Domain Empire

How much do they make?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was wondering whn i buy a domain from a dn registar for 8 or 10$ how much does this registar makes? How much money gives each registar to ICAAN?
thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting question, i'd like to know that myself...

•••
if i am not wrong the registrar get domain name from ICANN for $6.00 each and plus $0.25 fees...

•••
For .com domain names, Network Solutions gets $6, and ICANN gets $0.25

•••
6.25$ and how can godaddy sell them for 5.19$ with host??

•••
Perhaps they make up the difference by placing PPC advertising on the 8 pages of ads you need to wade through in order to register with them :) Probably just a loss leader.

•••
oh, ok thanks! SO they all pay 6.25$?

•••
wad really is iccan? y we need to pay fees?

•••
ICANN: Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. ICANN is the new non-profit corporation that is assuming responsibility from the US Government for coordinating certain Internet technical functions, including the management of Internet domain name system. More information about ICANN can be found at their web site, which is posted at: http://www.icann.org.

•••
ICANN are the peeps that say ok, you just registered afjdhlaskjdfhlaskjd.info, and you're pointing that towards the IP 234.324534.35434.345, we'll set that up...Then they add it to a big old list and when someone goes to your domain, they get the page source from that server..

•••
So if someone hacks icann tehy can say when going to games.com go to my ip :) hope not!@

•••
monRa said:
I was wondering whn i buy a domain from a dn registar for 8 or 10$ how much does this registar makes? How much money gives each registar to ICAAN?
thanks

Generally, the registry gets $6.00, but there are reportedly some volume discounts. The .net registry is now $4.75 I believe, with the new ICANN contract. The registrar makes the difference between this cost and what they sell for less credit card and other costs. Margins are generally not high, but most of them offer hosting and other add-ons where they can really make their profits.

•••
I imagine if anyone has very good protection, it will be ICANN.

•••
primacomputer said:
Probably just a loss leader.

and, We have a winner :bingo:

•••
monRa said:
So if someone hacks icann tehy can say when going to games.com go to my ip :) hope not!@
One doesn't just 'hack' ICANN :D

•••
monRa said:
If someone hacks ICANN all they get access to is some paperwork. ICANN only does administration. They don't maintain any of the whois or zone files.

The unauthorised redirection of a name to a given IP on the other hand has been done many times by poisoning various name servers.

•••
Interesting information about hackers haking icann . :lol:.

•••
What's interesting is how quickly this jumped into hacking...evil minds at work?

•••
The registrars that sell their domain names for less then they pay for them are using this as a marketing technique to sell their hosting service where they will make their real long term money. The price from ICANN is $6.25 for a .com domain, that includes a 25 cents fee. Now some of the domain name sellers are nothing more then resellers of a domain name registrar. It takes a good stable company to become ICANN accredited to purchase directly from them as they have a set of high standards.

•••
i didnt know about the pricing , thanks :D

•••
My guess is ppl pay 6$ for .com to icann along with .25 cents as fees.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back