IT.COM

question How long does it take the domain to be moved to GD Clouseout ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mike2100

Established Member
Impact
Hey guys , just wondering , yesterday , I was looking at an expiring domain (on ExpiredDomains.net) , till last seconds , there was no bids at all

immediately , I click the link to buy it from the Clouseout , but the domain was not there ,

I understand that because it happened to me before , it takes some minutes for the domain to be moved from the expiring domains and be available at buy it now Clouseout price

so any ideas how much exactly ???

someone has catch it before me :( , so what was the problem ???? i click the domain link within seconds :\ and kept refreshing the page :\

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i am also want to know the process

•••
Are you sure someone didn't bid on it in the final minutes/seconds of the auction? I don't know that ExpiredDomains has updated info to the second, so you may only know by visiting the auction page.

Domains on GD go to Closeouts after the Auctions, but I'm not exactly sure how much time in between.

•••
Are you sure someone didn't bid on it in the final minutes/seconds of the auction? I don't know that ExpiredDomains has updated info to the second, so you may only know by visiting the auction page.

Domains on GD go to Closeouts after the Auctions, but I'm not exactly sure how much time in between.
yeah I'm sure , coz if someone had bid in the final seconds , auction will be expanded for 5minutes

Today , I had the same issue , and lost a very good domain that way , so I tested another one to see how much exactly

I think it takes 10 minutes , if you go to the auction page in those minutes , you will see the "domain is no longer available " page , just keep refreshing it and you will see the Buy it now page

not 100 % sure about that , will appreciate it if you guys have any thoughts

Thanks every one

•••
yeah I'm sure , coz if someone had bid in the final seconds , auction will be expanded for 5minutes

Yes, you are 100% correct. I'm not sure what the time frame is from a GD Auction to a Closeout, although my experience is just a matter of refreshing the page every few minutes. I suppose in those few minutes the domain is in limbo land!

•••
Hey guys , just wondering , yesterday , I was looking at an expiring domain (on ExpiredDomains.net) , till last seconds , there was no bids at all

immediately , I click the link to buy it from the Clouseout , but the domain was not there ,

I understand that because it happened to me before , it takes some minutes for the domain to be moved from the expiring domains and be available at buy it now Clouseout price

so any ideas how much exactly ???

someone has catch it before me :( , so what was the problem ???? i click the domain link within seconds :\ and kept refreshing the page :\
The time between end of auction and expiry is not fixed but varies with each name. It might appear after 5 minutes but can also take 50 minutes. So the domain may not have appeared as a closeout until after you stopped refreshing the page, so somebody might have sniped it after you stopped trying to snipe it, rather than before.

•••
Takes 3-5 mins after auction ends with no bids, as far as i know.

•••
It depends on the day and also changes throughout the day. Typically it's about 5-10 minutes. But the time can go up and down randomly. I've seen it as high as 2-3 hours (although I'm thinking it was some issue on their end).

I'm guessing they keep it random to encourage people to bid and drive the price up .. because they make more money that way. Remember that every cent made of the auction or closeout price goes straight to GoDaddy (even if the domain never really belonged to them and in theory still can be redeemed by the original up AFTER you actually WON the auction of bought it at closeout).

•••
I'm guessing they keep it random to encourage people to bid and drive the price up .. because they make more money that way.
It's not that long ago that the time between auction end to closeout started becoming really random. Almost every name used to appear at the same time before (which made sniping much easier than it is nowadays). I agree that they must have changed it because they want people to bid and drive the price up, rather than snipe the names for $11.

Problem is that numerous people are monitoring which names get a bid in the last few minutes, and then jump in and start bidding too whenever you place a $12 bid (both individual domainers and corporate bidders). Some people were probably already waiting for that name to expire in order to snipe it and they start bidding too. I've often seen names have less than 10 seconds left, and then somebody place a $12 bid, and then 5-8 other people end up bidding on it and driving the price up hundreds of dollars. In a few cases, domains that nearly were let to expire with 0 bids end up in the $X,XXX range when somebody placed a last second bid. If just that one person hadn't bid in the last 10 seconds, somebody would have gotten the domain that somebody ended up buying for $1,5000 for just $11 (+renewal) instead. That's a crazy contrast in sales price!

