Dynadot

question How can domains be stolen? Submit ways or Experience or if you've done it (lol)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I've read many threads on here about domains being stolen. And it always makes me wonder HOW? Seems impossible. Perhaps the more we talk about it the more we can protect ourselves from it.

so I thought why not start a "How do domains get stolen?" Thread.

That way we have one thread that can be reference instead of scattered "stolen" stories here and there. Hopefully people will contribute their experience. and even better. if someone is cocky enough and using a fake NP account they will share. ( I know most people who have done bad things love to "show off" how they did it. It's no fun unless people know you got away with it. I've seen documentaries on TV where they block the person's face and voice to hide their identity. I bet one of these criminals is bold enough to come here and expose to us the "tools of the trade" and how it's done. Let's see!)

So you will be first?

and criminals? come here and brag if you dare.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I found Domain Punch Pro suited my needs.

I saw this a while back, thought it was only for Windows. Turns out, it's not ;) Thanks.

•••
•••
What he is saying is that sometimes people trust their web designers to reg their domains for them.

Sometimes when they do this they put the reg information in their own name and use their own email address.

Down the road, when there could be a falling out between you and your web designer, he will have control of your domain name and will effectively own it.

Yep! Back in early 2000s, I partnered with a guy (I'll call him Larry) who managed hosting and I did web design. We partnered up in my city to provide services to local businesses. He would register the domains for the clients and they were in his own name. Everything was fine for years.

Now keep in mind he wasn't trying to scam anybody and there was no fall out but his next actions made things difficult. Larry decided he was done with hosting. I took over the hosting. Fast forward a few years and Client A's domain name expires. They have no idea how to renew it. I did a whois. Details are still in Larry's name.

We called Larry, tried every method to contact him but he just wasn't cooperating and wanted nothing to do with helping us. Meanwhile, nobody could order products off Client A's website.

Luckily, after jumping through numerous hooks and red tape, we finally got the client's domain back after a couple weeks.

Domain details and control should NEVER be in anyone's name but the client's.

•••
I don't think it's a great idea to provide a how-to guide for would-be domain thieves.

As a domain owner, your best protection against domain theft is to keep your contacts up-to-date, keep your registrar username and passwords secure, enable two-factor authentication at your registrar whenever available, and protect your email accounts. Be careful of phishing attempts and weary of any requests you get to update your domain contact information or authorize transfers to other registrars.

Ignoring any of these steps can lead to a thief gaining control of your domain.

How is this a how-to guide??

There is nothing here that would help someone steal a domain!!!

There is, however a lot of useful info about how to prevent that from happening!!!

•••
How is this a how-to guide??

There is nothing here that would help someone steal a domain!!!

There is, however a lot of useful info about how to prevent that from happening!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't think it's a great idea to provide a how-to guide for would-be domain thieves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RJ posted very early in the thread (post #4) and I believe he was hoping to be sure it didn't turn into a "how to guide".
And it didn't. :)

You are correct, this has turned into a very helpful thread.
Lets keep it going.

Peace,
Cyberian

Last edited:
•••
Care to explain?

What sirlordcomic meant (from my understanding) and I agreed with is your post is 100% right...we don't need a thread about how to steal domain names...and what you listed to prevent it is all that needs to be posted. The OP starts wild thread after wild thread...and now his intention with this thread was to list the methods people use to steal domain names...which we definitely don't want a how-to-guide of how to steal domains on here. Which is what I argued with the OP about before and what sirlordcomic reported the OP for.

•••
and what you listed to prevent it is all that needs to be posted

I respectfully disagree.

Also, if someone wants to steal a domain they don't need this thread to do it.

•••
Even to this day, Phishing is the major source for digital theft. Phishing may be the major driver behind the domain thefts.

•••
I respectfully disagree.

So if making a comprehensive list/thread about how to protect names isn't enough, care to tell us what else needs to be posted? A how to guide on how to steal them perhaps? Maybe live examples of people walking us step-by-step through their hacking attempts? Or what else do we need to add?

•••
So if making a comprehensive list/thread about how to protect names isn't enough, care to tell us what else needs to be posted? A how to guide on how to steal them perhaps? Maybe live examples of people walking us step-by-step through their hacking attempts? Or what else do we need to add?

??

•••
Even to this day, Phishing is the major source for

digital theft. Phishing may be the major driver behind the domain thefts.

coincidentally just yesterday I got an email that passed my spam filter. I think since I get tons of Linkedin alerts via email. my spam filter let this one slide.

it was pretty slick. the email was from

[email protected]

WOW! tell me you wouldn't miss that one!

I almost did. luckily I remembered creating this thread and looked closer and WOW! Linkedlin.com

daaaaaaamn!!

even had linkedin logos in the email plus bogus users with photos that I almost clicked on.

dodged a bullet there but......I did open the email

so probably screwed already. sent the email to linked in and my email provider.

•••
dodged a bullet there but......I did open the email

If your email client has this setting, set it to only download the email headers.

This way you will only download messages you think are most likely OK and go from there.

Remember to always check the source code of your emails and never click on links in emails.

If you get an important looking email from your registrar, for example, do not use any links in the email to log in to your account or for any other purpose.

Always go to the site in your browser and login to see if the email was real and something that requires your attention.

•••
•••
•••
•••
You have to understand in 3rd world countries the internet has opened up options.

In some of these countries if they can steal say a 4L .com chip and sell it for $1500, that is a Years salary. What will the recourse be for these people, the domain is taken away from them.

Any information, is to much information.

The thieves have the advantage, as there is little recourse, yes the domain will most likely come back, but it's not an easy process.

•••
If your email client has this setting, set it to only download the email headers.

This way you will only download messages you think are most likely OK and go from there.

