NameSilo

information How Speculators and Registrars Trade Internet Safety for Profit

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
This report also explores the no-holds-barred world of so-called domainers, the website speculators whose sole purpose is to snap up potentially valuable names and sell them at a premium – regardless of whether the name might have public interest benefits (as was the case with coronavirusinfo.com, which a domainer purchased at the start of the COVID crisis and immediately put up for auction for a minimum price of $5,000). In another instance, Digital Citizens investigators attempted to purchase daterapedrug. com, but were informed that it would cost $4,745 to do so. Instead, Digital Citizens was able to purchase date-rape-drug.com from Namecheap, a domain registrar called out by a leading cyber security company of sponsoring malicious domains.

1. Introduction 2
2. COVID and Domains: Profiting From Fear and Panic 4
3. Sex Trafficking & Domains 10
4. Dangerous Drugs and the Domain Industry 12
5. Searching for Responsibility in Domain Wild West 14
6. Conclusion 15

read more (dca) PDF or download attachment bellow.

Attachments

• DCA-DOMAINS-OF-DANGER.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 163
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I used to hold 30 at BTC1000,
Unfortunately, I sold it at $2,000,
I want to cry now

•••
This is the rule that I go by:

If a domain name has the ability to enhance a business's prestige and profitability by many folds then it's only fair that the domain owner be compensated for that domain proportionally to the potential benefits that the domain can create for the buyer.

On the other hand if a domain name is sought by a non profit organization that has proven to wanting to do good for Humanity and the Environment then it will be prudent to give that organization a substantial discount or to donate the domain altogether if one is in a good enough financial shape.

In the case that the CEO and other executives in a non profit organization are being paid exuberant salaries and bonuses then it's only fair that the domain owner also be compensated for the full value of the domain considering that if the executives of such organizations are not willing to sacrifice their own personal interest for the cause that they are fighting for then why should they expect the domain owner to do so.

IMO

•••
I don't agree with them at all but good read. Thanks.

•••
This report ... Digital Citizens

Seems they left out ties to registrars and domain investment causing cancer in infant babies or global warming.

For people who are involved and engaged in the discussions within the ICANN community, there are some familiar lobbyist faces there in the roster of their advisory board. LINK: https://www.digitalcitizensalliance.org/about/meet-digital-citizens-alliance-advisory-board/

Their modus operandi is to drop a deuce like this just before an ICANN meeting to psychologically condition the people who are working on the policy development processes. Tried and true pattern.

•••
437 of phishing-ready domains were registered just in the past 2 hours alone. That’s a very big deal.

•••
As per the public info posted on the website, Executive Director of this "alliance" served as Vice President of Government Relations and Communications at VeriSign, where he was responsible for driving strategy with policy makers regarding homeland security, Internet security and telecommunications policy.

It is not obvious that such a connection (verisign) adds creditibility to whatever reports they may produce.

At least, he should definitely be able to separate industry participants from each other - some do register covid domains (as related np thread shows), but many domainers don't. Some do allow discussing and/or selling them (namepros forum as well as epik marketplace, both are doing this as a support of freedom of speech as far as I understand), but many don't (Sedo, GoDaddy, DAN).

By some reason, the author(s) of this report did not go that deep.

Well, with Knujon in the advisory board such an outcome is expected. On various occasions, Knujon posted things that were too far from being professional or technically correct.

Last edited:
•••
The article misses the point that the domain name and the website that someone can put on that domain are two completely different things. Also you have to wonder if they are suggesting that certain domain names should be censored, and then you would have to wonder who's going to be doing the censoring and by what standards.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back