NameSilo

How .contact is fairing so far

Labeled as question in gTLD Discussion, started by Neal Grayson, Jan 8, 2021

Replies:
Views:

?

Have you registered a .contact name? If so what?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2021.
  1. yay

7 votes
    35.0%
  2. nay

13 votes
    65.0%
Total: 20 vote(s)
  1. Neal Grayson

Neal Grayson Established Member

The newest ngTLD introduced to the market by Donuts is .contact. Released for General Availability on December 9, 2020, Donut was keen to notify potential registrants of premium and non-premium names. Here, we’ll take a look at how many of those names are currently registered now that’s it’s past general availability.

Out of 53 premium names included in the list...read more here.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Many of these ngTLDs are utilitarian rather than investment opportunities. I can see insertbrandhere.contact as a link to the contact info at insertbrandhere.com/contact. The question is whether people will understand what insertbrandhere.contact actually means when they see it on collateral. In other words, will they understand it is a website address.

3. twiki

twiki Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

I see this very differently, and definitely not limited to brands. (Edit: specifically about .contact)

If someone is paying top dollar for something like accounting.xyz or similar (and yes they do), then accounting.contact is a far better name.

Edit: Reason: easy to understand and to remember.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  4. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

Never even heard of that extension, too long, and not much use for it other than a URL shortener for a contact page which I doubt companies will bother doing.

5. twiki

You haven't heard of it because it was just launched these days.

6. Neal Grayson

Yes, but it should be noted that before .com, .org, or .net was introduced that people entered IP addresses. That was a learning curve, similar to how it is now for ngtlds today. It only takes one major b2c company to kickstart things.

7. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I remember the days before domains were the thing. Back in the early 1990's many business sites were on the hosting provider's sub-directory like hostingproviderhere.com/~somename.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  8. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Investor & Creator VIP

Yes general availability was a month ago but it was delegated half a decade ago.

9. Mytz.com

Mytz.com Top 4L [email protected] ieie.com CuTu.com NeSu.com QAMI.com PRO VIP Gold Account

10. Neal Grayson

Can you elaborate on what you mean by delegated?

11. twiki

12. Neal Grayson

13. Makbliss

Makbliss Cancer Survivor, domain and crypto enthusiasts VIP Gold Account

You just never know. I mean, how many domains, regardless of the extension, do we all see practically daily sell for crazy amounts, domains 99% of us wouldn't pay hand reg price for? Quite a few IMO.

I'm a gambler, if I can get some solid, premium domains of any new extension without paying more than public registration fee, I'll play. I did this with the .vc promo and am up $1,000 on my $600 investment for about 140 premium .vc's from just 2 sales, so still have over 130.

Here's the .contact domains I registered, been getting decent traffic, just switched all to BIN to experiment for a little bit.

Any opinions on my .contacts welcome.

Cheers,
    Mike Screenshot_2021-01-09 Portfolio DAN COM(1).png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice