Domain Empire

question How do end users find names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I can see Sedo has search functionality. So as an example, let's say an architectural company wants to find a name with architect in it. They can go to Sedo search and search for domains with that term. Whether they know of Sedo is another issue - but at least it exists. https://sedo.com/search/?language=us&keyword=architect

On Dan/Afternic/GoDaddy - is there any way for an end user to search for names with a keyword? The only search functionality I can find on GD is to type a keyword; e.g., "architect" and it shows TLDs with that specific keyword. But it doesn't show coolarchitect.com, hiparchitect.com, etc, like it does on Sedo. Is there any way for end users to search terms with a keyword in them (like on Sedo)?

Or do they have to come up with the names on their own and type them in?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
do they have to come up with the names on their own and type them in?
Hi

i would think many come up with the name on their own,
then the search leads to a sales lander or ppc page where they can make offer.

some sales on sedo originate thru their mls partners and same could be said for on gd/afternic/dan mls, where a buyer used a participating registrar and finds the name they want.

imo...

•••
Most brainstorm names and type them in to see what they are, or they search them at registry to see if they are available/for sale.

•••
Even in Dan & GD suggested names are shown. But they show up after keyword.other TLD. You have to scroll down to see them.
Ex:
Architect.tld1
Architect.tld2
XxArchitect.com

In sedo, you will see more suggested names in .Com prior to keyword.other TLD are shown.

•••
Even in Dan & GD suggested names are shown. But they show up after keyword.other TLD. You have to scroll down to see them.
Ex:
Architect.tld1
Architect.tld2
XxArchitect.com

In sedo, you will see more suggested names in .Com prior to keyword.other TLD are shown.

Ok, so there is no easy way for end users to find a name. For example, on SquadHelp, end users can search for keywords and see all sorts of ideas. But for GoDaddy - it is very hard to search for ideas... you either must know the exact name you want - or you have to know to scroll way down and then hope you like one of the few choices shown. tbh, with limited search ability like this - it's no wonder it takes years and patience to sell a name (we have to wait until someone else brainstorms the same idea).

•••
. tbh, with limited search ability like this - it's no wonder it takes years and patience to sell a name (we have to wait until someone else brainstorms the same idea).
But GD leads the sales. May be because more buyers go there first to search for a name and/or maybe buyers are not looking for other ideas but just what keyword they are searching for.

•••
Sedo is great for an end user, but terrible for a domainer. The end user has too many options though the keyword search function n terms of names and prices..

Last edited:
•••
This year, I switched most of my listings to Dynadot landers to try and save some money on commissions. My sales continue to come almost exclusively through Afternic, which leads me to believe that my sales are generally attributed to someone who enters the name in a search at GoDaddy or one of their registrar partners and checks out through there. I will give it a few more months, but I will probably switch back to Afternic landers to avoid that commission hit.

•••
This year, I switched most of my listings to Dynadot landers to try and save some money on commissions. My sales continue to come almost exclusively through Afternic, which leads me to believe that my sales are generally attributed to someone who enters the name in a search at GoDaddy or one of their registrar partners and checks out through there. I will give it a few more months, but I will probably switch back to Afternic landers to avoid that commission hit.
AN and Dynadot are day and night. Only domainers know Dynadot.

•••
I agree. I've been at this for 10+ year and over 50% of my sales come from GD (and related sites). Therefore, it appears most sales come from end users who have the same idea as me - and type in the name directly.

It just feels to me that there is a segment of end users that may want a name - but not know (or not want to take the time) to come up with a name and would prefer to search a keyword. And that sort of functionality doesn't exist (or is extremely limited/hidden). Waiting for and end user to have the same idea as me takes years and patience. It is my belief with the proper search tools - the process could be sped up.

To mitigate this issue I've recently begun adding names to BrandBucket and SquadHelp where possible. They have better search functionality although their sites are packed with so many names it may be that even with the search functionality it won't matter.

As for Dynadot landers - I use them, but only for names registered at Dynadot. I didn't realize you could use their landers for names registered elsewhere. I prefer Dan landers for just the reason you described... they allow descriptions yet I don't have to take a GD commission hit. I still get most of my sales via the GD type in path though (but perhaps someone saw the landing page and then typed in the name to buy).

•••
Ok, so there is no easy way for end users to find a name.
Hi

there is an easy way, but you have to accept how they do it, instead of how you would like it to be done.

