Dynadot

question How do trademark disputes work?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Truespin Domains

Top Member
Impact
Say I buy a domain like Tutiopi.com (just made that up).

If it just so happens that there is already a company that trades under that name, can they simply sue me and get the name for free?

I'd always assumed you had to be doing something nefarious with the domain, or buying domains that were clearly related to a well known international brand - EG Toyota.com etc.

But from what I've read it seems like even some dickhead that runs a shop with the same name can technically sue you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
That's what I mean. Under the trademark law I'm aware of organisations can technically have the same name provided they are not operating in the same market. EG A farmer could legitally call his company Apple because there's no chance anyone is going to confuse him with Apple the international hardware software company

But there seem to be a few examples where domains have been seized simply because they share the same name?

•••
There are sometimes many factors in play. Best to read up on this subject and study more and you'll see.

•••
•••
Back