Dynadot

question How did Eth.link “make money”?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Seeing as how eth.link sold for $852,000 at auction why did someone pay so much? It has to be because it was developed.

I know some people create websites since it’s their passion and don’t care about money but part of me always thinks there’s a money angle.

So what was money angle for eth.link?

It seems the registry for .xyz also was developing this with eth.xyz.

So this guy Virgil Griffith. How did he plan on making money with eth.link by allowing people to create their own personal link to their .eth domain?

Was he going to charge them a fee to use his eth.link urls?

Is there a marketing self promotion deal with ens domains?

Reason I ask is I own an Eth.(whatever) domain and since this auction ended with $852k I’ve been getting a ton of inquiries on Afternic and Dan.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what the hell does yer name have to do with this sale or extension. I mean it's basically not good.or sellable

•••
Whoa whoa whoa Alcy what’s up man. What’s with the tone! It’s just a question. The constant inquiries on Dan and Afternic soon after this auction is a fair enough reason to ask no?

My main question is how would anyone who owns a eth.whatever replicate eth.link and for what purpose if not to make money?

The other reason I ask is because I can’t see how a company can make money just by providing a name resolving solution like eth.link .

Also, I wasn’t necessarily trying to sell my domain. I was wondering how I can make money by providing the same service as eth.link via my eth.whatever.

Eth.link isn’t the only eth.whatever providing this service. Eth.xyz is also doing it.

Have a nice day Alcy.

•••
its not a tone..its an opinion. let's all stop taking it personal it's just domains not our nose sizes cheere

•••
It's anyone's guess. NFT dot LINK, another one for sale via DAN, as of today. Crypto is a juicy sector, but what I would say is something like "dot LINK" sounds pretty good, for a whole range of uses. Something dumb like "dot PIZZA", I wouldn't bank on it achieving anything close, to the one mentioned

Last edited:
•••
•••
I just can’t wait for the crypto hype to die. It’s distracting everyone from assets with real value. Other than ETH and Bitcoin Crypto is worthless and those two are worth maybe 10% of current value only as a digital currency.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back