IT.COM

question How to block a specific TLD in Gmail ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Asfas1000

Top Member
Impact
I am getting tons of spam daily from specific tld's (.ml, .gq, .ga etc) and the spammers appear to have HUNDREDS of domains in these tlds. So, I can't block the domains one by one.

Anybody know if it is possible to block a whole extension in Gmail ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I blocked facebook by putting an entry in my localhost file. You should be able to do this with a tld.

•••
I would love to know how to block .top in my Mac mail. Almost every spam email I get is originating from the .top extension. Not exactly what ICANN had in mind releasing all these dreck extensions...

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
The battery is flat on my windows machine, so I'm posting from Ubuntu. I'll charge it tomorrow and have an experiment with localhost. Meantime, if anybody has done this, perhaps they could post the info here.

•••
I tried but it doesn't work.....:(
It sort of works. You have to follow the instructions exactly. If you use lowercase "or" it will not work.

Use "Never send it to Spam" and "Delete it" if you don't want them to show up in your Spam label.

Edited to add: Gmail ignores the dot so it will only work on unique extensions that won't match other parts of the sender's email address.

Last edited:
•••
It works. You have to follow the instructions exactly. If you use lowercase "or" it will not work.

I tried creating a filter for .men and it marks several emails containing the word "men" which are not from a .men tld.

•••
I tried creating a filter for .men and it marks several emails containing the word "men" which are not from a .men tld.
Tell Gmail to stop ignoring the dot. :xf.grin:

•••
Tell Gmail to stop ignoring the dot. :xf.grin:
You can use an email client (with your Gmail) that has better filtering support: Outlook, Postbox, Thunderbird, etc.

Google's filtering algorithm on all of their products (Drive, Gmail, etc.) is their biggest incompetence. Sad for a search company.

Last edited:
•••
ou can use an email client that has better filtering support: Outlook, Postbox, Thunderbird, etc.

Google's filtering algorithm on all of their products (Drive, Gmail, etc.) is their biggest downfall. Sad for a search company.

You're spot on !

It's hard to leave Gmail though...

Maybe a Gmail plugin could provide this capability....

•••
I would love to know how to block .top in my Mac mail. Almost every spam email I get is originating from the .top extension. Not exactly what ICANN had in mind releasing all these dreck extensions...

Use the rule settings and you can filter these. I do it.

•••
It's hard to leave Gmail though...
You don't have to leave Gmail.

You can use Outlook, Postbox, Thunderbird, etc. to filter your Gmail emails. You don't have to use those email clients beyond that. All you have to do is open one of those email clients, add your Gmail account to it, add the filters to it, and leave it open on your computer. It will then delete all the unwanted emails, and you can continue using Gmail's web interface for reading/sending emails.

GL!

Last edited:
•••
You don't have to leave Gmail.

You can use Outlook, Postbox, Thunderbird, etc. to filter your Gmail emails. You don't have to use those email clients beyond that. All you have to do is open one of those email clients, add your Gmail account to it, add the filters to it, and leave it open on your computer. It will then delete all the unwanted emails, and you can continue using Gmail's web interface for reading/sending emails.

GL!

Now that's really useful ! I will try it, thank you :)

•••
Hello, same problem here with .top and I do not want to block them outside Gmail.

So there is not working solution ?

Thank you for your help.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back