IT.COM

question How, at first glance, to recognize a quality domain name?

NameSilo
Watch

Emil K.

Established Member
Impact
The eternal question, from the top title, I think deserves one more discussion.

We, still inexperienced in this business, are often in a dilemma: do I buy this domain or not?

Nice-looking domains that we encounter in our searches, in most cases, are worth nothing, or negligible, as it usually appears in the end of story. For example, for domains: LoftedBarnCabins.com, JewelrySroreChicago.com, PlumberReno.com, PizzaMesa.com, KentuckyBrewery.com, etc., none of the potential buyers, to whom I sent emails, was interested.

Most experienced users claim that we can not rely on site-estimators (like Estibot), because they are machines with arbitrary criteria.

When we ask about the quality of certain domains that we have purchased, they say that they are "crappy" domains, with no additional explanation.

To be specific, I wonder: on the basis of which criteria to evaluate whether one of the domains, for example, from GD Closeouts, which is grammatically and spelling correctly, is eligible for purchase, and then for a lucrative resale?

I am aware that it is impossible to answer this question in general, but I would like to hear the criteria that the more experienced members suggest tu purchase something or not.

To be completely concrete, if I’m a plumber in Reno, I would have bought the PlumberReno.com domain without thinking, especially if I currently use something like that: BigBearPlumbingCompanyRenoNV.com. But potential buyers obviously do not think on that way.

What is the formula for success?

P.S. Please spare me from sarcastic and "witty" comments because it will not help me.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally, (I know lots do well with them) I dont do Geo. I had a hard time selling them - too much work for return for me. Still have some good ones like AtlantaCarDealer.com & MassachusettsMortgage.com - with little interest. But that doesn't mean you have to spend thousands for a return on your purchase - they just have to be good buys.

See my sig and check out all the free tools on AiSerp - get in the habit of checking if a name is blacklisted, indexed, taken in other extensions, etc. It forces you to slow down and evaluate aspects of the name. ***Like others have detailed, so I am not going to try and rephrase advise given by more experienced Domainiers. Many of them are the ones who gave & give me advise and I follow it everyday.

If you want to play in closeouts - you need to search a little harder - and look for the names the giants are not auto bot buying - the mainstays that they pack on by the thousands.

Look for the niche - are they actively grabbing all names with "coin" in it? Maybe but maybe their model doesn't cover Holo or Virtual or maybe Augmented or maybe Cana related or whatever? If you pick a couple/few categories it allows you to focus on the quality of that small subset - a manageable task and allows you to perfect the "pitch" for that target market.

If you want to play in "Brandables" very generic for longer names (12 < better but not absolute). Think easy real word combos that work for a retail cloth shop just as well as for an phone app.

But, here is where it gets tricky and others are warning about impulse buying... Short name are brandable and sell-able if good. Good is scarily objective and what I like doesn't necessarily sell worldwide. It's easy to see a name like Coinfqr.com and think thats short, has coin, and it's only 2 bad letters. Then you convince yourself that FQR has a meaning and it's valuable. Yeah, thats where the problems start. But if you came across something like WalletFox.com - you will likely make a few dollars. Or, a more relevant example - to your plumbing example, I found Just/Wiring / .com on closeout and I am much more comfortable selling that to an electrician than I would be Atlantaelectrician for example. Also, JustWiring.com could work for a computer tech, install company, manufacturer, electrician, or etc.

It's hard but if you can find a spot that you build a comfort level - then that "gut feeling" that many have referenced becomes a better informed gut - than you start to shake your head at some of the names people will try to sell you via a pm... hahahaha

Hope that all made some sense,

Brian

•••
i want to know what i check when u first see the domain is it backlinks, google search, DA or PA, age or something how many similar sites on that name?
any free tools to check

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back