Waiting for and end user to have the same idea as me takes years and patience. It is my belief with the proper search tools - the process could be sped up.
Hi

if it takes years waiting for the "right buyer", then how can you speed up that process?
as is, there aren't that many end-users buying domains every single day, as majority of sales are domainer driven.

when it comes to end-users, you can't put all the pieces together needed for that particular buyer to be in position to begin a domain search.
that in itself, takes time.

a seller can only recognize that they made a good choice when they acquired the domain and held it long enough to get the highest roi.
still, probably best way to get more sales in a shorter time frame, is to have more domains that appeal to the broadest audiences, that are priced to move.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Hi

there is an easy way, but you have to accept how they do it, instead of how you would like it to be done.

I don't see any way - not just the way I want it done. I have gone to GoDaddy and typed in the name architect. And it is not at all obvious there is any way for me, as a buyer, to find anything other than architect.TLD

Scrolling down and down and down, is not going to be completed by most. Just ask those that market on Google. Top 3 or your clicks are very low.

•••
I am pretty sure most people search on GoDaddy and just buys the name there. Maybe domain name generators to get some ideas but they still go back to GoDaddy to see availability and price

•••
I am pretty sure most people search on GoDaddy and just buys the name there. Maybe domain name generators to get some ideas but they still go back to GoDaddy to see availability and price

I agree. That appears how it is done. And that is sort of my complaint. It means, they have to come up with the unique name we came up with. I believe there is a market for end users who know what type of name they want, but not exactly. So they are an architectural firm and want the word architects in it - but don't know they want AppleArchitects (for example). And there is no way for them to easily find it.

•••
. So they are an architectural firm and want the word architects in it - but don't know they want AppleArchitects (for example). And there is no way for them to easily find it.
AI search tab will take care of that.

•••
With extensive research this is not the case

Hi

i would think many come up with the name on their own,
then the search leads to a sales lander or ppc page where they can make offer.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
So they are an architectural firm and want the word architects in it - but don't know they want AppleArchitects (for example).
Hi

why couldn't they use something simple like > ie: "JRarchitects.com", which represents the initials of the owners?
many firms use proper names as the domain or part of it.

imo...

•••
This is an important topic, and thank you for starting it @Sperry8.

A number of years ago I summarized some of the many ways that people can find your names in this article.
https://www.namepros.com/blog/the-many-ways-people-might-discover-your-domain-name.1196876/

I think which are important depends a lot on the type of name. If you have a generic or service/product match name, as long as they can reach you through a lander or Whois it may not make much difference, although a marketplace and registration stream has to held the sell-through rate.

For a made-up brandable name the odds of someone independently coming up with exactly the name and getting to a lander are low, so you need to visibility of being on a brandable marketplace, or on a standard one if it has good and smart search, and if there is an anchor word that might be searched for.

Despite their protestations about only 1% of sales come that way, I can't help but think that abandoning search at Afternic will not have a big impact on them, and on those of us who sell there.

Let's say I have a name EXAMPLE in a middling TLD like .cc or .me. In the old Afternic search, if somesone searched on Afternic these options would show on page 1. Even if the buyer had come in thinking they wanted the .com or .io, they would see the other options right there.

Also, with GoDaddy search matches across the dot are never shown unless the dot is included and whole name given, or unless the name is available as a hand registration. These aftermarket match type names have at one swoosh of the corporate decision making become essentially impossible to find in GD/Afternic.

-Bob

•••
I agree. That appears how it is done. And that is sort of my complaint. It means, they have to come up with the unique name we came up with. I believe there is a market for end users who know what type of name they want, but not exactly. So they are an architectural firm and want the word architects in it - but don't know they want AppleArchitects (for example). And there is no way for them to easily find it.

You’re describing brandable marketplaces like Atom and BrandBucket 😉

Last edited:
•••
So pity but GD is killing Afternic now.
Afternic search was great for sellers and buyers.
But Godaddy terminated it.
The best domain search that I saw realized at Atom marketplace

Last edited:
•••
You’re describing brandable marketplaces like Atom and BrandBucket 😉

Yes, that's exactly what I'm describing. I get many names listed on Atom and BB to market as described. However, there are 2 issues. One, not all names get chosen to be listed on those platforms. And there are 2 types I'm left with after being denied on both (fully brandable names without an anchor keyword) which become almost worthless when not chosen (which is fine - just saying). And words with an anchor keyword in them (like the architecture example). Since both those marketplaces are for brandables they generally choose names that are more generic (not JRArchitects) as @biggie described above. So if I hold JRArchitects (or anything really... HippyArchitects, etc), and it's not chosen - it is very difficult for an end user to find (unless they come up with the exact same name). They may, but it can take many years.

