Hover.com sells .ca in USD!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
www.hover.com

I type in a .ca domain and price is 9.99

Pretty decent until you figure out its USD.

What the hell? (n)

They are based in Toronto and can only sell .ca into the Canadian market. Something is wrong here and I am seriously starting to think I might have to send a little email to cira.

I can understand all the other ones charged in USD because they sell globally but the .ca should be charged in Canadian dollars. Most other US based registrars charge .ca in CAD.

Very, Very odd

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I also only sell .ca's in US dollars. The Canadian petrodollar is worthless.

•••
Yes we all sell in USD

Sorry I should clarify

It's a Canadian Registrar, based in Toronto but charging us in USD for a .ca registration.

•••
Pretty standard practice IMO.

Online, USD is basically the universal currency.

&It doesn't really matter that they're based in Canada. If their customers are global, the smart thing to do is unify the payment stream. I wouldn't blame them...

Last edited:
•••
Pretty standard practice IMO.

Online, USD is basically the universal currency.

&It doesn't really matter that they're based in Canada. If their customers are global, the smart thing to do is unify the payment stream. I wouldn't blame them...

.ca is not global, canada only

Even Dynadot charges CAD for a .ca and they are not even in Canada

GoDaddy charges CAD and also not in Canada

See the point

.ca is only available in canada

•••
.ca is not global, canada only

Even Dynadot charges CAD for a .ca and they are not even in Canada

GoDaddy charges CAD and also not in Canada

See the point

.ca is only available in canada

So...register with them? lol.

You can try writing to CIRA, and getting them to make it mandatory for all registrars to sell .ca in CAD, but it's not going to happen.

It's a ridiculous proposition, a hassle for both domainers and registrars, and ultimately bad for business.

•••
  • Many Canadians live south of the border
  • A number of Canadians also hold US citizenship
  • Even non-Canadian entities may qualify for .ca domains eg TM holders
  • Many Canadian businesses including registrars do a lot of business with Americans, and maintain bank accounts in USD, so collecting payment in USD is routine
But they should indeed be able to charge you in CAD. They 'should' show the amount in CAD right away if you are connecting from Canadian IP address. Perhaps if you log in and your profile is set to Canadian user they will switch to the right currency ?

•••
  • Many Canadians live south of the border
  • A number of Canadians also hold US citizenship
  • Even non-Canadian entities may qualify for .ca domains eg TM holders
  • Many Canadian businesses including registrars do a lot of business with Americans, and maintain bank accounts in USD, so collecting payment in USD is routine
But they should indeed be able to charge you in CAD. They 'should' show the amount in CAD right away if you are connecting from Canadian IP address. Perhaps if you log in and your profile is set to Canadian user they will switch to the right currency ?

Nope, all prices are USD

At first glance the $9.99 looks really good and you have to dig a bit to realize it's USD then the value does not seem good anymore.

•••
Well, what a coincidence!
I just visited animus dot com and saw it was owned by them. Clicked through to their main page and I too noticed that they were selling in USD.
Refreshed namePros discussions and there's your thread at the top!

•••
Well, what a coincidence!
I just visited animus dot com and saw it was owned by them. Clicked through to their main page and I too noticed that they were selling in USD.
Refreshed namePros discussions and there's your thread at the top!

That's their standard lander when a client has nothing at the domain, it does not mean hover/tucows owns the domain. (just in case it was a domain of interest to you)

•••
(just in case it was a domain of interest to you)
I read the word in an article and wondered what it meant. After reading the definition, the budding domainer in me took over :xf.smile:

•••
All registrars that sell .ca have to have a physical addresse in canada. @namesilo told me that long ago, they can correct me if I am wrong.

They too list in usd, it sucks. I am currently able to book .ca and .com for less than $8cad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back