Dynadot

advice How to Sell a Domain Name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Domain names can be quite valuable. Every week there are reports of domain names selling for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some even fetch well over a million dollars. Today, however, is the day you want to sell your domain name. Where do you start?
If you have a great domain name, then a quick e-mail to most domain name brokers will gather a fairly quick reply. However, getting through this gate is difficult. Why? 97% of domain names registered are not great domains. 97% of domain names registered are not worth spending time on. 97% of domain names registered are, well, you get it...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for sharing a good article.

•••
•••
•••
Yeah, right.
Brokers will post for you on the public platforms, advice to put forwarding to their page, but will never really go and look for end users themselves etc.
If you know such a broker, let me know.
Look at Flippa with all those DH brokers just posting lazily there with zero description on the name or any effort.

This article is just to convince domain owner that a broker is a big shot and he might not respond to you because he is so cool and important.

I assume the article publisher is in brokerage business or is linked closely.

•••
It was a nice read and thanks for sharing it. But frankly I have different opinions when it comes to identify how experienced domain brokers are.

First, the biggest problem with the broker experience part is that almost every domain broker has few selected rules and old-school criteria to accept certain domain names only for selling (as mentioned in the original article). Another problem is that all brokers do not pay attention to "what's the next big thing coming", like future tech names and etc. I know these names may not fit to the 3% of what these brokers would love to sell, but when the time comes, these tech domains (and other niche domains) surely hold potential to prove their premium'ness in the future. At least that's what I believe and confident about.

Secondly, hiring a broker is not possible as long as you don't own a premium domain; that's right, a one-word .com or, 2,3,4 Ls and Ns. I know the majority of domainers (not all though) do not own such premium names but I am also sure there are many domainers who have gems in their portfolios which they want to pitch to the right end user, and for that they find it necessary to hire a broker to start and represent things professionally.

Lastly, domain brokers only accept domains with huge sale prices, i.e. so that they can earn big commissions. Nothing wrong with that but I think it limits their services, experience and potential opportunities these other non-premium domains can offer.

These are just my 2 cents and with no offense meant to anyone and with utmost respect to all.

•••
The primary question is whether one has a primary domain name? The answer is yes, then the first objective is to search for a buyer. Some domain hosts also help to auction premium domain names. You need to know the value of the domain and you also need to know about the buyer so that you can get the optimum price for your domain.

•••
great information shared thanks.

•••
Yea, I have to agree that when selling a domain name you are better off just doing it yourself through sites like Flippa...Domain Broker's just have access to forums, public areas, etc...which basically means they do the leg work you are too lazy to do...rarely will they ever go out and search for people who want your domains...

However, some of them will have connections with people who buy/sell domains for a living but chances are you will not get what you want for that domain name going through someone like that.

•••
Great article, thanks for sharing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back