IT.COM

strategy How To Sell Developed Domain Names?

NameSilo
Watch

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
@NamePros I can't find a thread section called " Developing and Selling Developed Domain Names " but I think it would be a good section to start so we can share general ideas, strategies and tactics. I have developed many domain names but never tried to sell a developed domain name yet. This is a post about the whole process of buying domain names, developing domain names and selling developed domain names. Cheers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think there is such a formula and I intend to find it. First let us estsblish that a developed website, that being an established website, has value and that value is determined by its features. Next we need to identify these features. What are they?

Traffic

Search ranking

Topic

Content

Backlinks

Social shares

Income

Assets (social media)

Contracts

Software

Theme development

Programming

Any others?
My sites will rank your site or hosted domains i have a dozen similar sites. I am messing around with my appraisal sites and scripts at present.

Last edited:
•••
A website still resides on a domain name.
Change the domain name of a developed site and its worth far less imo.
Therefore a developed website is also a developed domain name as opposed to an undeveloped domain name which is a web page.

Hi

over the years, there are have been notable instances where companies/ services, etc have changed their domain name and in many cases that change was an upgrade to a shorter domain or from a non dot com extension to dot com.

so, your imo, is invalid as far as depreciation of value is concerned.

though it's possible the name had a website in the past,
when the domain name was/has changed from the initial domain used to develop the website
then in the majority of times, the replacement domain, was not a developed domain.

imo...

•••
It's very time consuming and costly to rebrand. Anyway the point is completely valid imo, taking into account your imo for major developed sites. Try it and see. Imo.

Last edited:
•••
Anyway this whole imo thing is invalid because everything you say is imo anyway. So keep saying imo it means nothing. I'll stop using imo as of this post. Imo.

•••
@Eric Lyon You have a very good insight into this. Here's some questions if someone is looking to buy a domain name and finds a professional website (related to the domain name) hosted on it, and upon further investigation the domain name's spam score is zero or very low, will they be dissuaded from buying the domain name because there's no blank canvas?
That's hard to say without knowing the buyers market being targeted and evaluating a specific niche asset. However, a domain having no spam score or scam reports on it is definitely the type of asset that has less leverage to drive its value down by an acquisitions team.

Some prefer a blank canvas they can build out over time and others like to Jumpstart a new brands quick launch with preexisting traffic, email lead capturing, asset age, Etc..

Next if a domainer has a portfolio of 1000 names and I come up with a way they can each earn all reg fees over a year is it a commercially viable service?
Hard to say, again, without knowing more about each asset, niche, market, competition, keyword research, monetization options, demand, etc...

However, yes, it is possible to develop small 5 to 10 page service or digital download sites for keyword terms that have less competition and easier to index on page 1 for lower searched terms (e.g. 500 to 2000 per mo.) And be able to cover 1 yr renewal on the domains.

Is the time invested to get a site up with unique content and possibly some 3rd party sem campaigns to get it started worth it?

that's going to be different for everyone. Some have enough html, css, php, or cms experience to cut overhead costs and quickly pump out 1 to 5 sites per day, as well as sem experience to kick off a free or cheap campaign that starts to convert in the first 30 days.

Others will have to hire a designer, developer, marketer, etc.. to get things going. This could make it less feasible to build a network of sites on a shoestring budget and will definitely take longer to earn back what you put into it.

in most cases revenue developments fail, even with experience in building, designing, and marketing online businesses.

Not everyone's a winner and what works for one may not work for another.

I'm talking about mini sites related to the name with a variety of monetisation methods including lead gen forms, affiliate ads, and other methods depending on the name, subject and associated high volume keywords. Cheers.
This is from back in 2017, but it might lend a few more monetization ideas to consider: https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...options-limitless-revenue-potentials.1032079/

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back