IT.COM

question How to price domain correctly for selling fast?

NameSilo
Watch

Domain noob

Established Member
Impact
I buy domains based on search volume and trends.
For example:

I've got a 4-word domain which has an average search volume of 6.5k and 18K search this month

for example: free ai photo generator

How do I calculate a fair price BIN for the end user and for a reseller to sell fast, like in 3-6 months?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’d go on NameBio and look for comparable domains with a similar keyword profile to see what similar domains *have* sold for. Even if the results aren’t going to be like-for-like, you can at least get a baseline for expectations.

•••
Search volume isn't the relevant metric. Underpriced high-quality domains tend to sell more quickly. Head over to the beginner section to learn about what qualifies as a high-quality domain.

•••
For example:

I've got a 4-word domain which has an average search volume of 6.5k and 18K search this month

How do I calculate a fair price BIN for the end user and for a reseller to sell fast, like in 3-6 months?
Domains don't sell fast, unless they are high enough quality and priced low enough.

Most (4) word domains would have little, if any, demand unless it was a unique case like LasVegasRealEstate.com or something similar.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The search volume has nothing to do with the quality of the domain (the same thing is true for how many extension is taken, Godaddy appraisal, etc...)
This is a big mistake that many people made.
Just ask yourself a question "What type of website would it be?"
Cheap name are not good and good name are not cheap.

•••
I'm not sure why search volume is not a matric for domain. when I search for 'prompt engineering jobs' on google, The first site that ranks on google is "prompt - engineering - jobs . com"

•••
I'm not sure why search volume is not a matric for domain. when I search for 'prompt engineering jobs' on google, The first site that ranks on google is "prompt - engineering - jobs . com"
Search volume can certainly be a valuable metric when it comes to domain value, however it depends on the type of domain.

Some terms might have decent search volume, but you don't really build a business on them. A lot of long tail terms are like this.

So search volume is a factor, but not the only factor.

Something like "free ai photo generator" might have search volume, but would have very limited value as a domain.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I put myself in the shoes of the target audience for this particular name. I thought “wow that’s a mouthful, ai is everywhere, I’ll just hand reg freephotogenerator.com”. Back to the question of price given a 6-month window, I’d ask for $10 wholesale, $2k retail and make sure that auto-renew is turned off. Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
Search volume can certainly be a valuable metric when it comes to domain value, however it depends on the type of domain.

Some terms might have decent search volume, but you don't really build a business on them. A lot of long tail terms are like this.

So search volume is a factor, but not the only factor.

Something like "free ai photo generator" might have search volume, but would have very limited value as a domain.

Brad
Yes, I seed it this way:

high-quality domain often - but not always - implies high search volume, while high search traffic doesn't imply high-quality domain.

•••
”Less is more”
This is 4 words, and we know 3 words is pushing it.

Last edited:
•••
The amount charged by similar domain will help.

•••
I put myself in the shoes of the target audience for this particular name. I thought “wow that’s a mouthful, ai is everywhere, I’ll just hand reg freephotogenerator.com”. Back to the question of price given a 6-month window, I’d ask for $10 wholesale, $2k retail and make sure that auto-renew is turned off. Good luck!
but 'free photo generator' has only a search volume of '720' whereas as 'free ai photo generator' hits 18.1k searches last month. The search intent behind these two is also different.

Last edited:
•••
Where did you get the search volume number from?

•••
but 'free photo generator' has only a search volume of '720' whereas as 'free ai photo generator' hits 18.1k searches last month. The search intent behind these two is also different.
End users don't care about the search volume.

•••
Ai is everywhere including image generators, so the domain label ai is superfluous. Regarding search volume, Google’s keyword tool gives me the same numbers for “photo generator” and “free ai photo generator”. I’ll take door number one, thank you. As a type in traffic operator, I gave up trying to make sense of keyword tools a long time ago. Sometimes a “sld.tld” estimate correlates to actual traffic but there is no substitute for experience and gut feel.

•••
•••
For example:

(average monthly search volume) x (cpc) / 6

Average monthly search volume = (6,500+18,000) / 2 = 12,250

If cpc is $1
12,250 x $1 / 6 = $2,041

$204 if cpc is 10 cents.

If you are willing to wait for 4+ years to sell, divide by 1.5 instead of 6

•••
(average monthly search volume) x (cpc) / 6

Average monthly search volume = (6,500+18,000) / 2 = 12,250

If cpc is $1
12,250 x $1 / 6 = $2,041

$204 if cpc is 10 cents.

If you are willing to wait for 4+ years to sell, divide by 1.5 instead of 6
Thank you. This helps

•••
A four word domain would be a difficult sale.

•••
I really like this quotation from @johnn!
Cheap name are not good and good name are not cheap.

As others have said, it is important to focus more on the utility and value to realistic possible buyers, rather than a single metric such as search volume alone.

An important question to ask yourself is do you see this name as one a business would adopt as their brand name and only domain name, or do you see it as a product or service match that might help the business attract market share, but would not be their actual name. If the latter, search volume has relevance, to some degree CPC too if they are judging cost of domain vs doing online advertising, but they should not the only factors, even then.

While there are some 4-word names that command a good price, generally speaking, the longer the name, the more it will struggle to not have equally good, or better, names available, thereby lowering the worth. The exception, as @bmugford pointed out earlier, is if the 4 words are needed to express a single service, product, idea, etc.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Domaining, if done properly, is a speculative venture over the short term and a profitable one over the long term. Treat it like any other speculative venture and don't aim for quick sales. That's a sure way to either go broke or (at the least) wind up disappointed.

Quick flips generally require more time/effort investment and result in less profit over the long term. Just buy good names for good value, price them for end users, and be patient.

•••
It ranks because they spend alot for seo experts companies not only because of keywords .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back