Dynadot

sales How I might lose a sale because of new ICANN rules

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnFolk

Top Member
Impact
Like for every other domain I received one email from registrar which is on behalf of ICANN for confirming my contact details, its been happening from january for almost every domain, this time it was for the domain that i had purchased last year that has about 3andhalf months to expire, while seeing my contact details for this domain, i noticed my name is not written fully. so i simply corrected it.

Next day i received an email that domain has been sold at BIN, and buyer wanted transfer so the process was started and finally the blow after few days of the transfer process that the domain cannot be transferred to new registrar because of 2 months lock now as per new ICANN new rule, which is most idiotic. I know its been done to tackle the hack/fraud of thieves but it shouldn't be done at the cost of us having loss or disservice. or like now its causing huge incovenience to me.

I mean here i am legit owner domain is 8-9 months old, i have buyer who wants to transfer, but one cannot because i updated full name the other day. and boom there is 2 months lock again, this besides the usual lock of 2 months that we have at the start.

I am finding this rule irritating, if they had to have this lock then they could have it for 5 days 10-15days or more, but again 2 months lock like its at the start of purchasing name is just ridiculous. and yes i might lose the sale too. I wish i dont but lets see. less hope.The buyer can be very particular about registrars, payment was done, transfer process was started and i had to tell this, he can even consider me shady and eventually cancel the sale. anyways lets see.

Also If only i didnt receive the email of confirming contact details i would have not updated it, As i said intention is right but they could have easily applied it in a much better way. i wish ICANN could immediately review this new rule of transfer lock.

Shared this here with you all, so that you take necessary precaution to be alert about this and never get stuck in the frustrating situation i'm in right now.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends on the registrar.. For ex: I have most of my domains at Uniregistry. Whenever I change the contact information, there is an option for me to opt out of the 60 day transfer lock.

Last edited:
•••
I believe Godaddy has the opt out option too. Try contacting your registrar..

•••
It depends on the registrar.. For ex: I have most domains at Uniregistry. Whenever I change the contact information, there is an option for me to opt out of the 60 day transfer lock.

I believe Godaddy has the opt out option too. Try contacting your registrar..

yeah thank you guys i am aware but on fasthosts like registrar where i have maximum domains, i am not sure whether there is that option given, i randomly updated the account name, and luck was such that domain sold next day and transfer lock of 2 months.

I presume major registrars like GD UNI are giving the option but not all registrars. Too bad i had to learn it this way.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back