I believe there is a marketplace for end users who don't know they want HippyArchitects until they see it (and most of the names like this will not be chosen for Atom or BB). GD could make this so easy by offering search functionality similar to Sedo (which most people don't know of). But of course GD is in the business of selling hand regs and not aftermarket sales. @Bob Hawkes I agree, GD has directed it's marketing intentionally - although it is weird to me since they make commission on aftermarket sales. That is to say, they could so easily offer a way to allow end users some search for aftermarket names - and since they make commission it's in their best interest to do so.

•••
This is an important topic, and thank you for starting it @Sperry8.

A number of years ago I summarized some of the many ways that people can find your names in this article.
https://www.namepros.com/blog/the-many-ways-people-might-discover-your-domain-name.1196876/

I think which are important depends a lot on the type of name. If you have a generic or service/product match name, as long as they can reach you through a lander or Whois it may not make much difference, although a marketplace and registration stream has to held the sell-through rate.

For a made-up brandable name the odds of someone independently coming up with exactly the name and getting to a lander are low, so you need to visibility of being on a brandable marketplace, or on a standard one if it has good and smart search, and if there is an anchor word that might be searched for.

Despite their protestations about only 1% of sales come that way, I can't help but think that abandoning search at Afternic will not have a big impact on them, and on those of us who sell there.

Let's say I have a name EXAMPLE in a middling TLD like .cc or .me. In the old Afternic search, if somesone searched on Afternic these options would show on page 1. Even if the buyer had come in thinking they wanted the .com or .io, they would see the other options right there.

Also, with GoDaddy search matches across the dot are never shown unless the dot is included and whole name given, or unless the name is available as a hand registration. These aftermarket match type names have at one swoosh of the corporate decision making become essentially impossible to find in GD/Afternic.

-Bob

I just found on your old blog post this:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...d=1t:200715&ictx=111&biw=1152&bih=629&dpr=2.5

It's a very cool way to find/search for Architect names - although not sure many end users know about it. Would be great if Atom and BrandBucket could expand to the google searches (outside the shopping tab)

•••
Yes, that's exactly what I'm describing. I get many names listed on Atom and BB to market as described. However, there are 2 issues. One, not all names get chosen to be listed on those platforms. And there are 2 types I'm left with after being denied on both (fully brandable names without an anchor keyword) which become almost worthless when not chosen (which is fine - just saying). And words with an anchor keyword in them (like the architecture example). Since both those marketplaces are for brandables they generally choose names that are more generic (not JRArchitects) as @biggie described above. So if I hold JRArchitects (or anything really... HippyArchitects, etc), and it's not chosen - it is very difficult for an end user to find (unless they come up with the exact same name). They may, but it can take many years.

I believe there is a marketplace for end users who don't know they want HippyArchitects until they see it (and most of the names like this will not be chosen for Atom or BB). GD could make this so easy by offering search functionality similar to Sedo (which most people don't know of). But of course GD is in the business of selling hand regs and not aftermarket sales. @Bob Hawkes I agree, GD has directed it's marketing intentionally - although it is weird to me since they make commission on aftermarket sales. That is to say, they could so easily offer a way to allow end users some search for aftermarket names - and since they make commission it's in their best interest to do so.

Maybe you need to create your own marketplace for these names. If you believe they just need to get in front of end users then whip up a landing page and start bidding on keywords.

But I suspect you’ll have a much easier time domain investing if you buy the types of names other people are already buying.

•••
Maybe you need to create your own marketplace for these names. If you believe they just need to get in front of end users then whip up a landing page and start bidding on keywords.

But I suspect you’ll have a much easier time domain investing if you buy the types of names other people are already buying.

That is likely all true. But if we all followed that advice there would be an unserved market. How can end users find brandables then? In the world you painted, they'd have to make them up themselves (if they weren't listed on BB or Atom already). Another unserved market would be services. An architect may not be creative enough to come up with an interesting name. But he may know it when he sees it. How does Etsy name itself? Did they find that name or create it? Even if they created it - others search for it and find it (already made).

You are also missing huge segments of what is bought and sold with your position. 4L names are big business, but how does one search for them? In your world, you can't own em since a user doesn't know it wants "etsy" til it sees it.

Last edited:
•••
That is likely all true. But if we all followed that advice there would be an unserved market. How can end users find brandables then? In the world you painted, they'd have to make them up themselves (if they weren't listed on BB or Atom already). Another unserved market would be services. An architect may not be creative enough to come up with an interesting name. But he may know it when he sees it. How does Etsy name itself? Did they find that name or create it? Even if they created it - others search for it and find it (already made).

You are also missing huge segments of what is bought and sold with your position. 4L names are big business, but how does one search for them? In your world, you can't own em since a user doesn't know it wants "etsy" til it sees it.

My position is based on data and how to make money. I have no concerns about creating a beautiful utopia where random brandables can be found, beyond what already exists. If you do by all means go for it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back