Dynadot

question How many .com vs. com.au registration?

NameSilo
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Trying to sell an exact match domain to Australian company. It's a URL shortener for their "three piece" (combo number and two words) domain. Mine is numbers and one word version plus in .com

Anyone Australian on here would appreciate your input on what Ozzie's are more use to or accepting of? .com or .com.au?

The exact match for their .com.au exists in .com but seems like they did not choose to buy it. Instead I guess registered for free their .com.au version.

I guess the real question is

National pride (.com.au) + free to register .com.au vs. buying the .com that was registered .

Also I just regged my short .com version of the .com that was registered meaning this company had the option (if they were clever enough to think about it) to reg it up until 5 days ago but didn't .

People are strange and koookie like that.

What are my chances of selling them my .com if they seem to have built their long version on .com.au?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Aussies only really use .com.au

I have tried this before with no luck, sold a few .com.au names to companies but never a .com

•••
•••
i see. that's why they didn't go for the exact match in .com.

•••
so ok the company I'm targetting I have an exact match .com domain for their "product" let me just say that.

yea sure their "product" has a .com.au

but when I checked this company's website it's a .com!

so what are my chances now?

they actually redirect their company .com.au to their .com

•••
I'd think a fair chance, *if* the product is marketed to a market(s) outside of Australia.

•••
Aussies mostly want the .com.au but it won't hurt to check if they want your .com

Tried to outbound a .com to around 30 Aussie companies. The only one that showed interest had a long tail .com.au (around 25 letters) but they still wouldn't reply to my follow up email.

But yeah it is a common thing to see long tail .com.au on shops, motels, vans, etc instead of a .com

I honestly only saw a .com once it was ozbarber made me want to snap ozchef at closeouts but I took a lot of time to decide on it. I believe I'm lucky I didn't snap it though.

That said, there are still plenty of good 2 worder .com.au available to reg but you need to consider the size of market in Australia, nothing like the .com

•••
I sold a .com for $5,000 to an organization based in Sydney that recruits international students to study in Australia. That .com now forwards to their .com.au domain.

•••
I am Aussie and you need to have dot com dot au registration if you want to sell to other Australians you also need ABN business number to register it in first place and already registered name as a business or company at ASIC.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back