IT.COM

UDRP How much for a UDRP lawyer?

NameSilo
Watch
So I got hit with a UDRP regarding an LLLL.com. I didn't pay a lot for it, so I would rather not spend thousands on defending the case. But just wondering if somebody knows the approximate cost of hiring a domain lawyer these days?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@berryhillj should be able to assist you with the info you are seeking..

•••
Well only you know how close to the wind you were sailing with this particular domain. I've always thought if I ever got hit with a UDRP (never have - touch wood) that i would pretty well know if it was defendable or not before involving lawyers I just wonder sometimes when you've been involved with domains for many years, (such as yourself) how much is there to really miss these days ?? (I'm just thinking out loud)

I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand what gives as to lack of 'Applying' and then defending yourself. Of course like many here I have the greatest of respect for Mr John Berryhill , and he would certainly be my first port of call if I felt I needed a paid for defense.

Note - Yep I always understand why case- makers (complainants) chance their arm

Last edited:
•••
Well only you know how close to the wind you were sailing with this particular domain. I've always thought if I ever got hit with a UDRP (never have - touch wood) that i would pretty well know if it was defendable or not before involving lawyers I just wonder sometimes when you've been involved with domains for many years, (such as yourself) how much is there to really miss these days ?? (I'm just thinking out loud)

I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand what gives as to lack of 'Applying' and then defending yourself. Of course like many here I have the greatest of respect for Mr John Berryhill , and he would certainly be my first port of call if I felt I needed a paid for defense.

Note - Yep I always understand why case- makers (complainants) chance their arm

I do feel confident I can win the case, but a lawyer will certainly be able to prepare a better defence. Anyway, I might try to defend it myself. It might even be fun :)

•••
My minimum has been $0. My maximum has been in the neighborhood of $10,000. Where any particular case ends up depends on the circumstances. Is it a difficult one... is it an easy one... is it worth chancing on a single member panel... does the respondent seem capable of doing it largely on their own with some relevant case citations.... how much of a PITA is this person to work with... and so on. As far as "is it a winnable case", I've handled more than 300 UDRP cases, and so I'm usually not interested in spending time going over dozen or so losing arguments which domain registrants frequently come up with.

But I'm always happy to CONFIDENTIALLY (i.e. not on a web forum or its message system) review a case and let the respondent know what I think. What I'm not happy to do is to argue over it, if its one that is best transferred under UDRP Rule 17.

What I generally WILL NOT do is to take cases on some kind of contingent basis. There have been approximately five times where someone has offered some kind of interest in the domain name in whole or part exchange for a defense. Those sorts of arrangements have been uniformly disappointing for a variety of reasons. I also don't need to take cases on the prospect of some kind of "publicity" value for winning.

Last edited:
•••
My minimum has been $0. My maximum has been in the neighborhood of $10,000. Where any particular case ends up depends on the circumstances. Is it a difficult one... is it an easy one... is it worth chancing on a single member panel... does the respondent seem capable of doing it largely on their own with some relevant case citations.... how much of a PITA is this person to work with... and so on. As far as "is it a winnable case", I've handled more than 300 UDRP cases, and so I'm usually not interested in spending time going over dozen or so losing arguments which domain registrants frequently come up with.

But I'm always happy to CONFIDENTIALLY (i.e. not on a web forum or its message system) review a case and let the respondent know what I think. What I'm not happy to do is to argue over it, if its one that is best transferred under UDRP Rule 17.

What I generally WILL NOT do is to take cases on some kind of contingent basis. There have been approximately five times where someone has offered some kind of interest in the domain name in whole or part exchange for a defense. Those sorts of arrangements have been uniformly disappointing for a variety of reasons. I also don't need to take cases on the prospect of some kind of "publicity" value for winning.

Thank you for the valuable input. Much appreciated.

•••
So a domain name has to have a wholesale value of at least $10,000 to defend respond to a UDRP, just to break even. Don't let complainants know this or they will squeeze their offers very low.

•••
Sometimes it's not about the domain per say, I mean if you had to come down the middle, and pay $3-4K to defend it, you set a standard that they simply can't file a nonsense udrp, instead of buying the domain, if that is the case. It can be a matter or principal, and standard to defend what you have going forward. Also you don't want to be named as a loser in a UDRP, I am sure your reputation to yourself is worth a few $K. I would recommend you get J Berryhill to review the filing, and if in the mid to lower 4 figures to defend, I would pay to defend your name, reputation, and to add a notch for the domain community.

Plus you own a valuable portfolio, sad case saying as domains go up in value, more of them will try to do the same to have to not pay for your names, so it's a good process to learn, and consider it an education going forward.

Last edited:
•••
Back