg billionaire Donald Trump

Say what?? More erroneous info.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back