NameSilo

How do you accept money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
When selling a domain to someone, what forms of payment do you accept and why? Do you accept PayPal, checks, money orders, wire transfers, ACH Transfers, etc. ? Are these for small amounts of money or large amounts of money? I would like to get a feel for how things work when money is being transferred.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I accept Paypal for low value transfers: eg. anything up to $1000 (I haven't sold anything that high before though).

Anything higher and domainers usually use some type of escrow service like Escrow.com for example.

They act as a third party in between. Escrow.com charges fees for the service. You can usually make the buyer pay all the fees or split the fees 50/50.

Skinny

•••
If the buyer and me the seller sort of trust each other, up to 10K I am using Paypal directly unless the buyer looks a bit suspicious.

•••
Like what Skinny has mentioned, I think Paypal and Escrow.com are the most commonly used platform for payment for domain.

•••
Absolutely paypal, although it can be dodgy if your doing big amounts as said before.

•••
Aren't there any problems with paypal with large sums? I have heard so many stories and so mostly prefer bank wires in anything more than $750.

•••
i think its good to do paypal for lower amounts of money but its not safe for transactions involving large sums.

•••
I have usually requested wire transfer into an account that I use only for internet deals. I require half wires to me and I then create a sub-account in my eNom account in their name and send them an email copy of the whois.
After they wire me the second half and I REMOVE IT FROM MY ACCOUNT <<<<<< very important as anyone that wires in can try to cancel and reverse, I then email them the passwords and request that they change them.
My largest sale in this way has been 2,800. to date however, I am negotiating with acompany who wants to buy two domians ( a singular and plural .com ) for $ 20,000. each and they have agreed to do it in this same manner. They are a US company and I am thinking about traveling to their office or requesting a face to face transfer in mine due to the total price.
Good luck,
Enterpryzman

•••
What about Moneybookers? Are they good for this purpose? They also offer escrow payments.

•••
PayPal always.its easy :d

•••
Try send me some money, I will tell you how.

•••
Escrow.com usually. I would rather pay the Escrow fees than risk losing all the money.

Brad

•••
Aren't there any problems with paypal with large sums? I have heard so many stories and so mostly prefer bank wires in anything more than $750.

I have taken $7500 through Paypal before. All about the buyer really. If I don't trust them I'll make them use Escrow.com even if it's only a few hundred dollars and others I would take any amount as it depends on who you are dealing with. When in doubt Escrow.com

•••
We will take checks, but no one seems to want to send them and wait for them to clear. So most have been with PayPal and a few with Escrow.com. Since I have the domain and will not turn it over until after I am SURE I have the money, I don't need to use an Escrow service and I ask the buyer to pay the fees.

If you have a company web site and other things for a buyer to check and verify who you are, you should be able to work as I do. If you are not established as a company, then you may need to use Escrow to get the buyer to trust you.

GREAT POST by enterpryzman above! You need to do things that allow the buyer to trust you, but you also need to protect yourself from people that are not honest or possible misunderstandings.

•••
I myself like to work with either paypal or wire transfers. No goofing around with 'check is in the mail' thing.

•••
I wouldn't use Paypal for selling. There are a lot of scams with paypal and domain selling. Google it.

•••
I wouldn't use Paypal for selling. There are a lot of scams with paypal and domain selling. Google it.

As with anything on the internet you just need to be careful, nothing wrong with using paypal if you know the in's and out's.

•••
I use paypal and epassporte, as well as escrow.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back