IT.COM

discuss How much would you agree with GD domain name appraisal while buying or selling?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
I would still appreciate the fact that GD evaluation is free and unlimited.
Yet, how much would you agree with its evaluation price and how do you take your decision while buying or selling domains?

I just tested just random names and got these values

NameGD Valuation $
ChatGPT.com1305
sshhhh.com1668
hobiut.com1166
3fdre.com1137
1f3.com2177
iamafool.com1418
utoobrutus.com598
youtoobrutus.com642
Comedaddy.com2174
ppania.com1133
silonce.com1232
siduce.com1160
ypaed.com1404

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't put any trust in Godaddy, estibot or any other automated appraisal tool when you go to price, buy or sell a domain......

If anyone quotes their valuations to you during a negotiation........double your price immediately and say another bot told you do so because it's a good negotiation tactic.........

🙄

Anything that prices PinkTurtleFish.com at $1,032 has some serious design flaws......

•••
I literally never even looked at these numbers, even when I was buying domains at GD auctions/closeouts. It's pure mumbo-jumbo.

Last edited:
•••
I only ever go to GD Domain Appraisal tool for the following reasons:
  1. To check the comparable domain sales. Although I can get sales data from Namebio, GD provides some additional data not available on Namebio.
  2. To check if my own domain is showing price there. If it does, then that means my domain name is added to Afternic premium network properly.
  3. Just to get an idea - I don't trust it, but some buyers may. So it doesn't hurt to take a look.

•••
Yet, how much would you agree with its evaluation price and how do you take your decision while buying or selling domains?
When valuations are in the 3K and above, there appears to be at least some reliability of some significant value to a domain. When the appraisal is 1K or less, there seems to be more uncertainty about any resale value whatsoever.

•••
I do check and record GD appraisal for my domains but I don't use it for pricing my domains in fact most of the domains I buy I price them and list them for sale then check GD appraisal later (in many cases I forget to check) , I use them as an extra metric along with number of taken TLDs and SERP results. In few cases GD appraisals can be handy in drawing your attention to some underpriced domains to investigate.

Last edited:
•••
I can only agree with a value after. I look at previous domains sold on extension and keyword and see whether or not can attempt a highest record or scaled combination of keyword.. if that coincides with bot appraisal then think on money. The contributing factors of how it is appraised may offer additional information to user other than a price. Price bots don't have wallets and although can rate your name they don't tell you whether it is the best name for niche. I don't dislike price scripts as have them but they are a tool that isn't money in bank.

Last edited:
•••
I find it to be a very broad value indicator. One domain valued at 1.5 k could be worthless while another domain also valued at 1.5k will sell for 15k plus. From a past sales perspective we sell a lot of domains in the 2-8k range that gd values at 1-3k.

Last edited:
•••
One of the simplest and most accurate ways to value a domain name is to look at the sales prices of similar domain names. Platforms like Flippa and DNJournal provide a list of recently sold domain names, along with their final sale price.
That is an important caveat. Recent sales are important for comparison. The GD appraisal includes undated sales for comparison. How do you compare a sale that was many years ago, when there were far fewer tld's and all the other permutations now available?

Overall, now with the great expansion of extensions and the addition of hyphens, the valuation question becomes far more complicated. Perhaps a high level of skepticism is merited when weighing in the value of such appraisals.

Last edited:
•••
Their appraisal is a joke and so is their 25% commission rate.

•••
Imo, one important target group of these automatic appraisals are the customers of GoDaddy registrar who are unsure whether or not to renew their domain. A higher value of the appraisal shown could positively contribute to more renewals.

•••
I predict their company will fail in the long run because I think they lost touch with the reality. NetSol also flied high at some point and where is it now? Wall Street is not stupid.

•••
I predict their company will fail in the long run because I think they lost touch with the reality. NetSol also flied high at some point and where is it now? Wall Street is not stupid.
This will of course open up second hand market places but pretty clear middle man is being pushed. New sales will keep them afloat long term over the domainer that needs the turnover.