Remember to always check the source code of your emails and never click on links in emails.

If you get an important looking email from your registrar, for example, do not use any links in the email to log in to your account or for any other purpose.

Always go to the site in your browser and login to see if the email was real and something that requires your attention.

yea I think my email provider spam really messed up as I could see the entire message. logos and all. I know what you mean. since opening that email I changed passwords. very annoying. ran mcafee again and malwarebytes. hope that's enough. Think it's time to switch email providers.

•••
•••
yea I think my email provider spam really messed up as I could see the entire message. logos and all. I know what you mean. since opening that email I changed passwords. very annoying. ran mcafee again and malwarebytes. hope that's enough. Think it's time to switch email providers.

If you keep your domain related stuff linked to emails set just for that purpose, you will have less trouble.

By doing this you can disregard all emails except ones that come from your registrars directly.

Of course, vet these emails as well, because they could be spoofed too.

•••
umm is that a user? or a new EMO band? lol I don't get it.

I, for one, wouldn't expect you to get it. Try reading the posts a little harder and maybe one day you'll understand!

•••
I, for one, wouldn't expect you to get it. Try reading the posts a little harder and maybe one day you'll understand!

Chill, dude!

What's with all the hostility?

•••
Chill, dude!

What's with all the hostility?

Not hostile, just tired of dealing with a middle schooler. If you read over all of the posts of the OP, you'll see what I mean.

•••
QFT. Reported the OP.

I thought reporting was a private thing? how do you know this?

appreciate the heads up. but I really don't understand why.

The point of this thread is....

1. Transparency. I can only imagine after reading some of the "horror stories" on here about domains being stolen how many unreported stolen domains there actually are. who knows maybe some people are too embarrassed to admit it. especially when there are basic things you should know to protect yourself like not clicking on an email you don't know who the sender is?

I assume domainers are very busy people. some have jobs and do domaining part time as a hobby. so busy in fact that keeping under their radar things such as the "Basic" stuff you should pay attention to . to protect yourself and your domains from being stolen kinda takes a back seat to LIFE.

until of course that one day you let your guard down and WHAM! you get hacked or spoofed or phished or whatever and your domain gets stolen.

It's never a big deal until it is.

I personally think many domainers are too relaxed as are most people when it comes to online activities.

it's already been mentioned here someone got their domains stolen because they accessed their registrar via an internet cafe?

how many people do that and will admit it?

2. Some domains I suspect get stolen because people do not do the BASIC stuff that every domainer should be doing. that being said. posting the "ways" domains get stolen or a "how to" would be useful to all domainers to know how these criminals would steal their domains.

Imagine getting your domain stolen by techniques that were used since 1980?

if anything posting such outdated techniques here will limit their use as shining a spotlight on such techniques will make them "not useable" at least in theory.

and if you are domainer who has read this thread and still get your domain stolen?

well then.....you have no one else to blame but yourself. as this thread (hopefully) will show (thanks to all the contributors) exactly all the sneaky old and new ways criminals use to try to steal your domains.

I understand all this stuff should be Basic Domainer knowledge but we can't assume EVERYONE is an expert at this.

A wise man was once asked by a child.

"How do I become wise like you?"

Wise man : " That's easy my child. To become wise is easy. Always assume you know Nothing. Because no one knows Everything. So actually a Fool is just as wise as the wisest genius."

I'd rather be labeled a fool and assume I know nothing than act and self appoint myself the knower of everything.

imo

so please everyone. do share. don't let anyone here stop you.

as for retaliating. I've observed that NP will reprimand me for doing so along with the person I'm retaliating against with good reason. so I'll just let whoever hang themselves with their own posts. so I'm not wussing out here just don't want to give NP excuse to ban me here.

so keep on talking negative people. you won't get a response from me no more. as NP seems to protect you. but hey your posts only benefits this thread in thee end. making it Popular. lol

Last edited:
•••
Well this got controversial... haha. Here's my input:

I don't have a personal experience with a domain being hijacked (thankfully)!! I am a security freak at heart. I have 2-factor authentication on all of my accounts, and I use a different randomly generated password for each one. I have transfer lock on, and I never click any fake emails. I always make sure it's coming from an authentic email, and I go to the website instead of clicking a link. If I get an email from my "registrar" asking me to click something (even if it seems legit), I will go to the registrar's site directly to take care of it (if this is possible).

It's important to watch for WHOIS contact verification requests! My brother almost got bit by this. He owns a very valuable first+last .com domain and he transferred registrars (and yes - he meant to, it was not a mistake). He then wasn't looking at his inbox, and got about 4 emails from Namecheap requesting him to click a link to verify his contact info. He never did and came close to losing the domain. It was already in the suspension stage. It wasn't until he tried to visit it that he realized something was wrong. Always check your email!!

•••
Well this got controversial... haha. Here's my input:

I don't have a personal experience with a domain being hijacked (thankfully)!! I am a security freak at heart. I have 2-factor authentication on all of my accounts, and I use a different randomly generated password for each one. I have transfer lock on, and I never click any fake emails. I always make sure it's coming from an authentic email, and I go to the website instead of clicking a link. If I get an email from my "registrar" asking me to click something (even if it seems legit), I will go to the registrar's site directly to take care of it (if this is possible).

It's important to watch for WHOIS contact verification requests! My brother almost got bit by this. He owns a very valuable first+last .com domain and he transferred registrars (and yes - he meant to, it was not a mistake). He then wasn't looking at his inbox, and got about 4 emails from Namecheap requesting him to click a link to verify his contact info. He never did and came close to losing the domain. It was already in the suspension stage. It wasn't until he tried to visit it that he realized something was wrong. Always check your email!!

Yep, that's the way to do it!

By the way, NameCheap does their verifications by email and requires you to do it this way.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back