NameSilo

How to Get Reputation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Again, I want to ask this. I have learned about $NP and understand it. And now want to learn about reputation. I see a lot of members have stars under their profile. What is that exactly? and how can they get it? I'm sorry if this question is stupid sounds, but I'm curious to know about it :red:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
reputation is earned by your posting and starting threads, everytime someone finds something you posted or replied a positive message, they will add reputation to your username...

by clicking on
attachment.php

so after this message you can click on my reputation level and add one for me :p

Attachments

• reputation.gif
    reputation.gif
    321 bytes · Views: 94
•••
MIR said:
so after this message you can click on my reputation level and add one for me :p

or you can click the exclamation point and report a bad post, such as one begging for rep points. heheh :)

•••
RegFee said:
or you can click the exclamation point and report a bad post, such as one begging for rep points. heheh :)

He gotcha with that one MIR :lol:

•••
You also get rep from positive Trader Ratings, plus the more rep you have, the more rep points you give when you give rep to others.

•••
yes I have read them all. Thanks for your sharing all. So I will get star if I have been a member here for one year hehe.
Great, this forum is very unique :D I just consider it :laugh:

•••
I didn't know you get rep from trader ratings, how much do you get approx (assuming its different from user to user - according to user's trader points?)?

•••
From TR you get 10 points for each positive TR.

•••
As Nick pointed out. it's always the same 10 points..

The only time rep points change from user to user is when they are given.. the more rep a user has, the more points he gives when he chooses to do so.

bbrez1 said:
I didn't know you get rep from trader ratings, how much do you get approx (assuming its different from user to user - according to user's trader points?)?

•••
Thanks for info :)

Just one more question...

I got about 5 reps from different people in last two days and my points total have changed for like 5... is it that the more rep you have, the less you get?

•••
bbrez1 said:

I got about 5 reps from different people in last two days and my points total have changed for like 5... is it that the more rep you have, the less you get?

Nope, if the person repping you has little or no rep of their own it counts for less. If you were to get repped by someone that has rep out the wazooo it would count for more.

•••
bbrez1 said:

From how I understand it, depends on the amount of rep the person has
that is leaving it for you that helps determine the points.
If they don't have much rep, not much points are given,
if they have a lot of rep, more points.

•••
Even iam bit confused earlier but later on i understand that

•••
yeah you're right, it will be understanded when we get new experience.

•••
Yes I know it depends on how much REP a person has when repping you, but my points changed from about 580 to 585, from 5 reps and some user left his username and I checked that his rep isn't that small :d, so I assume that the more rep you have, the less you get.

Dunno :)
Thanks for all answers.

•••
not quite bbrez1. The people that repped you may rep others a lot so the people they rep don't get so much.

If someone with high rep and doesn't rep others much then you would get more.

Last edited:
•••
That makes sense, thanks Peter.

•••
I think you're right.. I asked about this one time and I think my rep was worth 70+ points.. the more rep someone has, the more they can give.

mis_chiff said:
From how I understand it, depends on the amount of rep the person has
that is leaving it for you that helps determine the points.
If they don't have much rep, not much points are given,
if they have a lot of rep, more points

•••
Dave in Carthage said:
I think you're right.. I asked about this one time and I think my rep was worth 70+ points.. the more rep someone has, the more they can give.

Take the following scenarios:-

Person A has 1000 rep points
Person B has 10000 rep points

If they both give rep roughly the same amount of times then Person B will give more rep points.

HOWEVER

Person A has 10000 rep points

In this case if say person B always gives rep and person A hardly gives rep if they both give rep to someone person A would now give more rep.

Think of your rep score as your balance of rep you can give out. The more people you rep the less rep you have available to give.

•••
Then I should definitely have plenty because I rarely give rep unless it's well earned. ;)

Peter said:
Take the following scenarios:-

Person A has 1000 rep points

If they both give rep roughly the same amount of times then Person B will give more rep points.

HOWEVER

Person A has 10000 rep points

In this case if say person B always gives rep and person A hardly gives rep if they both give rep to someone person A would now give more rep.

Think of your rep score as your balance of rep you can give out. The more people you rep the less rep you have available to give.

•••
How do you get reputation? Easy, Make out with the wrong people and dress a little to provocatively.

•••
Dave in Carthage said:
Then I should definitely have plenty because I rarely give rep unless it's well earned. ;)

Emm.. didn't know this , I love giving out reps coz I am always finding useful posts on NP. Maybe I should restrain my thanks? :o :'(
Nah, I'll just stick to repping everyone in site. lol..:hehe:

•••
wussadotcom said:
Emm.. didn't know this , I love giving out reps coz I am always finding useful posts on NP. Maybe I should restrain my thanks? :o :'(
Same here + give everyone rep for helping out this noob

•••
Lol, it's not that I don't ever give it.. just that I only give it when I think it's been particularly well earned.

To me, giving rep is like a commendation for a job well done, when someone has done something out of the norm or gone the extra mile. If you give it to everyone, it tends to dilute the meaning :imho:

Another site I go to has a Thanks button and a Rep button. You can give Thanks for the useful posts and again, I save the Rep for something special.

That's just me.. if I give out 70+ rep points at a time because I don't give it out alot, it means a little more.

Again, :imho:

wussadotcom said:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back