Last edited:
•••
This will of course open up second hand market places but pretty clear middle man is being pushed. New sales will keep them afloat long term over the domainer that needs the turnover.
There is only so much of dumb money to go around. Plus Google is already at 10m registrations.

•••
•••
There is only so much of dumb money to go around. Plus Google is already at 10m registrations.

Google uses a pretty much the same technique. I typed in erfdeghdsef.com, which of course was free, and they immediately assured me that it's a great domain as it's easily pronounceable etc. Can't decide which one is more sleazy, fake endorsements or fake appraisals.

1676654456495.png

•••

NameGD Valuation $
ChatGPT.com1305
sshhhh.com1668
hobiut.com1166
3fdre.com1137
1f3.com2177
iamafool.com1418
utoobrutus.com598
youtoobrutus.com642
Comedaddy.com2174
ppania.com1133
silonce.com1232
siduce.com1160
ypaed.com1404
Those are horrible examples to use, since they're all made up names/brandable type names. The foundation of GoDaddy appraisals are what most people suggest, comparables. So it's going to work better with real words.

Example.

Let's say you own cocoabeachrealestate.com

And then the appraisals spit out 4 different keyword + realestate sales from the state of Florida. That's where it's more useful, just to give you an idea or range to work with.

Last edited:
•••
Imo, one important target group of these automatic appraisals are the customers of GoDaddy registrar who are unsure whether or not to renew their domain. A higher value of the appraisal shown could positively contribute to more renewals.
And is this really ethical? For myself, their appraisals did influence my decision to keep renewing my domains. In retrospect, it was foolish for me to do so, for at least any domains valued less than $1000. As others have mentioned, there are better parameters to help with such determinations.

•••
Google uses a pretty much the same technique. I typed in erfdeghdsef.com, which of course was free, and they immediately assured me that it's a great domain as it's easily pronounceable etc. Can't decide which one is more sleazy, fake endorsements or fake appraisals.

Show attachment 232419
Google charges $12 flat for .com and .us at least for now.

•••
One of the simplest and most accurate ways to value a domain name is to look at the sales prices of similar domain names. Platforms like Flippa and DNJournal provide a list of recently sold domain names, along with their final sale price.
Thanks for pointing that out. Recent sales matter.
So if the GD appraisal tool provided the actual year of the comparison sale, that would be a good start.

•••
I have sold a name for 4K a few months ago. GoDaddy's estimated value was 1.5K

•••
And the worst part is many low value domains are given $1000+ value which gives a wrong impression to the investors and make them purchase the domain or continue to hold it with a high value expectation.

•••
This is a proof that the tool is not so bad. It was a problem if the tool indicates 1/10 or 10 times the selling price!
To be an automated tool in my opinion the estimates are reliable. I know it is my personal opinion not supported in this forum but which are the free options?
Selling a domain it matters the demand, the domain may be poor and worth nothing but if the buyer is really interested he may even pay more than its value. Let's not talk about it if then the buyer is a company.
I use it a lot for dictionary name registered with ngTLD.

Last edited:
•••

NameGD Valuation $
ChatGPT.com1305
sshhhh.com1668
hobiut.com1166
3fdre.com1137
1f3.com2177
iamafool.com1418
utoobrutus.com598
youtoobrutus.com642
Comedaddy.com2174
ppania.com1133
silonce.com1232
siduce.com1160
ypaed.com1404
We can't accept GD appraisal, because the real value of domain depends on the buyer's company.

•••
This is a proof that the tool is not so bad. It was a problem if the tool indicates 1/10 or 10 times the selling price!
To be an automated tool in my opinion the estimates are reliable. I know it is my personal opinion not supported in this forum but which are the free options?
The Estibot valuations are provided for free, up to three a day. Saw.com has some free appraisals, but it remains unclear how much more accurate they are compared to the others.

Do you ever wonder how many potential sales are lost or won based on these tools?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back