Dynadot

advice How to get: Honest harsh opinions on a domain portfolio.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dAvo

Brand Strategy | E-commerce | Marketer | AussieEstablished Member
Impact
Gday NamePros,

I’m looking for anyone with domain sale experience to have a look at a list of domains - and share honest feedback and advice on the portfolio.

Each portfolio contains around 800 names, and as a newbie in the selling space, without much confidence - looking for a mentor/adviser to let me know if it’s worth continuing. And if i should rethink my purchasing strategy.

Appreciate any help in advance.

Dd

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you have 800 names and you are new to domaining, then you certainly need to rethink your strategy. The best way to do it is buy 1-5 names and then try and sell one, then reinvest that money in more names. You really you have $8000+ in renewal fees every year.

When you say "each portfolio", what do you mean by that, you only have 1 portfolio which is a list of all the names you own.

•••
Thanks for your reply.

We've segmented portfolio's - as they're registrered in different places.

I guess you can say i'm not new, i'm just new to understanding more about the strategy.

Thankfully i've sold enough to cover the expenses to date. But that's what also made me catch the buy bug.

Which is why i'm looking for honest feedback from current stock;)

•••
Thanks for your reply.

We've segmented portfolio's - as they're registrered in different places.

I guess you can say i'm not new, i'm just new to understanding more about the strategy.

Thankfully i've sold enough to cover the expenses to date. But that's what also made me catch the buy bug.

Which is why i'm looking for honest feedback from current stock;)

You need to narrow it down and put your best few names in the appraisal section. Nobody is going to appraise 800 names. What sort of names have you sold? What niches?

•••
I've only sold short brandables - .com.aus.

How many do you suggest I add to the appraisal section?
And what types?

Thanks again

•••
I've only sold short brandables - .com.aus.

How many do you suggest I add to the appraisal section?
And what types?

Thanks again

It really depends what you think are your best names. Some keyword names are better than brandables and some brandables are better than keyword names. Pick your best 10 names and see what feedback you get. The more names you post, the less chance of getting any appraisals.

.com.au names are notoriously hard to sell (I'm an aussie). You will struggle to get a lot of feedback on aussie names here. The issue you have is the extension, they are not easy to sell and the aussie domain market is not strong, having said that, if you are have made over $8000 in sales of .com.au names this year, you are doing better than 95% of domainers out there.

You would be better off focusing on a few good .com names, they are a lot easier to sell. This thread has tons of great selling advice and tactics - https://www.namepros.com/threads/how-to-find-potential-end-users.68798/

Good luck

•••
So that's a lot of names across 2x 3x 800 ??

If your consistently selling across your several collections and clearing that $16,000/24,000 PA costs your probably on the right track. I agree this is probably more of the right-time to separate the wheat from the chaff. Particularly if your not making any clear profit rather than look to continue to expand your portfolio. There's obviously a big learning curve your still not familiar with if you can't sort through your own holdings. And yes, I can admit it took me about 5 to 7 years from the start of domaining to be able to do that myself.and I was up to 2,000 names by then. So your not alone (Difference was I was at the 1999 to 2007 period)

There's probably one or two old hands that may be willing to go through your portfolio over an evening or two but I think your going to scare even those away with the request for a "mentor/adviser". I've been caught-up in that cycle myself in the past when offering help then becomes a constant stream of emails requesting Explanations/further summaries/selling advice etc etc.

Be careful that you don't end up with 'volunteers' just looking to scan you portfolios for bargains.

As gilescoley has mentioned. you might be best selecting about 20 to 30 names to start and listing them in a single appraisal thread. Try to make sure that you think they are good and stretch across several subject matters etc. Then work-on from there.

Can you state how many you own in each extension. Again as gilescoley has said the Aussie extension/market is not particularly well understood her on NP same for the UK (myself) apart from yes you guessed it GC

Last edited:
•••
post your top 50 domains here,
and you'll get fixed about the value

experts domainers will tell you the value within 2minutes
and if there is any good domain in your top50, you may even get some offers

also i recommend a paying solution
join Nameworth for one month
and submit your domains for appraisals

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back