IT.COM

How do you stop spam emails from DomainsByProxy??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alien51

Take Me To Your LeaderTop Member
Impact
This is my first time to use DomainsByProxy from Godaddy, and i am being bombarded by tons upon megatons of spam emails from domainer scumbags.

The spam email goes something like this:

"I see that you own ExoticToilet.com, a domain similar to yours SepticTank.com is about to expire at Godaddy. If you want, we can get this domain for you so you can have all the sh*t in your domain collection. Click the link below. Hurry, this is a limited offer."

My problem with DomainsByProxy, it uses your domain name as the username for the proxy email address. So, your displayed registrant email becomes: [email protected]. So what the scumbag human bot does is get all the expiring domains at Godaddy, then let the software substitute all the harvested domain names that are similar to the expiring one, then simply adding "@domainsbyproxy.com"... and voila, you get spammed without much effort.

This is unlike with WhoisGuard used by Namecheap, where your registrant email is some random characters you can change anytime you want.

With DomainsByProxy, there seems to be no way of changing this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am also receiving piles of spam email but in another manner, even though I am using DomainsByProxy. I own the .info version of a .com that is apparently prepped for sale. I have been getting at least daily emails for the past two weeks from some company explaining to me how to acquire it and the wonderful opportunity I have. After a few I clicked unsubscribe, however they have kept coming. I thought DomainsByProxy would help alleviate problems such as this. Since then I have very well considered actually deleting this domain because it is so annoying and have already removed private registration from most of my domains.

•••
Domins By Proxy doesn't block spam it just hides your identity. I don't use privacy and I get the same emails that alien51 describes.

Either block the sender or use the emails to your advantage. They are trying to find owners for names that they don't own yet. Every now and again they send a pretty decent domain that is due to expire. Don't show interest, they will pass on the name and you can pick it up.

•••
Looks like Domains by Proxy "private registration" is not very "private" at all...

An add-on i don't use, and waste of money IMO.

•••
I have encountered the similar spam issue as well. They don't bother me so much, because as Mike has mentioned, I've also acted on a couple of them by picking up the domains myself, when I would otherwise not have known about them.

In general, Domainsbyproxy doesn't seem to get very good grades - if you search around enough, the main issue isn't so much the spam, but the fact that it seems any complaint whatsoever, and GoDaddy will be the first to revoke the privacy from your domain without so much as a warning.

•••
There is an option to turn off the email forwarding feature within domains by proxy.

•••
After a few I clicked unsubscribe, however they have kept coming.
I have read in the past that clicking on "unsubscribe" is almost always a mortal sin. Because this would prove to the scammer that you actually exist, and they will keep your email add permanent in their archives.

have already removed private registration from most of my domains.
Without private registration though, your registrant email will surely be harvested by spammers. You'll end up ditching it sometime in the future, and keep creating new ones. Hard to manage if you have plenty of domains.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

An add-on i don't use, and waste of money IMO.
I never pay for private registration though, it comes free at Godaddy for 5 domain purchases and above.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

There is an option to turn off the email forwarding feature within domains by proxy.
Unfortunately, legit emails will also be blocked if you switch it off.

•••
alien51 said:
I never pay for private registration though, it comes free at Godaddy for 5 domain purchases and above.

So what do you at renewal, when you have to pay for the privacy? If you transfer the domain out, do you add their privacy? If so, then why not just register it there in the first place?

I think Dynadot, Name, NameCheap all have pretty good privacy deals. Much cheaper than Godaddy. As a domainer I prefer Dynadot's where I can point any domain to my For Sale Website, whilst maintaining the privacy of my address and email. See the whois for DNLP.COM as an example. You can control all the text before the c/o Dynadot Privacy. They only send you the important emails like Offers or Cease & Desist letters. Being a SuperBulk Customer I get it for free, but it's a reasonable $2 to others.

I like Dynadot as a registrar as well. They also have a version of eNom's Magic Folders (where you can define certain attributes like DNS, Whois Details, locking, to all domains in a folder), which are far superior to GoDaddy's Preset Profiles. They have also been responsive to requests for changes, although obviously we don't always see eye-to-eye that the change is needed or important. They have been the most responsive of all Registrars I've used in this regard.

Last edited:
•••
So what do you at renewal, when you have to pay for the privacy?
I never pay renewal fees. I transfer out. Transfers are cheaper than renewals (registrars give out more promo codes for transfers or they make transfers cheaper to attract you, compared to renewal coupons). And i almost always transfer to registrars that offer free privacy for transfers, like Namecheap, Name (using code), and Netfirms. I usually just rotate them around.

If you transfer the domain out, do you add their privacy? If so, then why not just register it there in the first place?
Nearly all of my domains at Godaddy were regged using 1-dollar/2-dollar coupons. Then i just 2 more domains for 8 bucks then i get DomainsByProxy for free. After 1 year, i rotate them again to say Namecheap and get free privacy again. And so on.

I don't do bulk.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back