How much should a good web design cost?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Demitri

Established Member
Impact
I am a bit confused. I am trying to get my website up and running and have all the ideas. I need to know if I should go with a domain company who also provide website builder or should I higher a web designer to make one for me.

Which is better in terms of cost and quality?

help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It will depend a lot on the required functionality of the site. For starters, Wordpress + a good looking theme may do the job(<$100). If the site needs more functionality like e-commerce for example, I would hire a designer/developer.

•••
If you have to ask the cost?
You can not afford it.
Paraphrasing J. P. Morgan

•••
How long is a piece of string?

Web site builders generally suck. They're easy, they're cheap, they suck.

•••
minimum price is 100$ for any project you can set.

•••
Wordpress is one of the best platforms to start building your website. Easy tools and very friendly dashboard.

•••
•••
Thank you all, I just highered a webdeisnger for $100 from fiverr.

•••
How long is a piece of string?

Web site builders generally suck. They're easy, they're cheap, they suck.

Yes, you are 100% right! We offer $500-$15,000 to build a site. Which type of site you want to build? Do you have written the project plan?

•••
Connect to JanBaskdigitaldesigndotcom.. there are many affordable packages in your budget.

•••
"How much should a good web design cost?"

This is like asking "How much does a good piece of software cost?"
Of course we would all say "It depends on what the software does!"
The same answer applies.

In general, there are 2 ways to get a job done:

1)Fixed Price - The web designer gives you a single price for all the work

2)Time and Materials - You pay the web designer an agreed upon hourly/daily wage to complete the work.

1)Most "experienced" business savvy web designers avoid Fixed price jobs. Why? Unless the job is really small, it is virtually impossible to precisely estimate EXACTLY what you want for your website BEFORE the job starts. Heck. You probably don't know exactly what you want. So, one of three things usually happen with fixed price jobs:

a. The web designer delivers EXACTLY what you asked for. But not what you want. And you end up unhappy.

b. You convince the web designer to "work for nothing" to make all the little changes until it's just perfect!

c. The web designer holds out for more money and you pay. You end up unhappy you paid more but you get what you want.

Result (c) is usually what happens on the fixed price job.

2)Time and materials arrangements avoid the unrealistic expectations of the fixed price job. The web designer (if they are experienced) will give you "estimates" based on the information you provide. However, there is an understanding that "changes cost money". The hard part here is making sure you have an honest and reputable web designer who doesn't try to cheat you.

Some shrewd companies will offer you a low price fixed bid knowing that they will get more money from you as described in 1c above. Be careful you aren't comparing those prices with an honest developer giving you realistic numbers.

You may also be lucky to find a "hungry" developer willing to do a fixed price job just to "get experience" or build their business. Because of their lack of experience, the outcome of that is unpredictable. But, you may be willing to take that risk to save money.

Ask for references of previous finished websites they have done. Ask for contacts that you can communicate with before you start.

Lastly, make sure the agreement is on paper and signed by both parties. Unwritten agreements are only worth the paper they're written on, meaning nothing.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back