Domain Empire

How come 'hyphen' may add any value ???

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
I just registered "Global-News.info" (because no other TLD was available with or without hyphen.) Without hyphen i.e. "GlobalNews" (within quotes) gives 13,800 entries at Google whereas "Global-News" (within quotes) gives more than 800,000 entries ?
Hyphens kill domain names half the way that I know, but what to say about these results at Google ??? How come this may happen ??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is true, IMHO ... that hyphens can work within strategic S/E placement, if that is it's sole purpose for use.
You'll find more search results for the hyphenated (or with a space between the two terms) on Google because it is searching for both terms ... "Global" -and- "News".
In most cases, practical use of the domain name for branding, marketing, company image and use will be with the non-hyphenated. Imagine an ad on the radio with a hyphenated domain name, that type of thing.
B-)

•••
Hyphen is good for SEO.
But most typeins are without hyphens.

•••
Yes, hyphens work because the keywords in the domain are counted as seperate keywords.. for example if I had a domain like:

key1-key2-key3.com

Keywords could be counted as key1 key2 or key1 key3 or key2 key3 - makes sense right?

another benefit is that when people link to you and you have a domain like: white-Towels.com they will typically link you as "white towels" which counts high for a ancor incoming link.

the negatives are that the values of these names are a lot less.
and all the work you invest in marketing in these type of names could evenually be worthless by google. So all the time spent building could be gone in a day. I assure you google is aware of these tricks.

hope that helps guys.

•••
Absolutley right identity.
The best is to register with hyphen and without, for seo and typeins :D

•••
Hyphens are bad for developed sites.

•••
I would personally register hyphen domains and use them for SEO.

•••
Great feed back... great learning!!... Thanks a lot.

•••
But, on ovt its the other way round :)

•••
Yea, hypens are bad for developed names, but not always, they could help out sometimes, but I don't visit any domains that have hypens, or haven't yet anyway.

•••
So, ..... What's the conclusion !!??? You Pals..???

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back