Dynadot

Hostgator Offering Domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
From the Hostgator newsletter.

"Watch out GoDaddy!

HostGator is mere weeks away from offering domain registration from our very own domain registrar service. Not only will the registration prices be significantly cheaper than GoDaddy, but you will also receive the legendary 24/7 around the clock support that you have come to know and love from HostGator"

This should be interesting, hostgator has incredible support and service.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Ditto. Be a great plus for them - allowing people who need to get a domain and website up fast do it all in one place cheap - many HostGator customers fall into this category.

However, for people running larger sites and/or containing anything even remotely controversial, often best to keep the domain separate from the content.

Seen too many instances of webhosts suspending domains (ie. in response to a DMCA complaint - should only effect the website content, but some take it further and suspend the domain too) and/or making transfer out difficult and confusing.

Ron

•••
I'm pretty sure those prices shown "ATM" are from a reseller account of theirs - To be sure they wouldn't send out Emails stating
Not only will the registration prices be significantly cheaper than GoDaddy
and then advertise 15$ .com Regs .... I'm no SlowDaddy fan but even I know they beat those prices ;)
It's hopefully something new yet to show up.

•••
I love Hostgator as a host. To have them as my registrar as well would be beyond epic! Hopefully the cost goes lower than $15, though. That's quite a bit more expensive than everyone else.

•••
Well with Go Daddy often offering prices of domains at $7.49 (check for discount codes... there all over the internet.) I've been using one for the past 8 months getting domains at 7.XXish ...

With that said, I think registrars get domains from the registry for around $6.75 each.

Good luck to HostGator on beating prices like that and paying the bills.

•••
FREE Sub-Domains - Get the most out of your domain name by hosting other sites on different sub-domains (called "host records). For example, you can have Example Web Page as your main site, and have a different site at sales.example.com

Isn't this false advertising? Once you own a domain name sub-domains are yours for the taking regardless of domain registrar.

•••
Isn't this false advertising? Once you own a domain name sub-domains are yours for the taking regardless of domain registrar.

That doesn't make it false, just common sense for most people.

•••
oooo, domains "significantly cheaper than GoDaddy" - I like the sound of that! nice PR!! :kickass:

•••
oooo, domains "significantly cheaper than GoDaddy" - I like the sound of that! nice PR!! :kickass:

As stated above, you can't really get much lower without risking bankruptcy.

•••
It'll most likely be "cheap" in comparison to GoDaddy's regular pricing (ie. without coupons).

•••
I think it'll be just another failed experiment on the web :p

•••
Give them time? I know of namecheap to be cheaper then godaddy most of the time. Also you can just pick up a reseller account and most host give out domain name reseller accounts that are lower then that.

•••
So they cost $3.00 more for a .com

Nowhere near significantly cheaper.

•••
•••
Currently they're an eNom reseller. They're apparently becoming a registrar themselves in a few weeks.

HostGator is mere weeks away from offering domain registration from our very own domain registrar service.

•••
I like the idea although I'll probably never use there service. Competition is always a good thing it helps control pricing and bring more benefits to the table for us buyers. Keep it up hostgator and all new services/companies ;)

•••
HG is going to use domains as a value add to their hosting service. Where GD did the opposite by adding crappy hosting as a value add to registration. HG has the better plan. Godaddy is one of the worst registrars online. HostGator should get investors to cough up enough to buy out GD.

•••
HG is going to use domains as a value add to their hosting service. Where GD did the opposite by adding crappy hosting as a value add to registration. HG has the better plan. Godaddy is one of the worst registrars online. HostGator should get investors to cough up enough to buy out GD.

Wouldn't that be awesome. I agree with you, it would be the opposite and I believe HG would/could provide a better service. Saying that though, I still wouldn't have hosting and domain at the same place. But I guess most people don't really care or apply any thought to that.

I think HG would likely price domains at or around the same as GoDaddy (without the coupon code pricing). Any lower than this and it could be a struggle for them to make it a worthwhile business plan.

I doubt I would move any of my names to HG (at least not yet) but as someone else said above, competition is good for us so all the best to 'em.

•••
I really like this idea, it should really work out if the price is right.

•••
Before I started domaining, I thought a domain cost about $100 a year. This was around 2002. So ya see, a lot of non-domainers don't know what 'cheap' really is. $15 sounds ridiculously high to us but there are some ppl who believe HG's pricing is low. And I know ppl might say, "Buyers research." That's only true a portion of the time, sadly -- at least when it comes to domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back