So sniping and bidding pose entirely different acquisition budget ranges these days. The names you can snipe for $11 usually end up at least in the high $XX to low-mid $XXX range if you place a $12 dollar bid instead. And sometimes in the high $XXX to low $X,XXX range. If you place a $12 bid on a half-decent name, there is no just way you're going to get it for $12, at least 95% of the time. No decent names fly under the radar at GoDaddy, there are just way too many domainers looking through their lists for that to happen. The only reason decent names end with 0 bids is because the other people watching it intentionally don't bid because they want to snipe it instead. Once you start biddin these people will enter the auction too, and other people monitoring names that get bids in general too will join in too. So rather than get the name at $12, placing an opening bid just bring about a bidding war, and I very rarely see the person placing the $12 bid win the ensuing bidding war.

Although sniping is challenging these days (you have to sit there and refresh for a long time for some names, and once the name appears, you have to compete with other people to grab it first), you simply cannot get more value for your money in any other way these days. I buy a lot of domains at NameJet for example, but the starting bid there is $69 and final prices are usually in the $XXX range for any decent name, and $X,XXX for the good ones. At GoDaddy, I sometimes see the kinds of names that are regularly being picked up for $69-$500 at namejet end with 0 bids, which means somebody gets them for just $11.

So if a GD name has 0 bids, I always let it expire and try to snipe it. I'd rather take my chances and possibly get it for just $11, than starting a bidding war where somebody else ends up winning for more than I am willing to pay.

•••
Sh*t ! just lost another hell of a domain !
i've been refreshing for the last 20 m , absolutely someone has grabbed it -_-
what the heck :(

•••
I think it takes 1-2 hours.

•••
it's gone , gone with the wind -_-

•••
I update the closeout list every hour and the majority of the domains are moved to closeouts in about 6 hours. Here is a snapshot of the log:

2017-05-05 - 04:18:57 - 0 new domains, 49 domains removed, 207898 total domains
2017-05-05 - 03:18:49 - 0 new domains, 143 domains removed, 207925 total domains
2017-05-05 - 02:18:11 - 3 new domains, 131 domains removed, 208027 total domains
2017-05-05 - 01:18:24 - 3 new domains, 108 domains removed, 208031 total domains
2017-05-05 - 00:21:38 - 3444 new domains, 3148 domains removed, 208104 total domains
2017-05-04 - 23:18:48 - 8284 new domains, 14158 domains removed, 201189 total domains
2017-05-04 - 22:18:54 - 8273 new domains, 14079 domains removed, 200201 total domains
2017-05-04 - 21:19:23 - 8315 new domains, 14271 domains removed, 199494 total domains
2017-05-04 - 20:18:30 - 8764 new domains, 13863 domains removed, 199324 total domains
2017-05-04 - 19:20:34 - 8435 new domains, 14345 domains removed, 198599 total domains
2017-05-04 - 18:18:09 - 928 new domains, 7664 domains removed, 197910 total domains
2017-05-04 - 17:19:49 - 0 new domains, 50 domains removed, 204627 total domains
2017-05-04 - 16:20:00 - 0 new domains, 56 domains removed, 204653 total domains

You can see that new domains start showing up at around 18:00 and every hour more domains are added and removed.

Last edited:
•••
It has became totally random lately seen a couple appearing after as little as 10 mins and some even taking 3-4 hours other times.

•••
1 > Normally it takes 3-5 mins to move form Expired Auction to Close Out Auction.
2 > If someone add a domain to his Cart, this domain will be disappeared from Close Out Auction. But when he cancel his buying process, the domain will be appeared again in Close Out Auction. That's the reason why sometimes, you think that you lost a domain to otherguys, but it appeared 1 or 2 hours later.
3> Now, in my opinion, GD change the waiting time from 3-5 mins to 1-20 mins to avoid people waiting in their PC and get domains for only 11$. The more money you pay, the more profit they get.
4> People now using their own tools to catch names very quickly. So you can't wait in front of your desktop and refresh Chrome/Fire fox like you did before. I see tons of domains just appeared in my eyes or 1-2 seconds then ... bomb! they were disappeared like a whistle.
5> To get your wished domain nowaday, you must pay at least 12$ for it. And yes, there are tons of newcomers who think that they are domainers after watching Domain Sherpa's shows are willing to burn their hundreds bucks to auction to buy shit names and you must fight against by paying higher bid. But it's the life.

•••
how can i grab a good name $11 on godaddy closeout or expire domain( can you tell me the meaning of good name) or any other place to grab. please tell your experience to tech us to grow

•••
Is it just me or are pre-release names that don't receive bids taking a lot longer than usual today and yesterday to reach GD closeouts?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back