Dynadot

question How much does it cost to file a UDRP?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I want to price my domains below the cost of an end-user filing a UDRP on me.

How much would it cost THEM to file one against me? From soup to nuts how much?

Can someone give me a range and what's involved? Not just Cost but time wise?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's $1,500 for a single panelist and $4k for three panelists.

•••
How much would it cost THEM to file one against me?

It depends.

The lesser-used CAC charges an "initial fee" of 800 euro, but tacks on 300 euro if there is a response. Then, it will charge another 800 euro if the Respondent increases to a three member panel.

The NAF charges $1300.

WIPO charges $1500, and will charge an additional $500 if the Respondent requests a three-member panel.

Very few complainants do these in-house, so the UDRP fee is only a minor component of cost, since a lawyer will charge them anywhere from $2000 to $10,000 to file a UDRP, depending on the client and what the lawyer can get away with.

However, this notion of "I'll price it below a UDRP to make it a rational choice for them" doesn't actually work over a large number of trials.

There are organizations who will not pay $1 for a domain name if they can win a UDRP, because they believe that it only encourages more such names to be registered. So, even if you are asking them for $500, they will happily pay $4000 to take it from you in a UDRP. Their reasoning is that if they give you the $500, then you'll simply go register more variations of their mark(s).

Likewise, there are organizations with marginal trademark claims, and they want to establish a record of winning UDRP cases for other reasons. For example, they might be seeking registration of their mark, and have run into issues with proving whether their mark is distinctive. In that sort of situation, they don't care what you are charging for the name, they want a UDRP decision. There are a couple of other scenarios like this, where the decision itself has an additional value to them beyond just getting a domain name.

Additionally, there are some which simply file ACPA lawsuits, and if you are in the US, then you are going to have issues (although for the time being, the courts have slowed tremendously).

•••
Price the domain $1,488

The price BuyDomains.com is currently charging for;

NetKnicks
.com :vomit: :vomit:

feeling me, my NY homeboy?

Samer

Last edited:
•••
haha
It depends.

The lesser-used CAC charges an "initial fee" of 800 euro, but tacks on 300 euro if there is a response. Then, it will charge another 800 euro if the Respondent increases to a three member panel.

The NAF charges $1300.

WIPO charges $1500, and will charge an additional $500 if the Respondent requests a three-member panel.

Very few complainants do these in-house, so the UDRP fee is only a minor component of cost, since a lawyer will charge them anywhere from $2000 to $10,000 to file a UDRP, depending on the client and what the lawyer can get away with.

However, this notion of "I'll price it below a UDRP to make it a rational choice for them" doesn't actually work over a large number of trials.

There are organizations who will not pay $1 for a domain name if they can win a UDRP, because they believe that it only encourages more such names to be registered. So, even if you are asking them for $500, they will happily pay $4000 to take it from you in a UDRP. Their reasoning is that if they give you the $500, then you'll simply go register more variations of their mark(s).

Likewise, there are organizations with marginal trademark claims, and they want to establish a record of winning UDRP cases for other reasons. For example, they might be seeking registration of their mark, and have run into issues with proving whether their mark is distinctive. In that sort of situation, they don't care what you are charging for the name, they want a UDRP decision. There are a couple of other scenarios like this, where the decision itself has an additional value to them beyond just getting a domain name.

Additionally, there are some which simply file ACPA lawsuits, and if you are in the US, then you are going to have issues (although for the time being, the courts have slowed tremendously).

agreed. That one real estate developer really gave me a break at $1000. I didn't really push it.

They DID have me sign an agreement that I wouldn't squat on any of their upcoming developments ever again and in thee even that I did by accident because I did not know they are "attached" to the development I'd hand it over. Fair enough since I don't want to deal with them again.

I did have to hand over some real estate domains for some ridiculous exact match domains that were really exact match domains. really did not know what I was thinking with this. It was for the hudson yards development in NYC.

Never reached out to them but they reached out to me.

Same as above. Signed agreement to never traffic in their TM ever again but if I did simple solution just hand it over no lawsuit or anything.

I did not put up a fight. I guess that's why they let it go easy.

Strangely I did still own YardHudson.com and surprised that when I asked if I can keep it they let me. The lawyer's client said it was ok to keep it. I guess it's generic enough. Although I guess they could have taken it too since it falls within my pattern of "frequently" registering domains with their TM.

what do you mean by "doesn't actually work over a large number of trials." ?

I don't get it.

are you saying if I had a bunch of UDRP domains? and had a trial for all of them? I'd lose all of them?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Also, I've quit doing outbounds for my "grey" domains and decided to sit and wait for incoming inquiries if any.

outbounds for such domains are just exhausting because the UDRP will always be an option.

•••
so you basically gave in to their demands???crazy

•••
•••
My original background is in electrical engineering. That is a term from probability theory.

https://www.google.com/search?q="over+a+large+number+of+trials"

Wow Electrical Engineering?!?! cool that's like my uncle back home. I wanted to go into that field but parents wanted me to go into medical field. Probably why I never finished.

Uncle was a "mad scientist" lol built Tesla coils in his "backyard" basically the jungle.

so essentially the "idea" of lowering price below UDRP doesn't necessarily work most of the time. got it.

•••
so you basically gave in to their demands???crazy

yup even I realized it was a losing proposition.

I mean if they had a project called "1 Hudson yards" and you registered 1hudsonyards.com ummm you are basically in the crosshairs.

and something like that is no where near generic. I dare you to find any other address the same as "1 hudson yards" anywhere in the world. so yea just common sense had to give in.

gotta know when you pick and choose your battles.

now if it was 1 Main street. then ok then. go for it. many streets in the USA are named after Presidents like Washington or Franklin. etc etc.

if you are bored have a look at all the domains HMP Technology ( or H.M.P. Technology) I've seen that registrant name for many New York development address.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back