Dynadot

How to Make a Living in the Domain Business

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Currently, I am averaging about $70,000 per year in PPC, revenue sharing, and affiliate programs. And I would like to let some people in on a few secrets. I cannot promise you will do the same, but the following information I could easily write a book and sell (but you are gong to get the best info for FREE).

I currently own close to 1800 domains and close to 1000 of them are poker domains. Yes, I know what you are thinking (all the good poker domains are gone) and its not going to help you… well I have some very interesting news for you. I read an article last December on the internet, and purchased about 10 domains because of this article. 3 of these 10 domains I purchased make an average of $25 dollars per day in PPC. Together that is $75 per day and about 1/3 the revenue that I make on my PPC per day (from these 3 domains). But before I go into this, about getting the best name, I want to discuss how I got where I am today.

When I got into the domain business just more than 2 years ago, I fell flat on my face (just like I see many of the newbees today). But I learned from my mistakes and I learned from my profits. It’s just as important to learn from what you do right vs what you do wrong. If you do something right… can you do it better?

In the first 3 months of my venture in the Domain Business and maxing out one of my credit cards, I realized that about half the domains I purchased were going nowhere. I had them parked at Afternic and moved them to SEDO a few months later. However, there was just one domain that I picked up and it purchased it by accident. It was a typo from a non trade mark site. And I was actually getting traffic and PPC on SEDO with this domain. So I started buying more similar Typos, but I was not the only person buying typo domains and the really good typos domains for PPC were bought up quickly. So I had to came out with a method that really helped me find some great typos and I am going to share this with you…..

1) Use a spreadsheet or text document that you can SORT. I personally use excel

2) Type the name of the domain you want the typo for, over and over and hit the return key after each time you type it. This will have it appear each time on a new line.

3) After each time you type the name, you MUST pick your hands up off the keyboard because it prevents a repetitive pattern.

4) Sometimes I type it about 20 times and rest and save the document.

5) If you can, do not look at the screen when you type, or if you make a mistake do not correct it.

6) After you type the domain about 500 times, then sort out your column of text. Now you are going to be able to see the most common typos you make because the common mistakes will be grouped together.

7) Sometimes I have others (type) it out because I don’t always make the same typos. My cat makes the most typos now.

About the same time learned this method, I started getting more poker domains. And yes I was lucky to grab many nice typos of poker sites. However, I currently own over 400 poker site typos which makes up over 60 percent of my PPC.

After a while I did pick up some trade marked domain typos and even found a way to dodge them (I am not going to go into that now). But if I did pick up a very good trade mark domain typo that makes a large profit, I always do a private registration. It does not stop them from taking the domain; however it weeds out the attorneys that just send the normal certified letter to scare you.

The next bit of information is how to find and get the domains that have potential. This is how I found those 3 domains last December. And in a similar example….. a few days ago I saw this article on the GOOGLE news about how GoldenSpirit is going to get into the online poker business.
http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=88803

Golden Spirit is a very rich mining company in Alaska and now they want to get into the online poker business. Well they did pick up GoldenSpiritPoker.com but guess who owns GoldenSpiritPoker.Net and GoldSpiritPoker.com. Of course it is just speculation, however, I like my chances with a company who has the money to advertise. Last December I did the same with FullTiltPoker.com and it is really paying off.

The bottom line is reading as much as you can about a domain you are interested in buying can be all the inside information to score big. It does not have to be a poker domain. Big companies make mistakes by only buying the .com and not any similar domains/variations, and that is were domain buyers like us have the edge.

I have said this in other post, and maybe I am shooting myself in the foot by saying it here, but everyday… I read the news on Google about poker. I also always monitor www.PokerPulse.com because I want to know how all the top poker sites are doing. If there is a new online poker site or event, I want to know. Sometimes I wonder if I should be reading about technology more than just poker.

I am not saying everyone had to buy poker domains to be successful, however, the domain industry and technology is NOT stagnated. 2 years ago “POD” was unheard of. What is going to be the next new key words? Well it’s not going to just fall in your lap, but one of the first to know really helps. There is tons of articles just waiting to be searched and read by speculators like me and you, and it’s all FREE.

I believe that….. To be successful in the domain business you have to learn from your mistakes, your profits, and with the information I have just provided you it only takes the initiative. I can just see it, I made everyone on NamePros a millionaire.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Midano said:
How do you think this will work on hyphenated domains? IDNs? Domains with numbers ("4" or "four")? Different words that sound similar ("four" or "for")?
When you say "IP", will it be recognized as "IP", "eye P" or "I pee"?

