IT.COM

question How prices of crypto domains are correlated to prices of cryptos?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

33S

Established Member
Impact
I felt like asking a stupid question today so here it is. How prices of crypto domains are correlated to prices of cryptos?

Let's take bitcoinwallet.com for example (sold in January 2014 for $ 250k). BTC was around $800 at that time. Would it be fair to say it would sell today for $5M?

I'm aware that domains and cryptos have very different liquidity qualities (very different is an understatement), but I think this is still an interesting question.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I felt like asking a stupid question today so here it is. How prices of crypto domains are correlated to prices of cryptos?

Let's take bitcoinwallet.com for example (sold in January 2014 for $ 250k). BTC was around $800 at that time. Would it be fair to say it would sell today for $5M?

I'm aware that domains and cryptos have very different liquidity qualities (very different is an understatement), but I think this is still an interesting question.
I am sure the owner of bitcoinwallet.com would say it's worth $5M, but at the time it was what people said someone overpaid for, whoever bought it, probably has made a small mint in bitcoin as they would have been a believer to spend that kind of money.

Correlation with any domain related to any industry is the amount of money, and investment that is coming into it, and right now cryptocurrencies are really at the early stages, as long as the general public doesn't get burned to quickly the funds should keep flowing, and that should turn into great returns for domain investors in the space.

•••
I think there is some correlation, but not as direct as the bitcoin price would have it. So I don't think that bitcoinwallet.com would sell for 5M today, but likely more than 250k.

•••
Yesterday I changed all my Bitcoin and crypto names from BIN to " make offer". I'm also switching a few names into my crypto portfolio - names like altxx which have some tenuous association with the crypto market.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back