IT.COM

advice How To Choose Valuable Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Pay attention to the sites that rank on the 1st page, you can reach out to these people and aim to sell them the domain as well. This works especially since the domain you have is an upgrade to the domain they are currently using.

A simple email stating how they will benefit from getting the domain you have to offer will do. Remember, if the name itself is good the selling part will be easy. If you are trying hard to sell a name and getting nowhere re-analyze that name and make sure it passes the test of the factors we mention.

If you own a domain name and do not find ANYONE else on the internet using a similar domain name to yours online, what does that tell you? It probably means your domain name sucks and may not be a good choice for resale.

Read more here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
mate i've got to take my hat off to you for posting that up - its a fantastic article and so so helpful for people still learning like me. thank you :)

•••
mate i've got to take my hat off to you for posting that up - its a fantastic article and so so helpful for people still learning like me. thank you

Hey Paul.

Glad you found value in it! We tried to put key points in it that we look for everyday when browsing through domain names. Feel free to share it with anyone you think could benefit!

-Omar

•••
•••
•••
hey omar

will do thanks - is really good of you to help ppl out and share what you know. could i ask - is there any particular areas/niches you like to buy in (such as Geo) or do you mainly focus on names with popular keywords in?

•••
hey omar

will do thanks - is really good of you to help ppl out and share what you know. could i ask - is there any particular areas/niches you like to buy in (such as Geo) or do you mainly focus on names with popular keywords in?

There are not necessarily niches that I like to stick to. Geo's are tricky because it has to be a highly populated area (such as a main city in a state). But I also like Geo's because small businesses find use for them highly.

Whenever I am looking at a name I pretty much as myself "Can a business have use for this type of name?". Also, the metrics behind it should give you an indication as to how "competitive" or sought after the keywords in the domain are. Yes, I do like to see that the keywords are popular because it somewhat shows me OTHER people know this exists.

So no, I don't just stick to certain niches because it will limit the potential of domains I could consider purchasing but as mentioned in my post, I go through a checklist of things before purchasing.

-Omar

•••
As always Omar it's a pleasure to read your post. Thanks for sharing ;)

Best,
Paul

•••
Hi Omar,

Question. what would you do if you have approached companies with similar domain names and no one has got back to you what would you next step be.

FYI domain in question is whiskeyonline.co.uk and the company i approached is whiskey-online.com TLD is different but would be good for SEO purposes.

•••
Hi Gareth. whiskey-online.com is parked. The hyphen suggests that the business would not have a massive budget anyway. Most distilleries are based in Scotland and Ireland. Maybe contact some of these to see if they are interested ?

Many sell online Google ..

micro whiskey distillery brewers UK

I think you should contact these people to try and sell the domain.

Best,
Paul

•••
Hey Omar,
Thanks very much. Very enjoyable, interesting & informative read!

Regards

•••
awesome post! useful info and fun to read! hope you guys write alot more of them!

•••
I haven't really found owning a better keyword domain of much use when reaching out to end users (after considerable outbound marketing efforts). They already have a domain name, have spent resources developing that site and perhaps even building links to that site and don't want to pay for another one or build another site (and don't want to pay more than $XX for a domain name).

Quite often sales occur when a company wants to launch a new project or the company is a new business with no website / domain.

•••
Hi Omar,

Question. what would you do if you have approached companies with similar domain names and no one has got back to you what would you next step be.

FYI domain in question is whiskeyonline.co.uk and the company i approached is whiskey-online.com TLD is different but would be good for SEO purposes.

Whisky from the UK (Scotch) has no 'e' in it.

•••
Well spotted JimmyM.

However you are only half right ! Whisky from Scotland is not spelt with an 'e'. However Whiskey from Ireland is spelt with the 'e'.

Personally a nice single malt from Scotland wins every time for me ;)

Cheers,
Paul

•••
Well spotted JimmyM.

However you are only half right ! Whisky from Scotland is not spelt with an 'e'. However Whiskey from Ireland is spelt with the 'e'.

Personally a nice single malt from Scotland wins every time for me ;)

Cheers,
Paul

Indeed you are correct Paul, but I was referring to the UK only, which Ireland is not part of. (Unless they make whiskey in northern Ireland?)

Laphroig 15 is my go to choice :)

•••
•••
Great choice Jimmy ;)

Now no whiskey from northern Ireland. What !!! Don't let an Irish man hear you say that.

Bushmills !!!

Have a great day Jimmy ;)

Best,
Paul

PS Sorry Omar for high jacking your thread !

•••
I personally prefer macallan or dalmore. i have a few of the port ellens in my collection

•••
cheers Omar - thats great thanks , lots of useful info to be going on with thanks

•••
thanks For sharing. i think selling part is very difficult. i can't some of my good name at low price

•••
selling is really hard - finding the leads is ok enough but actually managing to get in a dialgue with someone & close it out is very skilled work

•••
Hi Omar,

I wouldn't know if they wanted the .co.uk version though. I believe the hyphen shows that they maybe wanted the exact phrase "Whiskey Online" and if someone approached them with that, they may be interested. I believe when you can upgrade someones domain to a .COM, they are more receptive.

If they don't reply, there really isn't much you can do. Either keep trying or get a little more creative to see who else would be able to benefit from owning the domain name. Also, just list it in marketplaces cuz, ya never know.

Hey Omar,
Thanks very much. Very enjoyable, interesting & informative read!

Regards

Your welcome!

Thanks for checking it out!

awesome post! useful info and fun to read! hope you guys write alot more of them!

Thanks!

Yes, we are planning on writing more on various topics in the near future.

I haven't really found owning a better keyword domain of much use when reaching out to end users (after considerable outbound marketing efforts). They already have a domain name, have spent resources developing that site and perhaps even building links to that site and don't want to pay for another one or build another site (and don't want to pay more than $XX for a domain name).

Quite often sales occur when a company wants to launch a new project or the company is a new business with no website / domain.

Makes sense, but I've heard of lots of websites upgrading to a better TLD especially if their domain had hypens, was long etc. It's NOT the only strategy but just something to consider. I love to see other web owners who have the longer, uglier version of my domain name. It just makes sense to me.

Nice post.

Thanks!

cheers Omar - thats great thanks , lots of useful info to be going on with thanks

Glad ya liked it! Thank you!

thanks For sharing. i think selling part is very difficult. i can't some of my good name at low price

Yes, selling is hard in any industry. Get something others value.

selling is really hard - finding the leads is ok enough but actually managing to get in a dialgue with someone & close it out is very skilled work

Yep, that's why some brokers do very well. It's a tough gig.

•••
hi

i read thru your presentation and it's evident that you put in some work, so +1 for that.

however, this paragraph below, as is, can be misleading for those who don't have experience or who don't perform further research. as it concludes to an assumption, not a fact.

The searches being so high means a lot of people are searching for this product and know about it. This adds a lot of value to the domain and puts you in an excellent position to sell it.

the basic premise is that any term or phrase that gets high results is valuable, when in fact that is not true.
as there can be high volume, but no actual visitors, if/when such keywords are registered as domain names.

this is true of gkwt, just as is was for overture tool.

with so many domainers using this tool and the further promoted use of it, one should make note of those particulars.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back