Keyboards are here to stay as long as there's no real Artificial Intelligence. And it's not going to happen anytime soon.

They'll figure out a way around that, no worries. Just a matter of adding an extra letter or comment when you have a number or hyphen. When you say a zip code you say "Zip49673" and the computer recognizes it as a zipcode or whatever...I don't know, I'm a web guru, if I developing voice recognition I'd probably be working for Logitech now :)

By the way, you ever been to CeBit? You'd be amazed when you see what's lurkin in the tech/IT background!

Last edited:
•••
nice article dan ..really helpfull...now i gonna do the same trick ur following and share the results i get...

btw..do spare some time and post more such awesome articles again..thanx!

•••
ThreeD said:
By the way, you ever been to CeBit? You'd be amazed when you see what's lurkin in the tech/IT background!
I've built some of these high tech mock-ups used at CeBit and Comdex. You'd be amazed at what's lurking in the background to create the illusion that these devices work so well :)

•••
Can I bring up a slightly old topic - this is a great thread!

•••
compuXP said:
Can I bring up a slightly old topic - this is a great thread!

Thanks for bringing it up :] I was not a member when it was posted, so I have noticed this thread only now. Great article & comments.

By the way, I was looking for typos using similar method - I was typing myself and asking my brother to type. I have some profitable typos already and I hope to get more.

•••
A long thread but very interesting. So many points have been made, including one or two of those below, but i feel obliged to leave my observations in various directions. A bit devils advocate...just for debate purposes you understand!

1) Is domain-typo registration really an "ethical" practice or are we prepared to gloss over that with reasons and excuses as we are all trying to make money from this? For example, how would you feel if you owned a brand, spent lots of money and someone redirected traffic this way? Not illegal i know, but I can't help but feel it's one of those things that if it wasn't there, the world may just be a slightly better place. And yes, i do own one or two typos and am being hypocritical ;)
2) Poker - riding the crest of a wave? Dot-com boom? Partygaming share price? Get my drift?
3) $70k is a lot, but i earn about 75% that off just one affiliate domain. No legal issues, good content, less futureshock issues maybe? Would have thought this was a better investment in effort?
4) On the issue of voice recognition, initially I think it will lead to more "typos" - not less! But even if it is 100% accurate, there are many times in the day when i dont want to/cant talk. And imagine an office full of people talking to their PCs :hehe:

Cheers

Simmo!

•••
Your method for finding typos is very interesting (and awesome). I already spent some time thinking about stuff like probabilistic algorithms to find commonly mistyped words. It never occured to me that I could maybe just write the word 500 times and look at the results. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. :'(

•••
Reading that article was inspirational. I wonder how heavily other professional domainers rely on typo domains?

•••
Simsi said:
4) On the issue of voice recognition, initially I think it will lead to more "typos" - not less! But even if it is 100% accurate, there are many times in the day when i dont want to/cant talk. And imagine an office full of people talking to their PCs :hehe:
It would lead to more “typos” in the sense that the speech system would “type” the “wrong thing” and people would end up at the wrong site. Someone would say “NetFlix” and the computer might hear “Net Flicks”. At least in the best case scenario. In reality it would probably hear “Networks”, so you'd end up at “Networks.com”
But these wouldn't be typos in the traditional sense, and it certainly wouldn't lead to more “typo” domain names. What it could lead to is widespread usage of names like RentDVDsOnline.com. Perhaps the natural pauses between words would come to be recognised as hyphens and Rent-DVDs-Online.com would be the name of choice.

There is another aspect to this as well. If people will be talking to their computers the computers will probably be talking back. Why talk into your cel phone to go online and order a DVD and then thumb through links on a tiny screen. Seems to me you'd have the phone read the content to you through your bluetooth headset while the phone is tucked away in your pocket. So you now have a computer reading you the name “NetFlix”, and you have no idea how it's spelled.

TTS is a far more mature and wide spread technology than voice recognition. While I'm working Anjali is whispering in my ear giving me stats such as who hosts a potential clients website, how long it's been online, what other sites are owned by the same company, etc. Because of this I'm acutely aware of many problems involved in communicating domain names by speech alone. This would also contribute to people avoiding “typos” or funnily spelt names and going for a name which can be spoken and heard with the highest degree of accuracy.
Shorty said:
Reading that article was inspirational. I wonder how heavily other professional domainers rely on typo domains?
It depends on the domainer. There are a lot of major players out there that have a lot of typos. There are others that don't have any.

•••
What a great thread, thanks for the information everyone! :)

•••
wow, this topic sure has changed since '05.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back