IT.COM

debate How popular will the nTLDs be within the next 3 years?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steven Pilditch

Established Member
Impact
How popular will the nTLDs be within the next 3 years?

I want your honest feedback and I am looking for mixed opinions, for a balance debate. There is not right or wrong answers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
As popular as they are today.

•••
@Malin How popular and how mainstream would you say they are now?

•••
Depends on the extension and the combinations of the name (keyword) PLUS extension.

I am (rather) positive that great matches of keywords and extensions will be sought after. Why should'nt they.

•••
Thanks for posting your opinion.

•••
@Steven, they are just as popular as .co were when they were first launched, but afterwards they stated to slow down.

•••
•••
@Malin How popular and how mainstream would you say they are now?

Short, numeric .CLUB, .TOP and somehow .XYZ names are very popular already. Many other extensions are not selling at the aftermarket at all. They are not 'all the same'.

•••
Same applies for most of the *new* extensions that were released throughout time before the nTLD's. Some were really popular, but the vast majority was ignored.

•••
Wrong question - .Info has millions of registrations but good luck trying to sell one to an end user for $XXXX.

Developers and end users can get rather creative to come up with a domain that is available for reg fee - to avoid having to pay more than reg fee - add extra words, abbreviations, hyphens, numbers etc. It is only when even the crappy combinations are all taken (i.e. more than 100 million .COM registrations) that they might consider paying for a decent name.

So while it is possible that over the next five years you may see some developers and small businesses with reg fee budgets develop on nTLDs, I believe new TLDs will for the most part be a disaster for the majority of domain investors. The registries and registrars will do OK. Yes, even in Vegas there are winners and you can be rest assured those rare aftermarket sales will get a lot of press - to encourage more newbies to piss away more money on registrations / renewals.

•••
They'll follow the path of .mobi
That is where I learned to stay away from new and/or obscure.
Only the "hacks" will have some value.
Meaning, if LLclub.com has X value, LL.club will have comparable value, normally less.

I find it entertaining when people somehow think LL.longextension is a "short" domain. Shortness is about total number of characters and LL.company is equivalent in length to 6L.com not 2L.com

•••
It will not take long time and the 'new' G/TLDs will be considered as 'ordinary' extensions.
I already have the impression that nearly every word / term could be used as a domain extension today.
One more reason to own some .top's ;)

•••
Yeah, wouldn't it be great? )
You could have .kingoftops )
I could just get .recons and get done with it )

•••
Yeah, wouldn't it be great? )
You could have .kingoftops )
I could just get .recons and get done with it )

I am sure if you would pay enough you could start your .recons of course.
Then you could sell / rent .recons domains haha :$::$::$:

•••
I am taking preorders for LL.recons :D

Stay tuned for 0.99 coupons for NNNN.recons buyout :D

•••
I am taking preorders for LL.recons :D
Stay tuned for 0.99 coupons for NNNN.recons buyout :D
That's top!
But I only want to preorder p.recons :D

Last edited:
•••
Short meaningful GTLD extensions like .club, .guru, .news, .media, .city, .tech, .land, .link, .life, .tips, .sex, .world, .design, .guide etc will become popular. Also future releases like .web and .app

•••
I don't think the mood will change significantly over the next 3 years. You know why ?
New extensions are already more than one year old. Time flies...
.biz is 15 years old. And it is one of the most 'successful' of new extensions.

.club could become one of the most successful among newly-released extensions, but in terms of sheer volume it is still far behind .biz.

Millions of regs doesn't mean an extensions is popular. Just see for yourself how often you visit websites in new extensions in daily life. People know that plenty of other extensions exist besides .com/.net/.org/.edu/.gov etc, they just aren't familiar with them and thus tend to discard them.

The domain name system tends to be very stable (remember that DNS is 30-year old technology), like Internet protocols and infrastructure. Things move very slowly, very slowly...

•••
i too dont understand why people are so enthusiastic about .xyz, .club, .top or .whatever while they are not so about .biz, .mobi or .info which all are older, have more regs and more sales?

is .mobi really worse than .club... or does .biz sound worse than .xyz?
where the belief .xyz is going to be more successful than .biz comes from? (dont tell me google bought abc.xyz and 8.xyz sold for big bucks, if you believe in that can change anything you may also believe .moe is not that bad...)

still they keep regging/buying awful combos or not fitting words in nGTLDs that they would not even think of taking in biz/mobi/etc.
talking up each others handregs and how they were lucky to grab coolicicles.xyz...

i see nothing wrong in owning strong fitting word+tld combos like music.club or business.news or even after.life if you got it for say $50 and the renewal is $20 something. but when people brag about paying $x,xxx for something and/or that has $xxx renewal on it - hey, you probably already paid end user price, now the question is not how to profit but rather if you will ever manage to recoup your money..

•••
The level of public awareness will increase when new gTLD websites appear on search results they browse.

The rate of adoption can be accelerated when large entities adopt to there use and market/brand themselves on these new extensions.

The next 3 years should be long enough to assess only initial success or failure, many more years will be needed to stabilize each extension.

•••
may not be reaching all corners of the world like dotcom, but there will be gradual growth.
.xyz is reached very well and .club they are doing great promotions, rest of the gtlds will have slow and steady growth no doubt it.

•••
The level of public awareness will increase when new gTLD websites appear on search results they browse.

The rate of adoption can be accelerated when large entities adopt to there use and market/brand themselves on these new extensions.

The next 3 years should be long enough to assess only initial success or failure, many more years will be needed to stabilize each extension.

Public awareness will increase when new gtld websites appear on search results

New gtld websites will appear on search results when public awareness increases.

Catch 22...

•••
Public awareness will increase when new gtld websites appear on search results
New gtld websites will appear on search results when public awareness increases.
Catch 22...

That's why we invented advertising.

•••
Advertising $ has to provide a good return on investment (ROI).
Spending money to get a foothold against .com, .net, .org, cctlds in the minds of billions of people would be an uphill battle and, eventually, a big waste.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back