Top Bottom
Dan.com

question How does EU trademark affect US?

Dynadot

jberryhill

Top Member
John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq.
Impact

Well, for a couple of reasons.

The main reason would be that persons might be less likely to want to buy the domain name from me if they see there is a registered trademark for the same term, depending on what the term is.

I would want to know what type of mark it is:

Is it a descriptive mark?
A suggestive mark?
An arbitrary mark?
A fanciful mark?
Is it otherwise a surname or a geographic term perhaps?

Another thing I would want to know is:

How long did the company have a trademark, or how long might they claim to have had a trademark, before they took the further step of registering the trademark?

Another extremely important thing I would want to know is:

What has the domain name been doing during the time I have registered it?

So, let's take one combination of those factors from your thoroughly under-determined question that might have all kinds of answers, and say it was a fanciful mark which they were using in the UK and abroad for five years before seeking to register the mark in Europe. Let's also assume that I registered the domain name last year and it resolves to nothing.

In those circumstances, it would be extremely difficult to explain why I registered a fanciful term that someone was using as a trademark for four years before I registered it, particularly since I have no actual use of the domain name which might help explain that. I would likely lose a UDRP.

Let's take another combination of those factors from your thoroughly under-determined question and say that it is an arbitrary mark which they just starting using last week, and I have had the domain name resolving to a PPC page consistent with the dictionary meaning of the word.

In those circumstances, it would be very simple to argue that (a) I have legitimate rights in the use of a dictionary meaning for purposes consistent with that meaning and (b) I could not have registered the domain name in bad faith relative to a trademark that did not exist at the time.

I would still be sad, though, since the potential market for my domain name has been reduced by the fact that buyers may be deterred by the existence of the trademark.

biix