IT.COM

How to hand register domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bhavik10

Established Member
Impact
What research should be done before hand register a domain name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I asked the question myself too.
Spend 3 months to read in the newbies section.

•••
Hello!

You might ask, among many questions -

Who are the intended potential buyers - your target audience - for the name;
Why would that target audience prefer ( buy ) my domain vs other names that may be available;
What similar names are available, at what price'
What have similar names to " mine " sold for and to whom?

Advice about reading is always good advice and NamePros has numerous threads and posts you should find worthy of reading.

Welcome to NamePros!

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Welcome to the domain world.
Spend 1/2 months to read about domain

•••
Hi - One of the questions to ask your self is "How come thousands of people before me didn't choose to register that name when it dropped, have I really found a nugget of Gold that everyone else missed?".

This is because the vast majority of hand regs were in fact registered in the past, and let go (dropped). So when it dropped no-one else wanted it. Check out it's history on archive.org.

If there is no history and you are the first then consider your chances of selling it. Who else is going to want it and how will they find it? Alternatively if you have a list of targets and intent to outbound then consider which other extensions have been registered. If you are buying the .com and the .net, .info, .org is taken then there might be a case for selling it as an upgrade to them. You need to do your own research.

If you are a speculator then finding hand registrations to hold for a long while whilst technology catches up with you is a plan. Finally chasing hot trends with hand regs might work {edit} but after the trend is over is it really worth holding it?

Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
•••
cartoon-military-general-salute.jpg

•••
•••
Hand registering is fun and addictive. But only a handful of people get it right, and being that sell though rate (how many domains you can sell per hundred domains registered in a time period, say a year) will be less than 1%, Instead check out some of the active domains that are in godaddy auction etc and try to figure why a lot of people are bidding a lot of bucks for some domains

•••
Welcome

If you are registering two word domains, make sure they are in the best order. There is a big difference between "top box" and "box top" for example. It isn't enough to put a couple of keywords together regardless of order or association.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back