NameSilo

How do I set-up my Forum with my New Domain??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Alright.

So I just bought a .(dot)com domain, but now what do I do to set it up with my forum??

I'm stuck, and desperately want help!! Thank you in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what forum software are you planning to use? is your domain hosted already?

•••
Read the readme/installation included with whatever forum software you are using and go from there...if you have specific questions regarding the installation, fire away

•••
bentong said:
what forum software are you planning to use? is your domain hosted already?
No, my domain is not already hosted? What do I have to do to host it?

•••
1) Find a webhost
2) Download your forum package
3) Follow the installation/readme file included

If you have specific questions...feel free to ask them...

•••
Where's a good place to find a webhost?

•••
What I would do is read around here - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Find a host in there with good reviews and do more searching in those forums for that host. You can also ask here at NamePros to see if anybody else has experience with the hosts you are looking into.

•••
•••
•••
Del540 said:
I'd prefer free, but what are the benefits of paid hosting?
A free host has no obligation to provide a quality service to you. A quality paid host, on the other hand, will save you many headaches (like minimizing the amount of time your forum is down).

•••
Get a host with cpanel and fantastico, use phpbb to cut your teeth.

Or pay someone like me or others here on this forum to do it. Many of us can host, skin, and install phpbb for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
•••
If you have the funds to do so, hosting is definitely the first place they should go. If you have absolutely no money to spend, then you will obviously need to find a free host - but if you do have a money (only a little bit), find a paid host. Hosting these days is very cheap...especially for small websites. You can find a quality host who will provide everything you need for less than $5/month - easy

•••
well i 've seen some free webhosts which are better than some paid webhosts

try http://www.zeeblo.com

they have cpanel/fantastico hosting

also if you need help installing the phpbb i can do it for a reasonable price :)

•••
smub said:
well i 've seen some free webhosts which are better than some paid webhosts

Of course, but I promise there are far more paid hosts out there that are better than free hosts ;)

The moral of the story is typically "you get what you pay for" - This is not always the story of course, but is often the case.

•••
Pay for hosting. Don't listen to anyone about free hosting, paid hosting is always better and you know you have no obligations to the host except to make your monthly payment. Paying is paying for peace of mind. When it's free the host can just delete your account and make up an excuse, with a paid host they can delete your account but they have to make up a better excuse. Also with a paid host you can ask them questions and they will possibly setup your forum for free. If you have a CPanel/Direct Admin host, you can use Fantastico or Installatron and install your forum with a few clicks and very little actual effort.

•••
paid is better. volo networks can provide 500mb space and 5GB bandwidth for 2.99/mo.

we also have a special that is double those specs, for the same price for 3 months.

good luck

•••
•••
You should of just use the hosted forums like invisionfree.com or other hosted forums, but seems you already did your forum, its too late.

•••
I recently switched to DreamHost. Very happy with everything so far. I paid something like $9 for my first YEAR of hosting. Look around for the coupons. They offer a one-click install of phpBB, so you can have a forum up and running in minutes. Not only is the first year of hosting dirt cheap, but they have a 3 month money-back guarantee. Might not be a bad way to cut your teeth risk-free.

There have been some accusations that DreamHost is over-selling, and promising more than what they can realistically deliver. But for my purposes, and for yours, it doesn't seem like much of a concern. You can read more here:

http://www.namepros.com/web-hosting-discussion/155137-dreamhost.html?highlight=dreamhost

•••
In CPANEL you should add your new domain

•••
scratchy said:
I recently switched to DreamHost. Very happy with everything so far. I paid something like $9 for my first YEAR of hosting. Look around for the coupons. They offer a one-click install of phpBB, so you can have a forum up and running in minutes. Not only is the first year of hosting dirt cheap, but they have a 3 month money-back guarantee. Might not be a bad way to cut your teeth risk-free.

There have been some accusations that DreamHost is over-selling, and promising more than what they can realistically deliver. But for my purposes, and for yours, it doesn't seem like much of a concern. You can read more here:

http://www.namepros.com/web-hosting-discussion/155137-dreamhost.html?highlight=dreamhost

Did you say $9 for one year? or month???

•••
•••
there is no such thing as
1) long term
2) no ads
3) no extra work (sometimes posting)
4) no charge

•••
Thank you for all the help, but for now I just decided to forward the domain to my forum. I'll look into better hosting in the near future!

•••
forums take a great deal of time to maintain. Be prepared to spend countless hours in not only preparing it, but maintaining it as well.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back